Who is at fault for this kid's death?

Sad scene of little kid getting creamed by a truck:

• The father at 100% fault... the most stupidest father of the year ever
  • All the adults except the truck driver
  • It's 100% the truck driver's fault
  • 50/50 combination of all, the adults and the truck driver

Most Helpful Girl

• The saddest scene in any horror film. Its mainly the drivers fault for driving so damn fast but the dad too is at fault for not watching and of course him falling just inches away from his son... ughhhh.

• What makes it sadder is the fact that this isn't just a hypothetical situation. It does happen in real life with parents who are distracted at that very moment. Many kids get run away by either car or truck drivers.

• @nikki_24 I agree
      This scene hits home and reminds me of my own close call as a toddler. Hard to even think I would have been dead at that age. In my case it involved a car and it was on the streets where my mother couldn't get me and her seeing the driver stopped on time, narrowly missing me by like several inches. I can't imagine what the horror look on my mother's eyes were at that moment.

Needlessly to say the driver ended up yelling and insulting my mother for several minutes. Typically, my mother wouldn't let someone talk to her in that manner but she didn't reply back at the moment; she was in total shocked.

• @Vesuvius87 holy cow!! At least you are alright. I couldnt imagine being a parent and seeing your kid get hurt like that. Even close calls..

What Guys Said 3

• Clearly the truck driver. Why?

- Firstly he drove WAY too fast. How do we know this? A short truck such as the one we see here measures around 80-90 feet in length. Around 0:35, the head of the truck is roughly the same distance away from the camera as the truck itself measures in length. From there, it takes almost exactly one second (until 0:36) for the truck to approach, drive past and the tail of the truck to disappear. This means that the truck drove with an approximate speed of 160-180 feet per second. Let's be generous though and say the distance was in fact a little less and it was only around 140 ft per second. If you change that into miles per hour, you get an approximate speed of 94 mph. Not only is this too fast in general, it's especially too fast for a truck and even more so if we consider that the truck drives on a countryside road (not a highway). To my knowledge, the speed limit in many US states for these kind of trucks lies around 60 mph. This means the truck driver was going more than 30 mph too fast.

- Secondly, the truck driver got surprised in the very last second (just a few yards away from the toddler). This suggest that A) his eyesight is very bad or B) he wasn't paying attention on the road.
    I get that toddlers are small compared to a truck but if you drive a car, you still have to watch out and look ahead. Anticipating dangers is a must-have for any driver, but especially for a professional driver. This is even more true in a surrounding with lots of forest, where a deer could jump out of the woods any moment (plus, perhaps this was even a semi-urban area). Had he paid attention, he would have seen the baby at least 100 feet ahead and would have been to get on the brakes.

- Thirdly: Okay, you didn't see the toddler. Fair enough. But there's an adult guy running towards the road and screaming and two other adults screaming from further away. Shouldn't that catch your attention and make you wonder if perhaps something's wrong?

Fourthly: Okay, so the truck driver is a complete idiot and missed both the toddler and the screaming adults. But when he saw the toddler, he could have still jumped on the brakes or even better, tried to steer the truck out of the way? Wouldn't you have done that? I certainly would. The truck driver just kept going.

Fifthly: This is the very, very worst: At 0.40, BEFORE the driver gets surprised, you hear the truck horning. This means the driver was in fact not surprised. He must have seen what's

• going on and thus pulled the horn. Now, any halfway responsible truck driver wouldn't just pull the horn but also get on the brakes. This truck driver did NOT. This suggests that he saw the baby and did not get on the brakes anyway, meaning it wasn't an accident but a deliberate action. In a court trial, this could easily be regarded as second degree murder.

• The father. A truck driver has been driving for how long and a baby is how small? How is he suppose to look out for something so tiny every second? No driver does that not one we look left, right, behind, ahead, not staring at the ground unless by chance.

• I don't care about who's at fault.. This boy's life is over!

• Hard to even think but my life would have been over as a toddler too.

What Girls Said 3

• Option D
    I actually had a close call of almost getting run away by a car on the street and my mother couldn't catch me. Luckily, the car driver saw ahead, put on the brakes and stopped on time.

The guy off course got very upset with my mother, gave her a tongue-lashing for several minutes. Even after getting insulted for the longest minutes, my mother didn't reply back but was rather in total shocked of nearly losing me.

Now 29 years later and it's hard to think I would have also been dead as a 2 year-old toddler.

Both the driver of any vehicles and the parents should be on the look out.

• the writers of the movie

• The person who wrote the movie

• The only reason it was made into a movie is because Stephen King's own child (well when he was a toddler), nearly got run away by a truck. The author saves his kid on the last minutes. Basically his novel and this movie was inspired by the author wondering what it would have been like if he had missed saving his son by a second.

• Stephen King Is a great author but he is so unattractive to me