What is a good first car?

So I finally got my driver's license.. at 21.. on the fourth try.. but WOOHOO! Lool.
Driving was definitely NOT an easy thing for me, and still is not.. I still have a fear of it but I guess I know the basics.
Is it normal to still fear that the upcoming road I am driving on will be a DIFFERENT UNIVERSE that I will be thrown into and NOT know what to do? Lol.
Is it also normal to be so bad at backing into a parking spot, parallel parking, or anything in reverse for that matter... I definitely need practice with this.

Now, I am getting my first actual car to practice on. I don't consider me passing the test as an I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT DRIVING MOVE ASIDE EVERYONE.
No, lol.
I consider it an "okay, you know the basics. Now keep practicing" because that's what I need to do.
So my parents will be getting me a car for me to practice on, therefore it will NOT be a nice car of course. There's is a van and I've drove it before and just.. no. Lol. I do not like driving a larger vehicle when I know I still need practice.
What are some good starter cars? What do you recommend for insurance wise? Which cars are the cheapest insurance wise?
Any tips in general for a new driver.. Lol
Why do I still feel nervous when my parents, friends, and instructor say I am good?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want to learn how to drive a car.
    I suggest an older model without all the fancy computer getting in the way between you and the road.
    Something that is light and manoeuvrable which makes it easier to handle , good visibility without the big A-pillars in the modern cars blocking your vision , something with readily available parts so in case something happens it'd be cheap to repair.
    Mazda Miata NA.
    Mini Coopers before the year 2000.
    Acura RSX
    Subaru Impreza WRX
    Acura Integra.

Just to name a few.

• I thought Acura's replacement parts were pretty expensive, I use to have a TL and that thing cost me some money getting work done on it if I couldn't do it myself.

• @jwhit
      See , it's like these American cars. Their solution to any problem is by throwing more displacement at it.
      The GM LS-1 , say the L92 , 6.2L. It makes... 403 to the crank.
      The Nissan VR38DETT V6 , 3.8L , 478 to the crank.
      I don't even know why do people still buy American cars when they are so damn inefficient as compared to Japanese and European engines.

• Pride, but they just don't make em like they use to.

What Guys Said 9

• It's normal to feel nervous. I would recommend getting a smaller vehicle or mid size SUV like a ford Escape or a Toyota CR-V or RAV4 because of the height. You get a greater height of view. I've used Geico in the past but I received a lot of discounts. It's best to shop around and get a lot of quotes. anything that is not inherently a sport car ie Mustang will be cheaper for insurance.

• Your lack of confidence in yourself is probably your biggest issue. If you don't trust yourself, you'll hesitate at moments when you need to be confident and decisive. You don't want to be all "OhmygodwhatdoIdo?" when you're in the middle of an intersection at a left turn waiting for a break in the oncoming traffic and the light turns red.
    Definitely get as much practice as you can with your parents in the car.

How much money are you looking to spend?

• Looking to spend cheap.. so something like up to $1000 (heh).
      I cannot drive with my parents though. Oh gosh they just start yelling over EVERYTHING and makes me never want to drive again. I really think I would drive better alone and be more calm. Or a friend or my brother.

You are so right about the confidence. I THINK I don't know anything.. but I do. Lol

• Okay, so it sounds like it's your parents fault you're not confident. Good idea keeping them out of the car.
      If your brother is a good driver and will let you drive him around, then do that! Or friends, though that might not be as productive for you since it might be harder to be learning while you're "hanging out" at the same time.

I'm not sure what part of Canada you're in but I imagine the cars are about the same up there as in the US... Chevy Caviler, Pontiac Sunfire, Grand Am / Grand Prix, Buick Regal, Ford Escort, Focus, Dodge Neon, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra...
      Those are probably the sorts of cars you'll be able to find in decent shape for under $1k.

• Its all in your head is why your nervous. Just feel the car and drive. You gotta trust yourself and the car.
    Before I even go into what kinda cars. Where do you live? Do you get a lot of snow where you live? What kind of roads are you going to be driving on? How long do you want this car to last? I could easily sell you on a car. that cost $1000 but will only last 6 months lol. How much money are you looking to spend?

• I live in Canada, but in an area that doesn't snow as much.
      Mostly solid roads, but some hills here and there. I would need it to last at least a year.
      I am willing to spend up to $1000

• Honda or Toyota sedan.
    Cheap insurance, decent safety. Not sure of your budget but the more recent the car, the more safe.

• Honda civic wins, don't listen to these other people, it is safe, reliable, cheap on gas, good turnaround when you want to sell it and oh... insurance is dirt cheap. I don't own it but i have driven a lot of them.

• You want something reliable but not perfect. YOu need to learn the cost of repair and the value of a car that will last. 98 grandam will do you just fine, you'll probably have to repair some stupid shit for cheap but it will pay out in the end. That and grand ams are pretty damn near indestructible.

• I'm such a car guy it's not healthy
    I can't answer this as I'll need at least 30 to 35 pages to do so 😂

• Honda, Toyota, and Nissans are pretty reliable.

• The resale value of Nissans droops like a flaccid dick as soon as it rolls off the showroom floor.
      Honda's are king.

• I don't know much about those cars since I'm too big for them lol

• Don't know much about those front wheel drived cars but if logic goes they should be pretty easy to drive.

• Just don't get a Ford car like mine, it never wants to start!

• Lol reallly!
      I was thinking maybe I'll go with a honda or toyota..
      but oh god am I nervous about my first drive ALONE :///

• Yeah my car takes five cranks to start atleast! Today my legs got sweaty from waiting for it to start.

• Your cute!

What Girls Said 0