How do you break out of feeling no emotion?

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure I truly felt anything in my life now that I look back. Most of my life is shallow and there's not much to it. I don't get feel lasting joy, fear, sadness or love. All I feel is anger, hate, and sometimes a sense of calm when I can get a break.

I know I'm depressed but it's not sadness, but instead a lack of emotion. All my emotions come in shallow tides, but there are times where my true self breaks through and I swear, if I could let that all out, I know I could change the world. Inside, I know I have so much strength, but so much is holding me back. Sometimes I get moments where I feel my true self and I feel invincible like nothing can touch me. But soon it gets cut off, my heart and mind gets numb and my eyes turn tired, and I go back to feeling nothing.

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get out of this. I'm not going to take medication, that's out of the question. What else can I do? What do I need to do? I'm running in circles at this point and it's only making me more angry. I can tell I've grown bitter to people and at this point I'm looking for fights with people I meet.

I know this was a bit of a ramble, but can anyone relate?

What Girls Said 2

• I've felt the same way for years. It's really shit. I even considered being a sociopath at some point lol. It is very likely to be a symptom of depression which sometimes expresses itself with a lack of emotion. It can also be linked to dissociative personality disorder, which is where you kind of look at your life as a spectator, without feeling really alive (look it up, you might relate). You don't have to take medications. It hasn't helped me at all, if you want to know. But seeing a therapist would really, really help. It's hard to take the first step, but don't be scared, so much more people than you think have seen one. It does not mean you're crazy.
    Other than that, I don't know if you would be into it, but try meditation/yoga, or if you prefer really intense working out like boxing. I've tried both, they really help in addition to professional help.

• That's how I feel now. I don't even feel sadness anymore, I literally feel nothing and it's like I have no emotion

What Guys Said 1

• I was in the same boat. Fear, anxiety, depression, stress, and anger are the only emotions I really felt.

And it was largely because of that that I was diagnosed with a disorder (I'd prefer not to get into specifics).

You should try to see if you can get in touch with a good psychologist. Cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness meditation are both very effective tools.

• I'll tell you one thing though: this situation often occurs when you feel that you have no meaning of purpose. If you can find a cause or something to believe in, that will help.