F is wrong with steam?

Anyone else buy games just to realize they don't work, or start up and randomly crash , has bugs. Shouldn't steam not advertise these games? Its such bs.

0|0
1|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Either your hardware sucks and can't launch a game or you're buying random games from third parties without doing any background reading or looking at the reviews on steam beforehand. If it crashes like that, refund it. Before you void your refund ability.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• From a developer's perspective, game development targeting a wide range of hardware tends to be incredibly difficult when simultaneously pushing the hardware (ex: complex GPU shaders), since the edge cases often don't show up within the hardware and drivers available among the internal team.

A lot of companies these days tend to be releasing what should be alpha stage software with the misconception that you can quickly ship patches and that testing publicly against the widest possible audience is a good thing. It's actually quite opposite: you want as few testers as possible in order to fix 99% of the issues, and the go to the wide audience to search for issues that never showed up (like organizing a massive group of people to search for needles in haystacks).

Going to wide testing early, and especially so early that you're releasing software that should still be in the testing cycle, tends to not even work as a successful strategy even in the long term, since the amount of negative feedback will often send developers into a panic, starting to put band-aids over symptoms instead of fixing root causes.

The reason companies continue to adopt this horrid trend that degrades software quality and leaves a bad taste with customers is because they still end up getting people to purchase the software. Basically it's a successful tactic business-wise even though it really ignores a lot of software engineering discipline.

With Steam, it also takes very little to greenlight a game, so all kinds of people can publish software on there which hasn't had proper quality assurance. That said, this problem isn't isolated to those: AAA games are also starting to adopt this kind of rush mentality.

0|0
    0|0
    • should I email steam support for a refund? or somewhere else, and if you can please post a web address I should contact.

• You might be able to contact the develop and/or Steam. If it's like an indie game, a lot of developers will grant refunds if you show them like a screenshot of the crash, or potentially work with you personally to fix the issue.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 6

• If you knew half of the dregs on steam that I know you would understand. Steam has basically no quality assurance and hides behind the excuse that they are not responsible over the product that is being sold. The most they sometimes do is ensure it boots up..

Steam used to be a mark of quality and now it is cashing that trust in with broken shit.

0|0
    0|0
    • at least you can get refunds.

• Show All
    • I didn't buy that game.

• @Josht13 Just saying. Triple A game from the largest publisher and some people could not even run it. It was the game that started the refund policy on steam and was literally taken off the site until it was... "kind of" fixed.

• There is a section where there are reviews by users. You should perhaps do your homework before you buy.

0|0
    0|0
  • haven't been on steam forever.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hey now, they are just a third party. Take it up with ThinkTank games!

0|0
    0|0
  • Which game? Also get a refund for the game.

0|0
    0|0
    • Clockworks empire and Folktale always crash. Clockworks doesn't even start a new game

• I'm not a gamer anymore I don't know

0|0
    0|0