Why is the Big Bang theory treated as fact when its not?

Find it worrisome myself at times, its just another thing the world has tried to brainwash people about it seems. Like there is hardly no "evidence" and the "evidence" that there is, was found after they decided the big bang was fact and not to mention the little evidence they found, dosent have to be related to the big bang at all, can be a million other explanations easily. You know how they explained the big bang theory in the past? "To understand the big bang, you have to believe in magic" How a scientist put it, when did science and magic go together? I find it mind boggling myself how on earth anyone can blindly believe in it, but it only shows how bad it is too at times. Like that if you disagree with this "theory", since its just a theory after all. You get labeled as uneducated, insane, like you are in denial etc, when in reality its the other way around when you can't even accept that a theory is a theory, not fact.

But as always I suppose, I expect a lot of hate for even simply talking about this an not blindly agreeing to it. Regardless, do you believe in the big bang theory?

• Yes
  • No
  • I believe God created everything
  • I believe there is another explanation
  • I dont know
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Technicly its not a theory that would require that it follow the scientific method ie be replicable, observable and testable all things it is not. The only thing they have is math to prove it and that goes on the assumption that it is causation not corellation and that we have not missed a single variable despite having no way of seeing if our math actually holds up or not. So as I stated at the very best it is a hypothesis and not a very good one. I would state however that the notion of god creating the universe and the idea of being able to prove our cosmological origin is not contradictory. That is also an idea that has been brain washed into people ie that is to say science does not refute the notion of god any more then the hypothetical existence of god would refute science. Thus far our very existence is in direct conflict with the basic tennents of science. Matter/energy cannot be created nor destroyed merely changed, so how can it exist if it cannot be made to exist? The universe existing in what ever theory you want to apply still requires their to be nothing then something or something that has always been both of which would by definition be magic. something from nothing would be an effect without cause which is impossible in fact science actively relies on the belief that all things have a cause otherwise you would never be able to study anything as things would merely happen irregardless of rules or reason or logic. If the universe has always been then it was never created and thus you have the same problem ie an effect without cause since their was nothing to cause it to be it simply was which is impossible by the standards of science and reason we use to understand the universe. Does all of that mean their is a god? No. Does it mean that their is no god? No. It simply means its far to complicated for us to be able to determine what if anything created the universe with our current tools available. Also on a side note the term "big bang" was actually meant to be derogatory. I think the reason why its been latched onto is for the simple fact that scientist do not like not knowing (as most people) and would rather have a false explanation then admit ignorance.

• Too much truth. Things I thought about myself, cause the cause an effect, like that maybe the universe was never created at all, we enforce a human view/understanding of the universe which I kinda always thought was a bit ironic. That in the case of big bang, it was kinda heavily influenced by religious beliefs to some extent that everything must have been created cause couldnt deal with the idea it wasent, even though that is still just as possible. But yeah too true again, even though im not religious myself, logically speaking their is nothing in science that discredit the exsistence of "God" , to assume an think so. You enforce a biased understanding of something you can't know, see or prove. Anyway again, too true everything you said.

• Precisely. Thats actually one of my big issues with atheist is that they will make the statement that if you make a claim you must back it with evidence (which I totally agree with) then they follow that up with stating thats why their is no god. "Do you have evidence to back up that claim?" atheist: "its not my job to prove it, I don't have to back up my claims" then why would any one else? Its illogical. Its like a math problem what ever you do to one side you must do to the other in order to insure it balances. Its the only way to find the right answer.

• Thanks for the MHO!

What Girls Said 11

• There are competing theories, but it's the most accepted scientific theory by cosmologists, and the best explanation for the origin of our universe at this time. As several people have pointed out, a scientific theory is based on observational and experimental evidence, and in this case a lot of math; it's not the same as the lay person's idea of what having a theory means.

Anyone's free to disagree, but you'll understand if we take the theoretical physicists and quantum mechanics scientists with their evidence and mathematical models more seriously than the average person, who likely has little idea to no idea what they're talking about.

• Yes a scientific theory is different then a layman's term for theory. In science it is something that is observable (the big bang was/is not) replicable (the big bang is not) and measurable (which technicly the big bang is not). The only thing they have is math but with no way to falsify it its worthless. It goes off of the presumption that 1) The evidence led them to the conclusion of the big bang not that the big bang lead them to the evidence; 2) That it is causation not correlation (and with multiple cosmological theories that all take into account the same evidence we cannot be certain it is not correlary); 3) that all variables have been accounted for that not one is missing despite us not only not being able to verify the data in any meaningful way but also the fact that since we cannot even leave the influence of our planet (the magneto sphere and its gravitational pull) we cannot get any other data that might lay outside of our visible range. Thats a lot of presumptions.

