Turning 18, mom still wants to hold things over my head?

I'm not a bad kid. I don't party, I don't drink, I'm still a virgin, and I do good in school. But she is still talking about controlling me. "No boyfriends, no going out, no second job, no no no." She always says "you'll be living under my roof and under my rules." And she says "I'll still be supporting you so you're still going to be under my rules".
Ill be living in a college dorm, not her roof. I'd rather screw myself using college loans than have somebody holding stuff over my head

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, she has a point. You live with her so she makes the rules. You do have every right to be annoyed by it though and if you move out and live by yourself, it is you who make the rules for yourself.

Just some serious advice from me: Don't go into the opposite extreme. Many people who have had quite a controlling upbringing like you and then get into a situation where they suddenly have lots of freedom overdo it. Take it slow. You will not miss out, if you do.

Most Helpful Girl

• duhh she a mom!

What Guys Said 3

• This is more of a rant than it is a question. There's nothing wrong with parents expecting their rules to be followed. What does turning 18 even mean? What are you fully grown and ready for life? Lol. Kids are so funny. "I turned 18 so now you can't talk to me anymore." Smh. She's your mom and always will be, you better listen to her.

• You're but a baby in this world. Hard mode doesn't even start until 27. Enjoy the training wheels while you got them kid.

• What are you asking? Tell her that you'll be living in a college dorm and to cut the umbilical cord... I don't know if I spelt that correctly

What Girls Said 4

• Turning 18 doesn't automatically make you an adult.

Also, she's your mom. She's always gonna do this.

• you're mom is over protective

• Until you move out your mom will always hold things over your head, because it's her home. She pays the bills, and etc. it's just how things go.

• Your mom is... well, your mom.