Do different races of cats behave differently?

For dogs its obvious each race has distinct comportments and suits differents life styles. But what about cats? I feel like any race behaves pretty much the same and only difference is appearance. What do y'all think? Do you have experience in cat comportment regarding race?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cats do not have races. There are different species, sub-species and breeds that are the result of human intervention (selective breeding).
    I am an avid cat lover.
    From what I have observed, most cat behaviours are common to all cats, no matter what the size.
    There are, however, differences in intelligence and temperament.
    For example, the oriental domestic breeds are more intelligent and therefore even more independent that other cats.
    Tigers have a deserved reputation as stone-cold killers and are solitary cats.
    Lions, by comparison, live in family groups and are not nearly as dangerous was tigers, from a human and zoo handler point of view.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.
    I have 3 cats and 2 of them are pure breed cats and the 3rd is a normal cat from the streets.
    So, the youngest is a Maine Coon and he is the "boss" amond the animals in the house. He is very intelligent and opinionated for a cat and implies authority on the others. Heck, that cat protects me from our dog when he senses that I'm not feeling well (i. e. 1st day of period).
    The middle cat is a Persian cat and well... he is the dumbest cat I have come across in my life. He doesn't understand what's happening around him and can't even jump or run properly (which are basic cat things). If he were to be outside, he would get killed by bugs...
    And lastly, the normal street cat. She can be described as "the female logic". 😂 In one second she asks you to play with her, in the other second she wants to kill you because you played with her.

What Guys Said 13

• Sure. You have cats that are good hunters and certain breeds are not. Some breeds they suggest not to have atound children and elderly. Some are known as lap cats that are not too active but they like to be with you, on you and always nearby. Some breeds need more attention than others do. You can look up cat breeds and see the difference. Certain types of cats can cost between $500 to $1,000 dollars each. And some breeds are not allowed in certain states.

• There are some differences but it isn't as noticeable as dogs

• Definitely different. They are like humans, different personalities with each (I've owned several). Yes there are some basic similarities but they are different for sure. It also depends how they are treated by their owners/people. Some are more affectionate then others.

• Yes. We have a tortoise shell. They and calicos are nutty as a fruitcake.

• Yeah they do, I had cats before for 5 times.3 of them were Persian cats, and 2 of them were from somewhere Europe ( I dont remember now ) Persian cats were so proud, they were like they are owning everything and I am their slave lol. They would hit me with their paw whenever I wanted to show them sum love. But my other 2 cats were loyal, they didn't even hit me once, they were obeying everything, but negative thing was they were meow'ing a lot so it pretty fucked my head after some time.

• Apparently, breeds do have common traits, most prominently in how vocal/active and human/pet friendly they are.
    But honestly, I had four cats and they were all completely different in behavior.

• Cats are individuals. I've been around many different cats and have 2 of my own and no cat is the same.

• Have you considered comparing the 12 cats you own OP?

• Don't be a felineist.

• Racism doesn't exist for cats.

#unity

• yes lions are very different from house cats

• yes siamese cats are MEAN.

• ah i think its true, my cousins had 2 siamese who liked to poo all over the house except in their litter box, or maybe they were just fucked up cats

• Noooo they are very much different
    I feel dogs are all the same

What Girls Said 10

• Do different BREEDS of cats behave differently? Yes.

For instance Turkish Vans are one of the only breeds of cat that love to be in the water and have the coat to keep themselves warm when wet.

• interesting. yes breeds, srry i typed the without thinking, English is not y mother tongue and in my language we say race meaning breed.

• You mean breed not race I believe. Each individual animal has their own traits, the differences between breeds are more obvious in dogs than they are in cats (not talking about looks here) I have had a few domestic short hair cats and they all had. their own personalities and similar layed back style. Whereas my Maine Coon is a whole other story. She is mellow at times, crazy at times, weird as hell (I mean she just followed me into the bathroom and sat on my lap as I went pee, then damn near jumped in the toilet when I flushed) now I don't know any other Maine Coons to compare her by but she certainly does things that I haven't seen any of my domestic house hold cats do.

• I have a purebred cat and he exhibits certain behaviors common to that breed. I know because I've had this same type of cat for the last 21 years of my life.

• Orange cats are awesome. And the proper wording is "breed of cats."

• Cute question, yes they do

• They're called breeds, not races haha 😂

In any case, they actually do behave differently. The differences may not be as big as with dogs, but there definitely are some.

• no, that's racist

• srry English is not my first language, in french we say race regarding breeds or animals

• Absolutely every cat I've had has had a different personality. I have a Norwegian Forest Cat, and he's the most outgoing and friendly pet I've ever had. Don't know if that goes with the breed though.

• They're called BREEDS for fuck sake!

• Yes, just a few of them and only basic info. cfa.org/.../BreedPersonalityChart.aspx
    There's loads out there and better info on characteristics can be found.