• Umm, the only fact is that it's called the Big Bang THEORY. Get back to me when "the world" drops the word theory from its title.

• It's not the only theory that it's taken for a fact though, evolution is a theory as well, but try and oppose it and you'll see, lol

• @Miezko I'm sorry but gravity is above a theory. It is a law of nature. See newton's universal law of gravitation.

• @MrJjames I'm sorry, but a law can still be a theory.
      “law is just a part of a theory that can be stated in the form of a single sentence or a single equation. Newton's law of gravity is the statement that the force by which a particle of mass M acts on a particle of mass m has magnitude GMm/r2 and direction from m to M. Newton's theory of gravity is the framework that contains this law and everything else you need to calculate the motion of particles influenced by this law."

Reference www.physicsforums.com/.../

• Finally someone else who doesn't believe it. I've tried telling people this and they don't listen

• Sorry they dont listen, but yeah, one easy way to get yourself hated no doubt it seems. Its silly really.

• The big bang theoru isn't accepted by all of science. Its a small percentage whom accept it and its become popular belief. Saw that on some documentary in college for a class. I mean until we can go back in time any math equation supporting it is debatable. We werent around so we will never know.

• thankfully yes, but I know too that has been several scientist who have spoken up against the big bang theory an have been threathen on their life and seem like been forced to silence cause rest of the world or scienitifc enviroment dont want to even hear anything else.

• I believe God created everything, but "how" could be in any form, big bang included...
    Big bang though it's a theory, it's a "how it happened" not "what caused it to happen"
    And when they say all emerged from a particle with infinite density but zero volume, to me equals "got created from nothing, and only God can do that.

• While im not religious myself, I find that to be part of the problem. Science by believing that, basically believe in magic, so they might as well say its God, cause would be the same thing. Just different believes. While im open to many possbilities, just logic wise to me, I dont believe it happen at all like the big bang, too much flaws an gaps in it all, not to mention its just as much evidence if not more that suggests it didn't happen that way or simply point to something else.

• Interesting theory, yet doesn't answer how it all started, the first start that died and created others.. As for time traveling, if I am a product of the future and don't know about it, then most probably it's not time traveling :)

• to explain time travel thing further is that. If you are a product of the future or just more. If you have reached that point you have nothing left to overcome or achieve, you would choose and want to not remember. You would choose to live as a human for example, cause if you are more tiny in power sort of, your life would have more meaning. It make sense that too, if you were advanced, you would choose not to know it, cause it would bring you meaning, in this moment, which you couldnt have if u remembered or realised what u were.

• I don't hate you because you don't believe in it. This is a free world (up til now :-) ). So you are free to believe what makes you happy or helps you in life.

• Yay no hate!, cookies for you! :).

But really though, to me I just follow logic, my logic just dont agree, not sure if makes me happy or make life easier, if anything the opposite, lol. But im being true to myself anyway at least :). For better or for worse :).

• Oh sorry i thought you meant the tv-series at first and got a little confused. But i see where you're coming from

• I believe the goddess Chaos gave birth to the universe.

• It's the most realistic and most accepted theory. I don't think anyone treats it as a fact. I mean it has the word theory in the title.

• Because science is always right 😉

Who knows? I assume because it's the best explained reasoning people and scientists found to explain how it all started.

What Guys Said 39

• You suffer from the same misunderstanding of what a theory is that many people do. To you and many others, a theory is just a hunch, a guess about something. But in science that's not what a theory is at all. A theory in science is an explanatory framework that best accounts for experimental and observational data. Gravity (which I assume you accept) is a theory.

• So still a guess, but an educated one

• Sorry, is*

• @Miezko Let's rephrase. There are a few contradictions to it, but it's under the assumption that we've mapped out the universe. We've mapped some of it out, but not near enough to definitively make the conclusion to really support the idea that the universe is static. As for Einstein be living that, well, the invention of shit like the super collider helps. Or the Hubble telescope. Einstein couldn't definitively prove his relativity theories either at the time, but since then, they've made that discovery, among other things, such as dark matter. But I'm not a scientist so I can't go super in depth on this stuff

• it's not treated as fact... hence it's called the big bang "THEORY"
    but then would religion also be essentially like believing in as you put it magic?

i just don't really see why it's so important to thwart one person's beliefs one way or another. we don't lives millions of years ago. we live today. big bang theory or not we all live in the same reality right now.

