Why is the weight considered chubby for women are considered skinny for men?

why is the weight considered chubby for women are considered skinny for men? ( Both are at the same height)

Most Helpful Girl

• It's more about body fat percentage and women have to have a higher body fat percentage than men. We carry fat differently than men do. Body mass index isn't the best way to determine if someone is overweight because someone could have a lot of muscle. According to the BMI I'm at 24 which is borderline overweight. I get my body fat percentage checked regularly at my gym and I am 22% which is fine for a woman. My personal trainer is helping me to build muscle so I weigh a bit more because of my muscle mass. I'm looking to get my percentage down to around 15%. If I were a guy however, my percentage would be 12% and that is considered athletic for a guy.

• I have high body fat percenrage but I am called skinny. So it is not about body fat percantage.

• It is about body mass index and men are supposed look bigger not to be called skinny.

• The question is why men are supposed to look big not to be called skinny.

Most Helpful Guy

• Men are supposed to be bigger, so a 170lb man is normal, while a 170lb women is on the chubby side if height is equal.

• I am 145 IBS but I dont find myself skinny. Being at a normal body mass index should not be seen skinny.

• BMI is BS.
      I know people who are considered skinny and overweight who are healthy as shit.

Also, I used to be skinny as well, but I always worked out so it didn't matter to me. I was healthy. Still am.

• I dont understand why being at the BMI of 22 is seen as skinny. It is quite a normal weight.

What Girls Said 9

• I am not sure what weight you are talking about.
    It's not secret however that women store way more body fat and men are able to quickly gain muscle.
    It would make sense that a weight considered "chubby" for a woman can be "lean" weight for a man.
    Our bodies are very different.

• *It's no secret

• @Gommers

People call you skinny according to your body mass index, not body fat percentage. I think you know that?

• No matter how high body fat percentage you have, if you have a low body mass index, you look skinny.

• Because men have more muscle and muscle is heavier than fat.

• Height, muscle to fat ratio, etc...

• I said both are at the same height.

• I didn't read that part, my bad.
      Then either muscle to fat ratio, or people judge without a picture and anything above 110 lbs for a female is too big, according to societal standards.

• @redshift 's comment
      Even at the same height men have larger and denser bones and muscles than women. Also larger organs. Also fat distribution between men and women is different.

• Biologically women need for fat then men. Men can be lean. Male bones and muscle mass is greater than a woman. so you look leaner versus a woman. Difference in the sexes.

• I have high body fat but I am called skinny. I am far from being lean but called skinny :D I've never been lean in my life. Never. I am endomorph. I always have high body fat skinny or not.

• Yea, but you muscle mass and bone mass is still greater than a womans.

• I guess cause girls carry more fat biologically

• There is a thing called skinny fat so it is not about fat. It is about men being supposed to look much bigger to be called normal unlike women.

• What makes you skinny is your body mass index, not your body fat percentage. The less weight you have, the skinnier you look.

• I don't know what you're trying to ask

• Girls are generally shorter and have more fat

• I said both are at the same height. The same body mass index.

• I'd say average weight on a woman is skinny for men, because of differences in bone structure and muscle mass. But people pressure women to be thinner than is healthy, so something like 5'9 and 150-160, which is a healthy body for a woman, is unfairly seen as too fat.

• (this is @redshift 's comment) which is true)

• i dont know how much (i didn't see this earlier) a woman that height should weigh, but all you gotta do is look at her arms or stomach to see what is overweight. Sometimes numbers can't tell us everything bc bone structure, and other things. by the way 110 at 5'8 seems underweight, but 160 seems a little overwieght to me hearing the numbers for a woman.

But since your a woman dont even consider what i just said when looking at yourself bc women go overboard when they hear something about their weight. Thats why anorexia is such a big problem

(just searched it and im right)
      www.rush.edu/.../what-is-a-healthy-weight
      see y'all go overboard, 110 would be about 20 pound overwieght and the 160 is almost overwiehgt

• People now think anorexia is a form of anxiety disorder, like OCD.

I mean that, like men, individual body build, frame and musculature matter for weight. A chick (or guy) who works out and has more muscle mass will weigh more than one who doesn't. Etc.

• Because females are expected in this society to have ridiculously tiny bodies otherwise they're "fat". It's sad. Guys are allowed to get away with more.

• guys have more muscle<----- and fat guys are fat guys. Its women who accept fat guys writing all these mytakes on how fat guys are great. I mean guys like me are spending time working in the gym watchin our diets (i do it mostly for myself though) and all SOME women have to say is we like fat lazy men what?

• because she would be. I mean this is simple biology that men have move muscle even if they have a sedentary lifestyle. More body mass, organs... blah blah blah redshift covered that, but also compare a female basketball player to a male basketball player at the same height. Women naturally look fatter at a lower weight.

NOW women tend to push other women (studies prove that women body shame/slut shame more than men (and vice versa men to other men)) into looking anoxeic and shit which is bad though.

• the comment above yours was from the asker

What Guys Said 5

• Most likely, the guy has more muscle.

• Even at the same height men have larger and denser bones and muscles than women. Also larger organs. Also fat distribution between men and women is different.

• It's not really about the actual number. It's more about what kind of weight it is. You can be 150LBS with 30% fat, or you can be 150LBS with 8% fat. Women generally tend to carry more fat

• I think its the way wher built, likeim 6'3 and i way 190 and you can clearly see my ribs but if a girl wayed that shed probly be a walkin circle so I don't know

• Different bone structures