Rate this Mythological Creature: The Dragon?

The Dragons are viewed as mythical creatures, typically depicted as gigantic and powerful serpents or other reptiles with magical, spiritual or supernatural qualities. Most dragons are either European dragons, derived from various, European folk traditions, or unrelated, Oriental dragons, derived from the Chinese dragon.

Like most other mythological creatures, dragons are perceived in different ways by different cultures. Dragons are sometimes said to breathe and spit fire or poison as well as many other elements. They are commonly portrayed as serpentine or reptilian, hatching from eggs and possessing typically feathered or scaly bodies. They are sometimes portrayed as having large, yellow or red eyes, a feature that is the origin for the word for dragon in many cultures. They are sometimes portrayed with a row of dorsal spines, keeled scales, or leathery, bat-like wings. Winged dragons are usually portrayed only in European dragons while Oriental versions of the dragon resemble large snakes. Dragons can have a variable number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature. Modern depictions of dragons tend to be larger than their original representations, which were often smaller than humans.

Although dragons occur in many legends around the world, different cultures have varying stories about monsters that have been grouped together under the dragon label. Dragons are often held to have major, spiritual significance in various religions and cultures around the world. In many East Asian cultures, dragons were, and in some cultures, still are, revered as representative of the primal forces of nature, religion and the universe. They are associated with wisdom—often said to be wiser than humans—and longevity. They are commonly said to possess some form of magic or other supernatural power or powers, and are often associated with wells, rain, and rivers. In some cultures, they are also said to be capable of human speech.

• 5/5 my favorite mythological creature
  • 4/5 i like it a lot
  • 3/5 meh they are ok
  • 2/5 i dont really like it
  • 1/5 i hate it
  • 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!
Realized I never did one of these for the Dragon soooo

@Mustachekitteh @fauchelevent @meatballs21 @RJGraveyTrain @CocoRachelle @vishna @RedThread @Afro-dite9 @AzureGirl @ClariceOwen23 @Prof_Don @mooky06 @BelleGirl21 @EmpatheticLady @archiz @ConsultantIsBack @Smmyskittles @OrdinaryGentleman @This_is_my_username @justbanANNAz

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 12

What Guys Said 12

• Dragons are everywhere in Wales, including the flag:

http://tomjonestribute.com/Welsh_Dragon.jpg

http://wdemb.co.uk/images/thirstydragonover.jpg

Even had one of these as the mascot riding in the back window of my car:

www.harpanddragon.com/.../My121707.jpg

• Are there any real world counterparts to the dragon, in the sense of having four limbs AND a set of wings? Because typically most creatures that fly (without gliding), have throughout evolution turned their front limbs in to wings. They didn't develop a separate pair all together.

It is for this reason I prefer Wyverns (or whatever they were called) because, disregarding fantasy, they seem a bit more grounded and ever so slightly more probable.

• They are okay. I prefer reapers though because of the coldly objective, natural order thing governing their behavior.

One question I wonder about dragons--and I would appreciate it if any of our evolutionary biologists and psychologists could chime in--is if their universal appearance in so many human society's cultures could be rooted in a deep primal fear of reptiles from when our tiny mammalian ancestors had to live in a world dominated by dinosaurs.

Is this possible? Could evolution produce "memory" for lack of a better term or leave such a primal imprint on the brain?

• You got it, sir! You got my favorite mythical creature, this one is the one true 5 to me xD

The one in the 8th picture, to be more specific, the dragons that stand for good fortune and power, the long snake like dragons who fly without wings

• I'm a bastion for human supremacy in my fantasy settings, no doubt I'd have had all the dragons slain by the superior species.

• 5/5
    DRAGONS ARE FUCKING AWESOME.
    THEY ARE GIANT REPTILES,
    THEY FLY,
    THEY TERRORIZE OR PROTECT TOWNS DEPEDNING ON WHETHER THEY ARE GOOD OR EVIL
    THEY BREATH FIRE.
    I LOVE THEM

• One of my favorites when done right.

• Rah rah, like a dungeon Dragon!!

• 5/5 would khaleesi

• A little over used, but still pretty cool.

• The most amazing mythological creature

• my prefrence is european based dragon folklore i prefere the whole wings and such