• Its correct term is Theory yes, but if you ask a teacher how the universe was created you get "It was created by the big bang" or watch any show on tv or whatever that involves the universe. You will always hear the phrase "The universe was created by the big bang" it never mentions its a theory, its treated like its fact. And yes, its pretty similiar. Which I find funny when scientist are gonna discredit the whole God thing, when basically they believe in their own God.

True kinda yes, but yeah in this case you declare like war if you dont agree with the big bang theory. Yup, as far as we know, even though that can't be proven either :). That we live in the same reality I mean.

• Sort of like God is treated as fact in almost every quadrant of small town America, and to a certain extent - the media? It's culturally accepted beliefs, get over it.

• It's because enough scientists agree with each other that it's the most plausible explanation going on what they can observe and have discovered about the universe.

Because a portion (whether big or small I dont know, I'm not really big on science) of the laws of physics rely on this to have happened it has become accepted due to observations about those physical laws proving correct.
    We haven't discovered everything though. As far as I know, there isn't an agreed upon cause for the big bang. There's just general agreement that it happened. There are many theories for how it happened but we just don't yet have the technology to test those theories. There are breaks through being made at times however and we keep learning more.
    I'm of the view that to just accept it was god is a bit naive.

• The key word there is "Theory". It is the best understanding of the universe, based upon the evidence. Yes, Evolution is also just Theory too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

I am surprised religious people are against the Big Bang Theory. If anything, it seems to be a compelling argument FOR God. Prior to the Big Bang Theory, the "settled science" of the day was that the universe was just always there, and had no beginning. The universe having a beginning implies something caused it.

• You should take a look at more theories. There you will see that they are just theories accepted by mainstream science. And really proven they are not.

However at the mainstream theories there are scientist who have much better theories. But when they voice them they are discredited, ridiculed and eventually lose their jobs. "Nikola Tesla" was such a person. He should have regarded as the greatest of all time but somehow he isn't.

What I'm trying to say is that certain theories are presented and promoted as truth. I think they serve a (commercial) purpose and the true theories just don't. And the other thing is that society is completely based on those ideas and they don't want to change them.

• Couldnt agree more, im glad at least some people see this and know this. And yeah its a shame, its gonna be the same for this time and age as well, those that are brilliant and speak the truth is ridiculued an so on this day an age but in 50 or 100yrs are perhaps seen as brilliant or just majorly respect. People have such a hard time embracing anything new or anythings thats outside the box. Anyway, Thank you for the input :)

• The Big Bang Theory is not treated as fact; it's treated as the most valid and scientifically backed theory to date. Even Hawking himself would admit that he can't 100% prove it, we are talking about the beginning of space and time here. I really don't care thougj, whatever happened happened, and we're here. It's like we were givin an amazing gift and just keep asking why we were given and what store it was from, and how much it was, and what it's made out of. Shut up and play with your damn toy!

• The Big Bang Theory is a model for how the universe may have been created, and as a scientific theory, it is treated as fact (the English word "theory" does not mean the same thing in scientific terms than it does in normal conversation). It isn't universally (pardon the pun) accepted, but it stands as the best explanation we have so far of how the universe came to be. It is not only supported by predictive mathematics (which have been accurate many times in the past several decades) as well as well observed phenomena such as cosmic background radiation, cosmological expansion (as evidenced by red shift observations), empirical support for perturbation theory, and observations by Hubble and Kepler. There are, of course, many other pieces of evidence that support the model of the Big Bang Theory. These are just examples.

At least, this is how I understand it. I used to do computational astrophysics research for the U. S. Air Force Space Command and NASA.

• First off, a theory is a hypothesis that has been tried many many times and has so far not been proven wrong. A hypothesis is a possible explanation that has yet to be or has been proven right but only once or twice. Look up scientific method and don't confuse the two.

Now, the universe either was created by growth from something or was the way it was forever. Any explanation fits under one of these or is wrong. No if's and's or but's. I'd like to hear another explanation aside from these two. Just for kicks. Anyway, the expansion theory is called the big bang. At one point in time, everything was in a point with no volume and infinite density. What was there before or how this object got there is where I believe a higher more intelligent being comes into play. (God to me) The other option, I don't remember the name, is like I said before where everything is just there in some arrangement. The why, etc. is left up to religion, theologists, philosophers and such but that's beside the point. This idea was widely accepted before the stronger telescopes and better technology. With the space age also came that stars, more specifically, galaxies are moving away from ours. So this debunks the everything was idea. What's left is the Big Bang theory. Now many supporters of the old way tried proving it wrong and did not succeed so that is why it's a theory and the only plausible one at that.
    If you feel that it's being forced on you as the only way, well then you're stuck with it because I don't see any change soon. As for lack of evidence, you are simply misinformed. Blame who you want but there is extensive evidence in scientific journals and online. I implore you to look. I understand most of it requires a PhD to understand but the internet is sure to have some simplified versions that you and I can understand. I already explained the theory part so I hope this helps you.

