Can you upgrade a laptop? Is it possible?

Like to update the "Video Card" and the "CPU"?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not sure but I don't think it's that easy compared to a desk top.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, no. The reason being that most laptops come in "Generations" so for the most part even if you can change out parts you can't change out parts to the point where there would be a notable difference really. This is true even of most "gaming" laptops; while some of them have full-sized (read as, desktop) motherboards alongside chips and even SLI and card expansions the range of options between these exchanges is very low and the actual management of these upgrades is very poor with elements like heat exchange becoming an issue.

Obviously the highest end items don't have these issues but when I say high end I mean something like $2,500+.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 13

• It's possible but first you'll have to check the MB to see what CPUs it can support. As for the video card (A. K. A. GPU) forget about it. Most laptops don't have space for one (well a proper one anyway).

The easiest thing to upgrade on a laptop is the RAM, anything else and things are going to get fiddly

Going external is an option if you want a decent GPU

cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...5-8c96-3084de77c375.gif

If you want something small and powerful you'd be better off with an ITX

• It will entirely depends on the kind of laptop. If you have a modular laptop and those are quite expensive, then it IS possible to upgrade the CPU and Video Card. One of the well known modular laptop manufacturers are Clevo, and they have a well known reseller known as Sager. Look them up on Google and see for yourself. Quite Pricey though, but worth it in the long run, especially if you are looking to own a powerful laptop that is equivalent to Desktop computers.

• you can but it's not really easy, as with a desktop, and is usually far easier to just replace teh lap top

• I think lower level laptops come with on-board Video as for the CPU could probably buy a replacement from the factory from a faster variant of your Laptop. Just Upgrade the Ram, that's your cheapest option... maybe upgrade to SSD if you don't have one.

• It depends on the model of laptop. Most are not intended to be upgraded beyond the hard drive and memory.

• geez Ree
    I think you'd be better off with a real desk computer, the Heavy stuff. You can build it the way you want. I'm planning on doing so

• It depends on the laptop. I just bought an older HP Elitebook to draw on (it's got a wacom digitizer), and I replaced the hard drive with an SSD and upped the RAM from 4 to 16. The CPU (2nd gen i7) is soldered to the board, though, so I can't replace that or the integrated graphics.

Most laptops won't have space for a dedicated GPU. You are better off buying a gaming laptop if you want that.

• I don't think so

• No, not easily.
    Laptop GPU and CPU are soldered on and are spec-ed out to fit that model of laptop

• Not really. It would be better practise to get a better spec laptop

• Yes, you can.

• Just about every laptop can't be upgraded. I doubt yours can.

• It's unpractical, expensive, and limited.

You're much better of with following another route (like buy a new one, or a desktop computer).