What are your favourite, easy camping meals?

I'm making my menu for our 4 day camping trip next weekend and looking for creative ideas. I want to be able to eat a good variety of food but without lots of leftovers and without spending a tonne of dough.

I'm thinking stuff I can make ahead and wrap in foil to throw on the fire or cook stove would be best. If I can freeze it, even better!

So far I'm thinking:
- a pasta dish I can put together before and freeze in a aluminum pie dish and covered with tin foil
- a buttery garlicky potato and veggie packet and steak
- burritos (made ahead and frozen, wrapped in foil)
- breakfast burritos (same)
- a pizza log (foil wrapped and frozen)
- pre mixed pancake batter (frozen flat in a zip loc bag)
- bacon and eggs (cooked there in skillet on stove)

Most Helpful Guy

• I tried this during my last hike...
    Take A large sized potato
    A full egg.
    1. Slice the top of the potato , Remove the pulp from inside for other use, Make a deep sized hole inside the potato which can hold an egg inside it.
    2. Cover the potato with the sliced potato and cover it with twigs or small firewood for 15-20 minutes.
    You will be surprised by the outcome.

• I assume you wrap it in foil? Lol

Sounds good!

• Wait, you have to break off the egg shell and pour out its contents into that empty potato.
      Add some salt to taste.
      Wrt to the foil... I never tried it though.

Most Helpful Girl

• I just usually do stuff like potatoes, burgers, sausages, hot dogs, quick boil pasta with whatever sauce, veggies.

What Guys Said 14

• I don't like to freeze food like that - most of the time it is essentially ruined. It's really not too hard to cook when camping - a $40 Coleman propane stove is plenty.

We usually eat sandwiches or hot dogs for lunch, and for dinner we'll have burgers, BBQ chicken, steak, spaghetti, burritos, sloppy joes, or even ribs (with some prep at home). The meat can be frozen but thawed out and cooked fresh. We'll also have potatoes in various ways, salads, and veggies - corn on the cob, green beans, peas, carrots, etc.

Breakfasts are either cold cereal with milk, eggs and bacon (and sometimes pancakes), or just something like cheese & crackers and some fruit.

It sounds to me like you are trying to make homemade TV dinners, but again, it's really not that much more work to make these things fresh. For example, you can buy pancake mix that comes in a plastic bottle - Bisquick Shake 'n Pour Pancake Mix - and you just add water up to the mark on the bottle and shake well, and you get delicious pancake batter with no mess to clean up. Much better than old, frozen batter.

• Foil wrapped with potatoes, meat, carrots, corn, etc

• Anything fun or exciting, you have to plan to eat the first or second day because it won't keep longer than that.

Unless you plan on wasting a fortune on gas, don't pick anything that takes too long to cook. So if you want steak and vegetables, pick new potatoes because they are tiny and will boil faster, for example.

Kraft Dinner is a great one, since everyone loves it and it's cheap and cooks super quick. Something you may not have considered is a stir fry or hot pot. Stir fry some meat and vegetables with bean sprouts, boil some noodles, quick and easy.

• I'm leaving the pasta for the last night for that reason and will probably do the pizza roll the night before that. All the meat stuff will be the first couple days (

• Depending on how and where you're camping, there's often a store by the ranger station that sells more ice so you can keep stuff like burgers and wieners for quite a few days.

• There is a store about 20 minutes away and in past years we have had to go on ice runs when it was super hot. Sometimes we are able to make it the weekend without going on a run. I have pretty decent coolers.

• Fish that I caught
    Pasta
    We have a dutch oven so steak on the grill and roasted potatoes with bacon in the dutch oven.
    Bacon and Eggs and hashbrowns

• I'm thinking of buying one of those as I see a lot of great recipes using them. We have a large cast iron skillet that is great for camping cooking but it isn't quite the same is it?

• Not the same, A dutch oven can be used like an oven but yeah if you want one I recommend it

• mmm dutch oven cooking hell yeah

• Burgers, hot dogs, brats, chicken, fish, potatoes, s'mores, fruit pies...

• But I think we are all guilty (myself included) of not truly camping. If we truly were camping, we wouldn't bring all this food from home. We would eat out in the nature, and feast on grubs.

• @asker
      "I don't think eating grubs makes it 'truly camping'...

To me, if you're not using a trailer and electricity, you're camping. I do prefer the style of camp8ng we do (crown land with no facilities and far from everything) over park camping where there are washrooms and electricity and carved out sites. But I draw the line at not bringing actual food. Fuck that."
      We have a yearly campout on my aunts farm, we have access to all that in bumble fuck county

• @Waffles731 I'm not sure that's possible, as a lot of places have laws or rules that prohibit this sort of thing. That's why everyone brings food from home. And by the way, you have no idea what my parents' financial standing was and is. So, it's rather ridiculous to assume whether my family was poor or rich.

• Make a chili, and freeze it beforehand.

Burgers and hot dogs are easy and quick to grill as well

• i eat jerky if im camping and beans if i go camping i go camping i actually intend to not rely on stuff like hot plate and shit :l fire works better

• Smorse, canned beans, bbq meat

• hot pockets, tomato soup in a vacuum flask, fruit, water to name some options.

• I love camping, except for the eating, sleeping and pooping part...

• Hot dogs/sausage is probably one of the easiest.

• Don't wanna eat hot dogs for 4 days straight lol

• What! Why not? Let me guess your a cat person (I know, horrible joke)

• I used to do that when I was younger but my stomach needs good food now lol

• just eat pussy

• jerky

MREs!

Thick hot stews

peanut butter crackers

S'mores

Whiskey and Gatorade. Not together.

• Remember ALWAYS take your trash with you and dispose of it properly, recycling if possible.

• My group always ends up leaving with more garbage than we made... when we go on hikes or bike rides we bring bags with us to clean up after other assholes who leave it behind.

What Girls Said 5

• Peach cobbler cooked in a Dutch oven on the campfire is fantastic. Also, baked potatoes are easy on a campfire.

• What are the details of the camping trip?
    Tents, cabin, camper? Will there be open fire or are you bringing a grill? Do you need to hike to the location, will you bring coolers? When we were kids we backpacked with our parents and it all came down to weight we were carrying on our cracks to the sites.

• If you pack some steaks and potatoes they can be cooked a variety of ways and leftovers can be served with eggs as a hash. Pasta is always light, cheap and easy. You can often put leftovers into that for a meal too. Hotdogs or any kind of sausages are easiest.

• Have fun. I I've camping!

• Puppy chow! (More a dessert rather than a meal though haha)

• I normally just bring a cliff bar per meal. So thats three a day and lots of water with some protien. or just catch something when i can.

• Burgers, Grilled Chicken and Egg & Chorizo burritos!