Is it inappropriate if a single man took a young homeless girl into his home?

What if he was in his 20s, single, and lived alone, yet felt like he should reach out to a homeless teen girl who ran away from a life of physical or sexual abuse? Would you think that's inappropriate? What if she had no one else out there to help her but this one guy? And he had no kind of sexual or romantic interest in her, just wanted to try to do what he could to help. Would you think that's wrong for a young single man to do? Just a hypothetical question because people often think there's something wrong or inappropriate about a single man trying to reach out to kids in need.

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering you're seen as a pedo just for sitting alone in a bench with kids around, you should be careful if you take a homeless girl into your house. I wouldn't be surprised if someone sees you and calls the police.

What Girls Said 30

• As long as his intentions were for her best interests, and not to manipulate her because he had ulterior motives. I have a profound empathy for homeless people. They all have a story to tell for the reasons behind their circumstances

If a guy took in a homeless person I'd admire him and think he was selfless and kind hearted

. Most homeless people need someone to look beyond their exterior, and just want people to see them as a person , someone who really does want a better life for themselves , but aren't strong enough to do it alone.

• Nothing wrong at all however if I were the man I'd be very hesitant about taking her in. She's a minor, living with me against her parent's wishes whether they be abusive or not is setting myself up for a nice trip to the police station. Her parents would obviously be psycho and that shouldn't stop them from filing false rape and kidnapping claims. Men need to be careful in whatever they do. Women can get away with a lot especially when it comes to minors but men? Forget about it.

If I were a guy I'd only take her in if I knew she was 18, that way I'd have no legal repercussions to face. If not then I'd take her to the police station or a shelter for run aways but certainly not to my own home. Also people are crazy and since she's damaged she might steal or set you up to get robbed. It's nice to want to help people, but I believe you're better off giving them the proper tools and resources. Sending them to places that specialize in things like that is not only protecting the person but also yourself.

• Yeah, that's definitely true. She could steal or do something worse.

• There's been so many instances of women who've set their husbands up to be robbed and murdered over money, how much so for a complete stranger? I just wouldn't trust any strange person who enters my home. Family sure, but complete and utter strangers absolutely not.

• 16 and Over, No problem in this.
    However, Under this Tender Age, it is Best from the Rest to Take her to Social Services and get her some Assistance with other Means of Shelter and Other such Benefits so she can get Back on her feet again.
    Of course even if she is Old enough with being 16 and Above, there is no Harm in Putting her on your Arm and Taking her Downtown anyway so she can get Food stamps and Medicaid to Help make things Easier.. it's a start.
    Good luck and Blessings to a Great Guy. xx

• No, as long as they knew eachother well enough to have a platonic relationship. It's understanding for a friend to be protective of another friend who is in a very devestating situation.

• If she's over the age of a minor in your area, but if she's not you probably need to direct her to social services. Morally, I'd say you'd have to be careful to not a) instigate a sexually exploitive situation or b) be exploited financially by some addicted to drugs.

• Well why doesn't he take a young homeless boy home? Or an older homeless person? If his "friendliness" is limited to teenage girls only I'd honestly reckon he had some ulterior motives - if I knew he had helped other homeless people and had them live at his place before I wouldn't bother.

But seriously if I witness a 30-ish yo man on the street trying to convince a homeless girl to go with him and pressuring her I'd immediately step in. That just screams ephebophile.

• *facepalm* I used the scenario of a girl to make a point. Of course I would think it's fine for him to take in a homeless boy too. But I used a female because most people think a guy must be a predator for trying to reach out to a girl.

• The example you gave doesn't prove anything. It's your own concept, not proof.

• Ok, let me rephrase, the example I gave proofs that many people who are clear in their head and aware of dangers would actually assume that an older guy who tried to convince or lure random teenagers to go home with him is an ephebophile.
      If you really wanna 'help' homeless teenage *girls*, do yourself a favour and just let the social services know about them and their situation - don't do anything creepy or illegal (as far as I know taking minors you are not related to to your home and have them live there without the consent of their parents or legal guardian is illegal in most places).

• Id question his motives TBH.
    But as long as he could LEGALLY take her in. Like becoming a foster or adopting then ok whatever.

• Not "inappropriate" just not smart given that so much can potentially go wrong for HIM.

• Nothing wrong @ all. Due to the fact that you just stated that he has no romantic nor sexual interest in her, pretty much makes it sound like there's nothing wrong with that.

• It depends on the intent. If like you said the man wasn't taking advantage of her, then that is a noble and commendable thing to do.

• It's not inappropriate as long as they are sleeping separately. It's very kind really. It's just that we live in such a world where it's so hard to trust anyone anymore.

• From the way you explained it- Not inappropriate.

Actually, very sweet. :]

• No I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I would make sure there were clear rules in place though so she didn't feel like she was going to be harmed. Maybe look into going to a shelter the next day for advice.

• I think its sweet and noble that he would help someone out of an abusive life.

• Better take that person in a homeless shelter or something.
    I think keeping someone like that it's considered illegal. :-?

• I don't think so. Sounds like a good guy.

• If he had no sexual interests and just wanted to help her then that's okay. But I doubt such things happen

• Harboring a runaway child is a crime

• Better you take them to a homeless shelter

• No problem at all I think the single 20 something year old needs to help her go back to her family or find a solution I also worker who can help her more than he could

• meh... mixed feelings about that

• Everyone has ulterior motives. Just saying

• I'm sure it would be looked down upon by the community he live it but as long as there was no sexual contact there's nothing wrong. He should probably find a more appropriate place for here to live, but taking her in off the streets is fine.

• This reminds me of the movie detachment. If his intentions aren't sexual i think it would be possible.

• I think it's be weird to take her to your home, because you don't know here and she could be pretending and hiding things from you. It's better to just take any homeless person that is in need to a shelter and offer some food and money.

• I hope this is just hypothetical...

• As long as it is in legal age

• if she's underage he'll have problem with the law

• Could be inappropriate 😏

• Yes, he man should do the right thing and the girl to a shelter.

What Guys Said 15

• inappropriate if his intentions are inappropriate. perfectly fine and altruistic if he is truly hoping to provide her with stability and a good life

• Not inappropriate, but possibly dangerous, especially if she still has criminal contacts or some dangerous pimp drug lord is after her. Ideally she should be in the safety of a health facility receiving mental and physical aid from trained professionals who can handle this better than any of us can.

• I would turn her over to a relief, church or homeless group that handles these situations.

• Maybe not inappropriate but DEFINITELY stupid. In today's climate, he'd be setting himself up for a false rape accusation, as well as being removed from his own home when she figured out (thanks to 'victim' advocates and such) that she can file a paper and get to stay there WITHOUT him, and he'll have to keep paying the bills.

• Hmm to society it would come off as wrong but to me no. Though i wouldn't mind saying that Child services should get involved.

• Why is that inappropriate? If you want to help her get back on her feet, so long as you make progress, I say it's well worth it, provided you have the time to deal with her.

• No nothing wrong with that.

• i dont think thats inappropriate if your intentions are not wrong towards her

• Not inappropriate at all.

• Men are supposed to take care women, women are not supposed to take care of men so your not doing anything out of the norm

• As long as they're both of legal age there should no no entanglements.

• I did that once but I fucked her she was like this hippie girl maybe like 21-22 she smoked a lot weed. she stayed with me for 4 months and Some change.

I met her at this group function she was from Utah and was bouncing house to house. I told her she can stay with me for free.

Basically I made it known that I liked herand I really didn't care if she used me.

That was the only pregnant scare in my life

• Do whatever you want.

#America

• Only if he's a killer
    Leon

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more