Do you believe Santa Claus existed once upon a time?

• Yes and other "myths"
  • Yes
  • No but other "myths"
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• To my knowledge, Santa Claus was a historical person. However, he did not look anything like the modern North American Santa Claus looks like (the modern version originally comes from Finland). The real, historical Santa Claus was an inhabitant of Anatolia, a region in eastern Turkey. So while we don't know what he really looked, we can assume that he looked more something like this guy here:
    www.syriaartnet.com/images/accounts/medium/289.jpg
    (This guy comes from northern Syria, which is very close to Anatolia).
    The same thing is of course also true for Jesus of Nazareth. If he indeed existed (and there's no evidence he did), he certainly looked very different from the pictures you often see when you enter a catholic church in France or Italy.

• Great answer, I was about to write some of what you said, but yours is way more insightful.

Most Helpful Girl

• Saint Nicholas was a real person, probably. Just like Jesus was a real person.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't know.

I was the obnoxious kid at school who told everyone Santa doesn't exist (it just didn't seem plausible to me, even though I never caught my parents sneaking the presents under the tree) and actually got in trouble for it with angry teachers and parents.

I think maybe I sorta believed it when I was around 4 or 5 years old. At 6 I just thought it was ludicrous.

• The original Santa Claus was Hagios Nikolaos (Saint Nicholas) , a bishop of Myra (Demre in present day Turkey) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas
    He participated in the Nicea Council in 325 CE where he is said to have attacked (physically) Arianus of Alexandria because Arianus defended a POV Nicholas considered heretic.

• Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus 😉👌😂

• Of course. He was known as Saint Nicholas, he was also known for his habit of gift giving. It's a legend or myth whichever you want to call it, that later turned him into "Santa Claus".

• I think he still exists today! Who else would live at the North Pole with all those elves? :)

What Girls Said 8

• FYI the gift giving santa claus was invented in the 1950's by an ad agency. It's obviously the most successful ad ever, as their invention created a myth. Before that, Saint Nicholas was a scary character.

• No, but I watched on T. V that there was a guy who went ahead and gave free candies or gifts to quite a lot of children and that's how this whole santa thing was created.

• I believe that everything in the bible probably happened at one point some way or another. However, I do think that they are overly exaggerated. Although Christmas was not originally a Christian holiday, it still applies. That being said, "Santa Claus" was probably a saint who gave gifts to others on a specific day of the year, and after his death people carried on the tradition and so it spread.

• I believed it. I always stayed late to meet Santa when he brought gifts.
    ol' good times

• No, Santa's never existed.

• You mean old looking, beer gutted dudes that break into your house? 😜 Ya those do exist.

• Yea i met him at the mall before

• Santa Claus never visited me