Have you ever had to call 9-1-1 (or other emergency number) either for yourself or someone else?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope. Hope it stays that way.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 2

• Yes I have a funny story. When me and my cousin were like 8-9 I was staying the night at my cousins and it what like 1am and my grandma was asleep and we heard tapping on the window right next to us so we called the police without telling my grandma and then the police showed up and we woke up my grandma to tell her the police was there and while she was talking to them a cop found that the tapping was a penny stuck to a bandaid and the other sticky part was stuck to the window and there was a string tied to it and someone was pulling the string from far away and if make it tap on the window.

• wait who was pulling the string? That's weird. Did you get in trouble with your grandma?

• We never found out they just left it there. And my grandma didn't care she lets us do whatever

• Yea but then I lifted car off with my brothers baha

What Girls Said 12

• Twice I've had to do it, once when a lamppost had caught fire during a very hot summer, the plastic cover was melting and dripping down o to someone's convertible Porsche... haha!

The other time was when I was on a train and it was crossing a bridge that spanned an estuary. The tide was out and there was a man who had been walking his dog, he was stuck up to his waist in sand and waving at the train for help. So I called the emergency services. They asked me the most ridiculous questions. I explained that the guy was up to his waist and waving at the train... They asked me if it was his top or bottom half that was buried... like, how does a man wave at a train when he's buried upside down in sand? They then asked if there were any hazardous materials spilt nearby him...

• they were just doing their job especially asking about hazardous materials b/c they don't want to put first responders in danger if their are other dangers around b/c then your'e having to save multiple people all at once, and trust me, a lot of people in their panic in calling 9-1-1 say a lot of stuff that isn't quite accurate or is confusing, so they need to make sure they know as much as they can accurately. Might seem like a dumb question, but it may be vital information needed.

• It was seriously dumb, their questions were wasting time... I'd told them three times I couldn't see him anymore and the tide was coming in... they just kept talking over me. Silly people...

• Yes. One time when I saw a man being beaten on the street by another man in an unprovoked attack. The man sustained quite serious injuries, but not life threatening. It was an awful experience to see.😩 I hate violence of any sort

• Yea, I hope never again.

• Never called 911. I have called 999 a few times before.

• Phoned for my dad a few times before - diabetic coma, our next door neighbour jumping the fence to try and beat him up and because of my mother.
      Phoned for a randomer in the street - collapsed outside my work and had a alcoholic fit.
      Called 111 (which is a non emergency line but do thinks like out of hour appointments at hospitals) for myself a few times.

• yea my dads lung collapsed

• No, I haven't ever had to do that thankfully.

• We don't have that where I lived but my sister and I accidentally did it once back when we liked in the US. We wanted to call a family member from a different country and her phone started with 911 but as soon as my sister pressed the last 1, the emergency people replied and we freaked out (I barely knew what 911 was back then but I knew you were only supposed to call if someone was in danger) so we hung up but the cops showed up anyways.

• yeah, they have to show up because in the event something is happening really and truly, and you just had to hang up because you were scared by an attacker or you passed out or something, they have to make sure you're okay.

• Yeah my dad told us that. We were scared lol it took them a while to believe us.

• Yes I witnessed a violent accident a few years back. I'm amazed nobody died.

• I had to call it for myself because someone wouldn't stop knocking at my door late at night.

• Creepy!

• Very! They wouldn't say who they were. I didn't have a peep hole at my old house. I know it wasn't a relative because I didn't see any cars. I was younger at the time so so I was freaking out. They were literally knocking for 5 minutes. Plus my house was made weird so they could've look in my house.

• Nah... Never had the need to...

• I haven't, but someone has had to for me.

I have epilepsy. We did not know that.

• must have been scary for you. I've had to call 9-1-1 several times b/c of my old job. One of the scariest calls I had to make was when a baby went into a seizure. Most of my 9-1-1 calls were for that reason.

• I think I'd tried to call the police on my parents once but I got my ass beat.