How can I leave Islam?

I don't want to be part of it anymore after what happened in Orlando this week.

My brother is gay and I don't want to be a follower of a faith that condones killing him because of who he is.

Trouble is my family is strict conservative Muslims... my sister has already been married off.

I want to leave it, but I don't know what will happen.

Most Helpful Girl

• and here's your "sword of the intellect" as some other muslim here said.
    intellect my ass. then here u have poor people like this guy fearing for their lives if they leave. :(

look man, I'm really sorry u feel this way. you need to ask yourself some questions.

1. if you leave, what will u become? what will u believe in, if anything at all?
    2. would u be willing to start your life over?
    3. are you afraid more of the consequences of leaving, or continuing to be a believer?
    4. would you be strong enough to confront your family about it eventually?

answer these within yourself, and only within yourself. it's going to be a tough decision. one that may take a month or 2, but you need to think very carefully. do what's right for you, but make sure you stay safe.

Most Helpful Guy

• Good Idea, In my personal opinion all religion is bullshit to me, but that's just me. And if you do actually believe god, then why do people conform to religion and follow teachings and rules written by humans, if god does exist, he doesn't exist in books made by humans, he didn't wright them right? so you dont need a religion to believe in God. But i don't believe in god and i find religion all bullshit. I suggest not telling your parents until you can leave, i have heard of many strict muslim families beating/executing their family members over the most tedious things. But hey that can happen in all religions.

What Girls Said 9

• MAlthough you Feel it Might be a Better Deal to Leave your Faith, I know what can happen If you Should... And it's Not Good.
    You Could very well Face Persecution, Imprisonment, Execution, as well as death threats, as well as ostracization from their own Community.
    It is Best from the Rest at this Point of Terrible Times to Stay Put, for you have already Stipulated that your own 'Family is strict conservative Muslims and your 'Sister has already been married off.'
    As far as your Bro, who I know the Shooter in Florida had this "Identity Crisis," all I can Say is many people in Life do not Understand, No one is Born of any God Asking to be Gay, they just Are, During to the Hormones they are Given.
    However, if you want, Deep down, Begin a Beguine of Beginning to know Jesus Christ for Some day, I promise you, HE is the Only One who can Save One's Own Soul.
    Good luck. xx

• No one can make you a believer. If you don't want to, then don't. To leave a religion over the actions of a disturbed, fucked up psycho is sad. I know many Muslims who are not homophobic. There is good and bad in all religions. It's your responsibility to take the good.

• You just have to be brave and go for it, how is your brother coping? Surely he is having to deal with not being accepted considering he's gay and all...

• Only I and a handful of his close friends know...

Our parents don't... they can't find out though.

• Maybe the two of you could leave together, at least you can support each other.

• I dont blame you a bit. You need to find some way to get out. I am sure there are people like you that has gotten out. Hope you can...

• Also... when you do get out. If you feel safe enough... you need to spread the word of what Islam really is. That it isn't a religion of peace but of violence.

• just don't tell anyone. I'm guessing they probably don't know your brother's gay, why foes anyone need to know you're leaving islam

• There are no official documents saying that you are Muslim, that's only in your mind. If you really want to leave it just do not identify yourself as Muslim.

• You must flip them off on the way out the door and use a jet pack

http://d2ws0xxnnorfdo.cloudfront.net/meme/230295

Be your own person, never let anyone control your life, the words you need will come, and their hatred of you for your decision will be the proof you need to know that you want nothing to do with them.

• I know nothing about Islam, but I do know that majority of them are not evil. Only extremists do evil just like any other religion. Just becasue a couple of people were monsters, doesn't mean all 1.6 billion of you are. <3

• One individual's stupid action can't be attributed to any religion. Islam nowhere sanctions or allows it. Better to first study Quran, then decided if you want to say good bye to Islam.

What Guys Said 11

• Do you still live with them? If so I'd just wait until you can leave and then just stop reading it praying and shit they'll never know. If you don't then just stop and don't tell them I can only image their reaction wouldn't be good.

• I would just go study whatever you want want to convert to. If it's atheism, so be it. If td Christianity, so be it. You don't have to make a big announcement.

• It's your life dude. If you don't want to be Islamic, then don't be.

• Visit Church and ask for advice. I can't tell you more cos you're anonymous and I dont know location and customs.

• Where exactly do you live.

First get a good job, a place to stay. Then simply tell your parents you no longer adhere to Islamic faith.

I mean you're the only person who can take that step. Better take your brother with you as well.

• Just denounce your religion and never look back. I suggest converting to Christianity.

• There are many religions whichever one you have in mind go to that place of worship and talk to the one person in charge and talk to him or her. You will not be judged for your curiousity

• Same way you leave anything

• there are groups in most countries that will/can help. look for secularist groups online

• religion is a choice

• You can't