"The rich get richer while the poor get poorer." True or false?

• True
  • False

Most Helpful Guy

• It's true. Inflation is increasing at a faster rate than wages, which have been stagnant for like 30 years. The idea of tickle down economics is a joke. If anyone wants to refute the notion, just look at jobs like 30 years ago to now. You could get a job and support yourself with a high school diploma. Now, you need a college diploma to have each the same economic status, all the more whole colleges have virtually doubled in that time frame, leading to more debt for the average person. But some people are profiting on it. And it sure as hell ain't Joe public. People on this site need to take econ

Most Helpful Girl

• depends on the country's system and financial situation.
    capitalism's side effects

What Guys Said 14

• false. Our societies have very good ways to allow people who are in the middle class or below to become rich, and many people have gone from being rich to being poor. I am currently in rotations for medicine, and there is a doctor I am rotating with, who continuously tells me the story of how beautiful democracy is! He told me about how when he was a kid he lived in a place most Americans/Canadians would store their tools. Now he buys a new car every year or two, in cash, because he says he likes the new car smell. This guy went from living in a shed to buying 200,000$ cars every two years in cash. So poor don't stay poor, and rich don't stay rich.

• False.

When the rich get richer, everyone around them gets richer as well cause they drive the economy by investing.

• i disagree, the rich only invest fractions of their entire capital. often times their capital is places offshore, so there are no benefits for the country in which they live in.

• @anonman32 read my answer. Its not in depth because I'm lazy right now, but it gives a brief synopsis. Maybe I'll make some add ons to give a real detailed answer

• The idea that the rich will shut down their company when they become poorer is ignoring the fact of separate entities. The company is not that same as the owner. The owner could lose income but the company could stay strong. Meaning the owner could sale it for a good price an recoup his loses. While those in the company stay in their job positions.

• Pretty much, that's just the reality of it, the uneven distribution of wealth.

• Income inequality is well documented, it's obviously true

• A. True most of the time: there'll be long periods where the rich grow richer and the poor grow poorer or grow richer but not as quickly as the rich and then once in a while there is a war, crisis, epidemic or natural disaster that "resets" wealth, the last one of those was the combination of the Great Depression with WW2.

• The gap is increasing. All the efforts of the last two centuries to create the middle class are slowly eroding.

• This poll just goes to show how uneducated and plebeian GaG's users are.

The rich do not get richer off the backs of the poor, and if anything their presence is necessary, for tax revenue and jobs. This also applies to nations - it's not the fault of civilized Western countries that third-world shitholes are still poor due to bad economic models and political plundering. It's not as though they don't get an assload of aid money, extorted by the UN or given voluntarily.

• What is your degree in, again?

• Compared to micro and macro economics that class was like reading a one year old's book. I had trouble understanding quite a bit of info in just those two introductory classes in college as did most of my friends.

• @Marstalk It was easy. But I'm probably not taking another Econ class, so no big deal.

• I guess it is true , the gap between em is too wide , especially on where i live ( developing country)

• Everyone is getting richer it's just the rich are getting richer at faster rates.

• Sort of. The rich get richer and the poor get richer too but not at the same rate.

• Seems to be that way, cost of living is on the rise while wages remain stagnant.

• This is true for the UK, our prime minister is a selfish twat.

• People in the middle class and below never get ahead. All they do is just work enough to stay afloat and pay bills. There's never any advancement

• Truer than true.

What Girls Said 6

• But mainly because the rich make better life decisions than the poor.

• True.

The question proposes an incorrect assumption, though.

The rich are most certainly getting richer, but the poor are not necessarily getting poorer.

The poor are simply getting richer at a much slower rate.

A.

• Completely true

• I don't know...

• i guess true... I keep hearing the middle class is getting smaller and smaller.

• money makes money