How do you deal with speeches in front of people?

Whether a small group or an entire audience. Do you find it hard to do? How often if at all do you have to do it?

Personally, I used to be almost completely unable to speak in front of a class, which I can now do pretty much easily. Don't know about massive crowds though.

• Speeches come easy for me.
  • I can if I have to, but I don't like it.
  • Speeches are really hard for me.
  • There's no way I can give a speech.
  • Dude, results.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• The easiest think in the world.

I've always found it easy, prepared or not. I've embarrassed myself talking in front of people before at a very young age and the embarrassment was never so bad, ultimately.

• How did you embarrass yourself? :O

• @mistixs Forgetting my speech, being ill prepared. But I always finalized top 2 in the class in all the speech competitions every year throughout middle school anyway. Received a Merit for Level 6 Speech And Drama Exams where I reviewed a book I had never read for a speech exam and I wasn't embarrassed. Examiner didn't even know. Won the Shakespeare contest in High School. One of the drama teachers hated my delivery, thought I was monotonous, but I knew was I was doing.

Formal presentations are easy and fun.

Now I do poetry and acting and kind of do deliberately weird, abstract cabaret performances on stage regularly. A few people laugh at me, though it's not really comedy, I don't mind. I just don't care if I'm embarrassing myself or not. I find public speaking the easiest thing in the world and I get excited to do it.

What Girls Said 26

• talking in front of people is not fun; i can, if i have to, but i don't enjoy it.

if i did have to give a speech, i would likely 1) take ativan beforehand, 2) come prepared with notes, queue cards, and a bottle of water, and 3) keep it as short as possible.

most people with anxiety are afraid of large crowds. but i almost prefer them~ it's smaller groups, in which i can identify individuals (especially those i may know) that stress me out.

• I had had to give presentations/speeches several times before and i just know the one thing is not to over breathe by that i mean not allowing your breathing which increases because of nerves, so i always have some water with me it helps to calm me down before i start to talk, also add a little humor in your speeches so when the crowd laughs you feel more at ease and they won't be bored, so make that speech exciting and express yourself confidently even if nerves are crippling you, say the words like you mean it, keep little card notes with catch words so you don't forget all you want to talk about and cover, one last tip is look above their heads not directly at any individual and remember they are human beings if you are nervous they will be too for you so deliver as best you can.

• Honestly, I overcame my fear when I realized nobody really cared how I did. Most of them are off in Lala land, or worried about having to speak next.

• I used to get really anxious, but I pushed myself into speaking regularly in front of the entire school (about 800 people) and boy let me tell you, it gets so much easier with practice!!

I also do debating and UN youth which requires some on the spot thinking, and that helps a lot too.

I've gotten so good that my entire English class looks forward to hear me speak when we have to do an oral presentation lol.

• The bigger the audience is the more is an ecstasy of standing in front of them.
    Well... That's my place.
    I feel so confident, I feel so fulfilled that It is even hard to describe with words.
    And that feeling when hundreds of shiny eyes look at you and wait what your next word is going to be... Just amazing.
    That's a moment when all my confidence, all my charm and charisma come out and I am just who I am.
    And when they applaud after my speech I feel like I stand on the peak of mountain and as if my hands are spread like in movies. I smile and the feeling I have that time... That's the feeling I can compare only to orgasm. And sometimes I think that It is a special kind of orgasm.
    God, I am created for public speaking.

• I memorize them. I take notecards up with me (if allowed to) and write the first sentence of each part of my speech so I can look down if needed and get the reminder I need.

• Honestly, I just tend to intertwine humor into all of my speeches and sort of pretend I'm acting out a character: makes the whole process a lot easier because I'm already eccentric as it is.

• it s all about practice and preparation.
    I am usually awkward with those things but luckily no one notices cs I have a good sense of control.
    there are many ways to make it easier:
    practice, when you have to do it several times it gets easier.
    when you notice others being intimidated by it, you feel sort off better like we re all in this together
    also you can just make light of the situation and joke around while presenting that would make it more pleasant.
    other than that is preparation. I have an oral presentation coming up in a few days and they key for it to go well is preparation. memorize your content pretty well, train and time yourself, use visual representations and pointers.

• I think I'd be better off giving a speech infront of a crowd of strangers than giving a speech to people I know. I stutter a lot infront of people I know but I don't when I'm talking to strangers. I don't really know why..

• I'm pretty similar. I couldn't give any less of a fuck about a complete stranger's opinion of me lol

• I feel a lot more confident infront of strangers lol because they don't know things about you and they could develop new first impressions.

