Do girls wear hoodies when it's late out to dissuade unwanted attention?

I've noticed when you see a girl walking alone when it's dark out, often they'll have a hoodie on... w/ the hood over their head. I reckon this keeps drivers from stopping to holler since they could very well be a guy (since long hair isn't visible).

any truth to my hypothesis?

Most Helpful Girl

• None at all. That's just what we wear when we have a robbery to attend.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's very possible

What Girls Said 19

• Yeah this has some truth to it. When I was younger and didn't have a car, I used to have to walk a lot at night. so when i would go home I would wear a big ass hoodie so I would look like a guy. When you are visibly female walking alone you become a huge target to unsavory characters

• If I was walking alone I wouldn't have my hood up, I can't hear or see as well. I would also never have my headphones in because then you can't hear anyone coming behind you. I would have a hat in the winter and a scarf around my face, the less attention you can attract the better, but hoods cut off my peripheral vision too much for that scenario.

• No this is not one of the reasons as to why I would wear a hooded sweatshirt late at night. Nor do I know any other girls who have this as a reason to wear a hooded sweatshirt at night.

• I never wear hoodies when it's dark and I'm walking. It makes it harder to see my surroundings. But I reckon some do it to look inconspicuous during the night and others do it cuz it's a fad.

• Never thought it would help us stay warm? LOL

• Yes actually, I usually pull my hood up to make passing cars think I'm a guy but I think my swinging hips give me away.

• Makes sense, I'll do that next time.

• No we wear them because they're comfy or maybe it's chilly.

• Super spy in the weekends

• yea, i did that a lot in college walking places at night. for some girls it could be a safety measure for others they just like wearing hoodies.

• No, if I wear a hoodie I wear it because I want to. I would never change the way I dress just to not get raped. I'm not the one who should change, they are 😌

• I ware hoodiea all the time a lot at night when I'm trying to not be seen

• I love hoodies, I wear them just because I love them.

• In my case no. I never wear hoodies.

• i wear them at night bc im tired and its comfortable and its not worth wearing a whole outfit just to go the store

• doesn't stop guy who are walking to stop talking to women unfortunately

• Certainly. All in the life of a spy you know. ;-)

• I wear it so that I look like a guy :) I don't mind like being shouted compliments but at night I think I'm more afraid of being taken

• It doesn't work.

What Guys Said 1

• Perhaps subconsciously.