Would this be possible with time travel?

A mother gives birth to a daughter. The daughter goes back in time and gives birth to the mother.

0|0
11|12

Most Helpful Guy

• No, even if you subscribe to some predestination version of time travel where paradoxes don't happen because although you can travel to the past you can't change anything that happened (like Bruce Willis in Twelve Monkeys) you can't have a grandmother with the exact same genes as her granddaughter.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• Can't do it. In your scenario, the daughter goes back in time to marry her grandfather instead of her grandmother marrying her grandfather. That would mean their child would not be her mother, and then there'd be that whole It's a Wonderful Life situation where one wrong moves wipes on person out of history entirely. Cool idea though. Confusing, but cool.

0|2
    0|0
  • It depends what time travel theories you subscribe to.

4|3
    0|0
  • So the daughter fucks her dad?

You crazy incest lovers, coming up with new ways to broach the subject of inter-family relations... leave time travel out of your weird games!

0|1
    0|0
  • Wait.. Whut

1|2
    0|0
  • You cannot go backwards in time. That scenario has been run 1000 times and the same conclusion results. Whenever you watch on TV is like believing Superman really flies

0|1
    0|0
  • 0|2
    0|0
    • Wtf. Where are mark wajlberg's eyebrows?

• Show All
    • And why doesn't he just spend some of that money on minodoxil and Vaseline to grow it out

• @Healthnutwannabe2 I just fill em in, no problem :P mark here should also

• Nope, unless each of them belong to different timelines. It would not be possible in the same timestream.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm way too tired for this 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • No, that's really stupid.

1|0
    0|0
  • after reading this my brain is broke

0|1
    0|0
  • Thats stupid :/

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 11

• No one really knows.
    There is however the Bartender paradox which has a similar circumstance.
    It goes like this:
    A baby girl is mysteriously dropped off at an orphanage in Cleveland in 1945. "Jane" grows up lonely and dejected, not knowing who her parents are, until one day in 1963 she is strangely attracted to a drifter. She falls in love with him. But just when things are finally looking up for Jane, a series of disasters strike. First, she becomes pregnant by the drifter, who then disappears. Second, during the complicated delivery, doctors find that Jane has both sets of sex organs, and to save her life, they are forced to surgically convert "her" to a "him." Finally, a mysterious stranger kidnaps her baby from the delivery room.

Reeling from these disasters, rejected by society, scorned by fate, "he" becomes a drunkard and drifter. Not only has Jane lost her parents and her lover, but he has lost his only child as well. Years later, in 1970, he stumbles into a lonely bar, called Pop's Place, and spills out his pathetic story to an elderly bartender. The sympathetic bartender offers the drifter the chance to avenge the stranger who left her pregnant and abandoned, on the condition that he join the "time travellers corps." Both of them enter a time machine, and the bartender drops off the drifter in 1963. The drifter is strangely attracted to a young orphan woman, who subsequently becomes pregnant.

The bartender then goes forward 9 months, kidnaps the baby girl from the hospital, and drops off the baby in an orphanage back in 1945. Then the bartender drops off the thoroughly confused drifter in 1985, to enlist in the time travellers corps. The drifter eventually gets his life together, becomes a respected and elderly member of the time travellers corps, and then disguises himself as a bartender and has his most difficult mission: a date with destiny, meeting a certain drifter at Pop's Place in 1970.

The question is: Who is Jane's mother, father, grandfather, grand mother, son, daughter, granddaughter, and grandson? The girl, the drifter, and the bartender, of course, are all the same person.

2|1
    0|0
    • This situation is impossible, how could Jane give birth to the drifter if they're the same person. And how would the drifter not recognize himself but female version? I read this 2 times already and I'm still confused.

• @reixun It's a paradox it's supposed to be confusing and honestly I have no idea how that would work. No one has every time travelled before so this is all speculation.

• whoa, this is much more complex than my scenario

• Butterfly effect. It couldn't happen because it's circular. It would repeat endlessly with different results, causing a logical loop that would break the flow of time. At any rate, the results of it would be the same results as incest. They'd both be fucking their own grandfathers. Eventually, they'd develop a life threatening condition or defect.

0|2
    0|0
    • no, it would not get progressively worse like repeated incest. It's one instance of incest that is only repeated at the same point in time, so it never gets worse.

• Show All
    • I thought about it some more, and now I think you were right. There would be an accumulative effect, causing further and continual inbreeding. Then I wonder what happens when that inbreeding prevents the loop from continuing. Because that would mean an instance didn't happen, which would mean the previous instance didn't happen, then it seems like the whole thing would unravel and reverse or something.

Either that, or there would be a kind of extra dimensional death, where she never really died, but she never really lived either.

So whether that means it couldn't happen or that it balances itself out it something I can't think through right now lol.

• @SnatchFinderGeneral That's why I don't believe in time travel. Travel to tangential timelines, or alternate dimensions, perhaps, but not going back in time. If people do go back in time, then their effects would have already been felt.

• It is universally accepted that time travel forward is possible. But time travel backwards in time violates cause-and-effect and is both theoretically impossible and mathematically impossible

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's possible, but the daughter would be inbred.

It's even possible for a mother to give birth to a daughter, and then the daughter goes back in time and gives birth to herself.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah, there would be overlap. time in order to fix things will eliminate one person.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess that would be a paradox

0|2
    0|0
  • Temporal mechanics gives me a headache.

0|1
    0|0
  • We call that a fry. Watch futurama. It'll explain what happens

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't be the mother; it'd be someone else.

0|0
    0|0
  • Even if you could travel through time random shit would occur that would make this impossible to happen.

0|1
    0|0