• Giving a speech in front of a small group of people is easy, especially if I know them. If I give one in front of people I don't know or a large group then I'll end up crying.

• I can if I have to, but don't like it. I've had to make speeches in front of a lot of people tons of times before. I get a bit of anxiety, but I just take a deep breathe and go.

• The thing is, it most likely the anxiety people experience once they go up and present their practices. Taking an public speaking class will certainly help one overcome their social anxiety. :)

• I'm a teacher and once in a month in our school there will be like one teacher who has to give speech related to the school issues. So far I'm okay with it.

• If I know my stuff and have practiced it thoroughly... I quite enjoy giving presentations. If I'm not prepared, then I really don't like it. Practice and preparation is key.

• Don't like speeches, will avoid speeches, they give me butterflies and make me nervous as hell.

• I've given 7 speeches so far, and each time I hated it. I get so nervous and shaky, I say "um" and "excuse me" a lot if I pronounce a word incorrectly.

• It was hard then I found out that I just need more practice. Now I'm fine with it

• It's terrible for me! I get super nervous and i start blushing and trembling and ugh it's just awful. I can barely walk or talk...

• Love it love it love it. I may be a closet thrill seeker but I enjoy the way my heart goes into my throat.

• I took speech classes in college and even in hs took some acting classes so I'm not too nervous while doing them unless I'm unprepared.

• I find it really hard, whenever I give speech I stare at mic's center or slightly above people's head so it seems like I am looking at them while speaking and in worst case scenario I do not wear glasses to make the world around me blur.

• It's easy really. i just have to know my subject perfectly and it go alone.

• I would if I had to... but yeah not liking it

• I'm still struggling with this

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 21

• I'm the opposite of the norm. Speaking in front of crowds doesn't bother me. It's easy even, but speaking with just one person and I'm um-uh. . . uh-um. The way I see it is a crowd of people, who cares what they think of me, I probably don't even know most of them. But speaking one on one, that's personal, and they know me. That's scary.
    Plus I love words.

• As I've gotten older, In my late thirties/early forties, it's no problem whatsoever. I'm confident in the material I'm presenting, and Therefore, have no problems with anyone in the audience - I relate to them personally, making eye contact and engaging them by asking questions and opinions.
    However, I have shot my laser pointer at a couple douch bags. . .

• I had a terrible time with speeches in high school. I didn't get over my fear till college. Basically like playing a sport and becoming good at it. Practice Practice Practice. can't stress that enough. Spaces come easy to me. I highly recommend you fave your fears of species because of the confidence it can give you and how that can lead you into better roles as your life. Like management roles in employment.

• It was hard for me when I was in high school but when I went to college, I got used to it because I was required to do presentations for a lot of the courses that I took.

Now, it doesn't bother me at all since I do presentations all the time for work. I just hate the prep work that comes with it.

• Avoid it at all costs if possible lol. I had to give a presentation when I was in high school and it was a big one, worth like 1/3 or maybe even 1/2 of my overall grade for the class and I just didn't do it because I didn't want to present it in front of the class.

• I've done it many times and I like it. It's easy for me and I never got nervous.

• I have a very domineering demeanor. I pulled a 20-minute speech from my ass in front of 250 people lol as well zero prep

• Jimmy Carr has 2 tips for that https://youtu.be/rLcbONu4jwg

• I deal with it by imagining they are my friends at a dinner table. All of a sudden the 'fear' goes away. Thats how I deal with it.

• By avoiding them

• I can if I have to, but I hate them A LOT

• It's pretty easy for me.

• They are really easy for me I don't dear the audience lol

• I can if I have to. Being born a natural good liar you create those improvisation skills on stage which are quite useful.

• like anything else.. practice makes perfect.

• Despite being somewhat shy and introverted speeches came easy to me.

• I'd rather go into a sea of snakes than do public speaking as long as they are not poisonous.

• I fart to let out all the tension dude!

• pretend you are adolf hitler standing infront of 20.0000 german people explaining to them with a passion how you are going make germany a better place.

• I avoid.
    If I can't then I remove glasses. Helps to reduce discomfort caused by glares. If it's a technical presentation then I keep glasses on but my attention would be more on screen so that's usually nice.
    If none of above is possible then I just look at people's forehead.

I can't even talk with group of 5 or more friends but I've successfully given many presentations in front of near 2,500 people.

• I'm probably going to vote B, though that's not entirely accurate.

I would say:
    - its a little challenging, I feel nervous, I feel confident that I can do it well.

The idea that you'll do it with no anxiety is unrealistic. Instead we should all recognize that anxiety is normal, and not worry ABOUT being anxious.