Is this considered sad. to still live at home at age 23?

I am 23 and still live at home. There are reasons as to why, but is it considered sad that I am 23 and still live with my parents? I live at home bc of a cultural practice. Mostly it's because I don't have a steady job and while I can move with a roomate, there might be days where I don't work so money may be issue at some point. Plus I have major social anxiety even around friends. I also still live with my dad bc he got very sick and I feel guilty for even thinking of moving out. The thing is my sister moved out. She doesn't care about my strict parents or our culture and she has a steady income. I just feel like a loser. I am older. I should have my life together.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it'd be really healthy for you to move out. Often being in that kind of protected environment with family while having social anxiety will prevent you from ever growing out of it.

Try to imagine where you will be in the next ten years if you don't move out soon, and see if you like that picture. Can you become an adult by then who is comfortable navigating the world, living on your own, dating on your own, looking for jobs on your own? You might end up just being stuck at home all your life.

Fear of social situations will always drive you back to your home as a kind of safety place while the only people you might talk to all the time is your family who might not be able to relate to your lifestyle, desires, etc. as much as people of the same age. You're not really exposed to the world.

The problem is that it's going to be scarier than usual for you to leave the home because of that social anxiety, but simultaneously staying there is never going to allow you to overcome it. It takes that one bold move for a bird to leap off from its next and take flight.

I did that late in my early 20s, suffered terrible social anxiety to the point where I was afraid to even answer the door out of fear of an awkward social interaction. I had to just go for it and make that one bold move, and it involved traveling to the other side of the world. My whole life changed after that, and it's only then that I really started becoming an adult.

• bird to leap off from its next [/next] and take flight.

• doh, *nest*.

• Note that as people pointed out, it's not necessarily bad to be in your 20s and living with your parents, but the problem to me is that social anxiety. It's what's going to make leaving the home terrifying, but I think you need that bold step to start to mature properly.

Most Helpful Girl

• You are not a loser. The only thing that makes me sad about this is that you are sad about it. We all have our own pace and things will work out for you eventually. You do what you feel is right and don't worry about what other people might think. I don't think 23 is old at all, at least it's normal from where I'm from. I know someone who moved out at 29, which for most people is considered late, still she was never considered sad or a loser.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't see any problems with it. I lived with my parents until I was 26 because university education takes much longer in my country than in most others. In some countries, living at home is also a cultural practice. For example my girlfriend comes from South Korea and in Korea it is completely normal to live with your parents until you get married (which usually happens between 27-30. Even if you've got a steady job, you still live with your parents until you move in with your husband/wife. So no, I don't see a problem with it. In my opinion, everything until 30 is totally normal/okay. If you're 50 and you still live with your mom, that's a little weird.

• You are still young so you shouldn't feel bad. Just save money while you have the chance to and when you are ready you will be prepared.

• lol

if you're not lazy, the the economy we live in now is much more harsher so just work hard.

no its not

i moved out way later and i saved

What Girls Said 2

• No i think it's understandable

• It's fine. If you use this time to save up, you'll be much better off in the long run.