• The biggest issue today is people misunderstanding what "Theory" means in science. Since it's used differently in other matters of speaking people get confused and think its something someone just made up randomly and it has no evidence. Whereas in reality for something to get to "theory" level in science it has to have evidence, peer review, years of study and deliberation before that. So scientific theories are way different from a "theory you have about why X does X"

• Here is your mistake, you are not educated enough to talk on the topic.

The big bang theory is not even believed by scientists who work on the area. It just is the biggest explanation for the creation of the universe and everything else with. One science grows and technology is bigger to travel further into the universe then this will be disproved and replaced by a better one and this will go till we get closer to the answer.

It is a theory, not an answer. Even scientists know this but reliegious nutjobs twist it to brainwash people.

• Its funny though, I get accused here for being uneducated for not accepting its the one and only truth or "fact" that I dont know enough about the topic cause I dont agree or believe in it and here I am uneducated for the opposite, but I agree kinda still, cause yes. I am aware of other theories and others i can agree more with, but have my own too naturally, but are of course without doubt scientist who are like deadset serious that the big bang theory is the truth and others who believe its wrong, I dont mean to say that every scientist believe as such, but its sadly the general norm of what is taught in schools and media. You never really hear of these others theories yourself unless you educate yourself on your own really. At least, that is my experience.

• For the same reason that Darwin's theory of evolution is.

• 1. The possibility that God has created anything I have put out of my mind
    2. There is very much evidence for the Big Bang, but I believe there's more than just the Big Bang and then boom Universe in our history.
    3. Scientific theories r much different than other theories. They're called theories because they can be proven wrong at a later time, but they're based on facts, they're not guesses.

Nobody knows what happened for sure but I'm guessing God didn't have anything to do with it

• I believe that the Big Bang Theory is the best we got at the moment. Personally I think there may be another better unknown reason for why things are the way they are. Something that makes more sense than "an explosion happened and then over billions of years stuff started to develop" since the cause of the explosion is still unknown.

• because science is magic. clearly u have not seen much science, or u would not of used them in the sentence like that. u ar clearly ranting for no reason other to rant. go make me a sammich while u rant at least.

• Translation = I has no brain and dont wanna think

• since i am not going to argue with some random... "person" on the internet. answer me this. why do u attack a random person with? does it have to do with the size of something else of urs? my intelligence is not in question here, besides the fact this is an opinion place. if u had done much studying or been around much science u would know it is very commonly reffered to as magic especially in older times. im sorry u dont understand what i say, but not everyone is on my level. dont feel bad

• Says you who attacked me first? And ironically though, it seems like you completely missed the point. Im not saying "science" is magic, but the science for the big bang, (cause they lack an explanation and reason behind the intial cause of big bang, cause it appeard of nowhere/nothing, which is magic, and this is not my explanation or opinion, its what scientist say and its a scientists own words too that I heard many times, that in order to believe in the big bang, you have to believe in magic. Which is pretty true. I linked a vid to this other guy that explains it pretty good and simple and better than me. So maybe you understand what Im saying instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3MWRvLndzs

• "Scientific theory" is regarded as a scientific fact with various amounts of supporting scientific evidence.

Gravity, evolution, cells or the fact that the Earth orbits the Sun are also... "just theories".
    Scientific theories are not "hypotheses" or "speculations", they are explanations BASED on supporting evidence.

• Strictly speaking, saying something is a fact is a very sketchy thing to do.
      For example we can't say "everything dies" is a fact, we can make a theory about it because all the evidence SUGGESTS that it is true, doesn't matter that our "theory" can be proven wrong when we find something immortal.

• you know that light travels at 300.000 meter/sec right? it takes 8 minutes for the light of the sun to reach our eyes. this means when we look at the sun, we see the sun of 8 minutes ago. there is light from the big bang still going through the universe. this means that scientists have been able to take pictures of the big bang when it was still banging.

