Will the Brexit decision lead to the rise of Nationalism? Similar to what we saw after the breakup of the USSR and 'Yugoslavia?

The North of Ireland wanting to join the Irish Republic

Scots wanting to be a singular Scotland

Welsh wanting an autonomous Wales

0|0
1|20

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 19

• If you look at Northern Ireland, you will find that the only people who want to join the rest of Ireland are the Catholic minority. They may be loud and the media may give them coverage, but they are a minority.
    The Protestant majority do not want any part of the rest of Ireland, which uses the power of the state to enforce Catholic dogma upon non-Catholics.

0|3
    0|0
  • not so long ago it were the liberals that were nationalist, i wonder why everyone associates nationalism with fascism. unions will only last as long as they are useful, why dont people understand this?

0|2
    0|0
  • For the three examples you give, NO. "Independent" Scotland was depending on EU Subsidies. See also Catalunya with respect to Spain.

It is no accident that the regional separatist silliness began to rev up just as the national sovereignty of the UK was being compromised and the role of the nation-state was being diminished.

As for Ireland, there is actually talk of a "Reunited Kingdom", the terrible and regrettable Troubles of the past notwithstanding, because the Euro has not been a good currency or fit for Ireland. Perhaps they might fare better using the Pound?

0|0
    0|0
  • If people keep leaving it will be bad for the world economy as a whole. Sure it will stabilize but I'm a college student who will be graduating in the next couple years and I just don't want that shit to effect me personally. I think people need to take the world into account more than their independent countries.

1|0
    0|0
    • If you're a college student, you should want nationalism. Do you know how to make sure there are jobs in your country? Actually get those companies to hire locals. The false song of globalism will absolutely DESTROY your chances at a job because you'll always be out-competed by a 3rd world country for labour. It doesn't matter what you're studying right now, there's an abundance of those people already more qualified than you looking for work elsewhere in the world at this exact minute dying to come take your potential job.

• Show All
    • @Distant "if" I can't find a job ✌️

• Fair enough. Maybe, when Trump gets in, you will.

• Nationalism is already on the rise, and I can't blame them, what do you expect when you want to destroy your people's culture?

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Northern Ireland will NEVER join Ireland. The people there are loyal to the crown and are distinctly British Irish not just plain Irish.

2. They can try since they want to join the EU but just like in the last referendum I believe Scotland is better with the UK.

3. Wales was for Brexit and I haven't seen much nationalism from the Welsh.

0|1
    0|0
    • Your wrong. Im in the UK.

1. Northern Ireland are not loyal to the crown one little bit. They aren't against but not for either. With this result they are planning a new referendum whether they want to join EU or stay in UK. They overwhelmingly want to leave the UK. They dont care.

2. Scotland didn't vote for independance due to joining the EU again after leaving so they stayed to avoid uncertainty with economics. As UK has left the EU the scottish first minister just announced a new referendum will take place very soon to leave the UK for the EU which is what they voted for in the first referendum, to stay in the EU not UK. This time everyone expects at least 70% majority to vote leave the UK. Everyone knows this from PM to regular guy on the street.

3. you're right with this one. Wales ain't going anywhere, theyre staying in the UK.

• Show All
    • @yucel_eden I can't imagine Northern Ireland and Scotland forming a country it just sounds ridiculous.

• Not a country. Some sort of link though as they get into EU after leaving UK.

• Temporary at best as a counter-reaction to the very liberal and left-winged policies the EU has been doing the past 15 years. It might also be happening that the countries become independent of each other. And I think that would be for the better to be honest.

0|0
    0|0
  • basically everyone wants to get away form Britain lol and everything else like the EU and just be their own people, don't blame them at all and it's about time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nationalist movements in Europe have strongly racist undertones
    They can capitalize on immigrant hate
    As far as nationalism in the places you named I would say that's not nationalism
    They don't think they are better they just feel like they want to try things new
    Nationalism involves thinking your cohntry is better
    They don't

0|0
    0|0
  • If so more people will be playing Crusader Kings II on pc.

0|1
    0|0
  • The scots are already nationalist but not in the traditional Trump way, they are more humane.

As for the UK, as we have now left nationalism should die. If we hadn't left it would have risen to a dangerous level.

Same with the rest of the EU, nationalism will rise, how much this rises will depend on how long that individual country stays in the EU.

0|0
    0|0
  • there isn't anything wrong with a little nationalism, and I think it would be better for Europe if they had a little more nationalism

0|0
    0|0
  • Granted, Scotland and many of those countries feel on the bitter end of that "United" Kingdom thing a lot. They might as well split.

0|0
    0|0
  • The Soviet Union was more nationalist than today's Russian Federation.

0|0
    0|0
  • National sovereignty for everyone!
    I think that nation states are crucial for the survival of culture, diversity and ethnicity

0|0
    0|0
  • Jesus, no.

0|0
    0|0
  • good.. let the scots be independent. i dont' care either way.

oh, and dont' be smug, california may break away or texas...

0|0
    0|0
  • That's separatism, not nationalism.

Separatism grows when people are unhappy. People are unhappy because their leaders are betraying them, and working on interests contrary to the people's.

This is what's affecting European countries, the European Union, and even the USA.

It happens that the interests of corporations, banks, and financiers are contrary to those of the people...

0|0
    0|0
  • Northern Ireland will never willingly join Ireland, because the hatred between Catholics and Protestants is too high.

0|2
    0|0