Why do certain women give birth to more than one baby?

It can go anywhere ranging from twins to triplets, quadruplets, etc.

The world record for having the most number of children officially recorded is 69 by the first of two wives of Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782). She gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets. The children were born between 1725-1765.

Is giving birth to more than one baby really genetically inherited? I suppose that would be an immediate C-section.

What Guys Said 2

• Genetics yes.

• Artificial insemination increases the chances of more than one offspring. At least that's what the folks at the Biotech department have me belive

• That's technology but historically there have been certain women (and still are today) that can naturally give birth to 2+ babies at once.

What Girls Said 1

• Holy shit imagine having 69 children... yes it is genetically inherited... however I have no clue how

• True. I don't know how. If I were having 4 at once, that's a lot. I would be needing help from the father and my parents. In addition, that would already be enough for me.

• Exactly... it'd be too many for me