• Yeah I know that, but no they have never taken any pictures whatsoever of the big bang. They dont know where it started or happen in our universe, they are clueless about the point of origin. Which is another thing too, they believe everything came from the same point of origin, which if they did, nothing in the universe should really collide like galaxies if everything was thrown out from the same point, with same force and what not, yet they do and yet we are on collison course with andromeda for example, which shouldn't really be possible either if the big bang was true. Hell, even in our own galaxy their is a star that is older than the age of the universe right now, yet we haven't changed the age of our universe either even when evidence points that our current age is wrong.

• A lot of science is theory, for instance Sir Isaac Newton's theory of gravitation. It's still largely seen as true though.
    Personally, I see the big bang (and theory of evolution) as answers to the question how was the universe created (evolution being an answer to how life was created), and creationism as an answer to the question who created the universe (or life).
    So, they are two answers to two different questions.

• two answers that might not be true. I can provide a third answer myself for example to how the universe was created, which would make more sense logically even than the big bang, but yeah, naturally it would be an attempt an answer.

But yeah true

• @AssJacket already have and it hardly required thinking, can give you at least 5 other theories too. Ill quote one of them I wrote as reply to someone else here.

• @AssJacket Hell yes I have better ideas. Like that our universe was shaped and formed in another universe in the same way stars get created in this universe. And their theory on top of it still dosent explain where the original matter or anti matter came from, which is magic. Something that appear out of nothing or nowhere, in my simple theory for example which are more logical too, it would explain it, cause matter naturally would already exsist if there was a universe outside our universe who provided the building blocks for the creation of our universe

• Yes, the Big Bang Theory is just that, a theory.
    It is the best explanation that has been theorised, so far.
    Do you have a better explanation?

• Because it is fact ( not to be mistaken with a truth ) at this time. Facts change as science changes and advances.

• its not fact to begin with though if it changes, then its only a guess or the best guess.

• Let me guess... you have never had an advanced physics class?

The reason I say that is because it sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.

• apparently more so than what they teach in physics or just schools in general then. You would say the same to every scientist who dont agree with the big bang theory too? They must accept all brainwash rather than think for themselves?

• More than you apparently.

What is it exactly you dont think I understand? the typical arguements for the big bang? the major 3 probably being the expansion, The cosmic microwave background, and the one about helium or the science itself for the big bang?

While I Meant to explain something to you, I think this vid I saw today probably explain it better than I could, if you supposedly know what you are talking about and I dont. Maybe you can enlighten everyone else on earth what makes the big bang theory definitive proof.

Which also funny enough, vid explain why im not far off from using the word "magic" in my question. Anyway, ill just link you.

• "What is it exactly you dont think I understand?"
      Have you ever derived the Einstein field equations?

I have. It is a pain in the butt.

• Meh it's a bloody good theory, it's an extrapolation of what we DO know that points to a singularity. I'm not really fussed, people can take it or leave it.

• Personally I think its a horrible theory, and the age of the universe they put on it all is quite the joke too. But true, I just wish that people could be as accepting of those who dont believe in it, as those that do.

• I am God, and I created everything.

• Well I'm a creationist so *shrugs*

• By definition , it's a theory, like "out of Africa" "evolution"' and race being a "social construct "

• Technically speaking, gravity is only a theory as well. Are you going to argue with the quantom physicists who have come to an agreement over what gravity is?

• No, cause I can toss an apple in the air and watch gravity in the making, already proving its exsistence. Big bang however has no solid proof whatsoever. Its pretty clear too, that scientists are pretty split on it all.

• There is no proof gravity is the cause. It could be little smurfs so small we can't see them. No, really, what if our most powerful microscopes can't let us see the smurfs, because they're that tiny?
      A scientific theory simply explains what is the more likely option. And yes, there are facts that support the big bang theory.

• I don't treat it as a fact, but I find it plausible. It's the theory that makes the most sense to me.

• do you have another explanation for the formation of the universe?

• Many and plenty, I mention one in the comments here, but maybe ill just do a mytake on it all since I have many.

• The university had a beginning both the bible and science confirms this, that's all we know at the moment.

• neither the bible nor science can really confirm this, they like to think they can anyway.

• If the universe is expanding then wouldn't that mean that it had an origin point

• That's why it's a theory. We will never truly know the answer, we can only guess.

• Because the math proves it. If the math is correct, it must be so (according to scientists).

• Well according to a different scientist again who done the math it was apparently impossible, which proves it wrong, but I dont know myself if Im going to believe that one or not yet.

• More from Guys
    9