Do you think other intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

I'd like to think there is but the universe they say is around 14-15 billion years old and it took earth around 3 billion to get where it is now.
So that's a fair whack out of time the universe existed so there might not be another set of circumstances out there which have produced life and stability the same as the circumstances which produced the earth.

Maybe we're it and the universe is dispersing now so less new planets are forming.
Or maybe there were more planets with life closer to the start of the universe before earth existed. Say 5-7 billion years ago and those planets and solar systems are long gone now.

Perhaps we were late to the party.
What do you think?
(Apologies on my vague facts. I'm not a scientist or anything)

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe that primitive life is common but intelligent life is rare. Most life forms in outer space is probably microbial but a handful of them may be advanced enough to reach us. I bet there are really intelligent life forms out there but to search and contact them could end in our own destruction.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah.. But other stupid life exists elsewhere in the universe for sure.

We can't be the only ones.

What Girls Said 16

• There probably is other intelligent life. In fact, I bet there's lots and lots of other intelligent life.
    If you allow a sufficiently liberal definition of "intelligent life" -- say, including inanimate systems that are capable of "remembering" non-initial states, sorta like "circuit boards" made out of organic material -- then, tbh, there is probably intelligent life just about everyfreakin'where.

BUT...
    The probability that we'll actually be able to TELL that it's intelligent life... is almost certainly ≈ 0.

I mean, think about it.

• We live for a little under 100 years. Our spoken communication is in bursts of 1-5 seconds.
    What if we find "intelligent life" that lives for 0.07 second, and whose spoken communication is in bursts of 0.00002 second?
    Or life that lives for 100,000,000 years, and whose sentences take 55,000 years on average to speak?
    You get me. We'd never have clue #1 that we were looking at intelligent life, even if it was literally staring us in the face.

• We exist between roughly –60º to 140ºF (–50º to 60ºC).
    What if we find "intelligent life" that exists at –270ºC, just a couple degrees above absolute zero, where air is a solid?
    Or what if we find "intelligent life" that exists at 800ºC and 1000 atmospheres of pressure, where everything is so overheated and overcompressed that solids, liquids, gases and plasmas are all the same?
    Uhhhh yeah.

And even if we DID find intelligent life within our ridiculously narrow parameters of Earthling-ness... what if it communicated outside the range of our instruments? What if they spoke with gamma rays, so that "listening" would instantly give us lethal radiation poisoning? What if they spoke with changing magnetic or electric fields? What if they just *implied* everything through some incredibly rich culture where everything was a proxy for something else that was a proxy for something else that was a proxy for something else, and we'd have no fucking way of ever figuring it out?

Yep.

So yeah, there's basically no way we'll ever find intelligent life AND KNOW we've found it.

... And if that happens, well, either we'll kill them, or they'll kill us. Because that's how it goes, on the frontier. Some things never change.

• hi, maybe a bit irrelevant but you sound like you would enjoy this i saw on facebook, Incredible Universe added the video via Page of Laughter comment was Did you know this much about our Earth? on 26th feb absolutely amazing, I've always had the view from the pure expanse there could so be more out there but also we are so unique and the circumstances that happened for our evolution. Dust to dust everything that evolved on earth started from a single organism that came from space, so i like to think that one day when earth finishes life force organisms will float off once again and one day reach another place and do the same but it will most likely evolve very differently. i didn't know this until recently watching morgan freemans shows about the universe but humans immune systems are actually an alien part of our dna and there's quite a percentage that is considered alien, not of earth, where organisms? have fallen to earth and changed evolution, so i guess it still happening potentially everyday. im just waiting for the one that will enable us to use all our brain!! xx wouldn't that be amazing... xx

• Yeah, but I believe it's God and angels and demons.

• @TakeMaker I mean hey, it's an honest answer.

• Who is to say it's not the case

• I sometimes doubt there is intelligent life here on earth...

• It's too early in the morning for me to explain my point of view with logical statements, but yes I agree with you

• i totally think that other life exist maybe not intelligent but yeah.

• Do you think there's anything more than bacteria?
      Cause they already know there's that

• I mean we have found bacteria so could that bacteria have grown into something that can support itself with lack of oxygen and sunlight

• I don't think in the condition they found it but who knows and who knows where it came from

• i dont even believe intelligent life in earth let alone in the universe :)

to tell the truth, i am100% sure that there are extra terrestrial civilizations all around the universe.

• ... I do, but I don't know in what form or @ what level of intelligence.

• I have always believed that other intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.

• Of course there is, it'd be stupid to think that there wasn't even a slight possibility

• Probably

• I think it's practically certain. Will we ever meet? No idea.

• Like the early Christians Beleived there are different planes Earth heaven and hell. That whole heaven is in the sky thing came from the Roman invasion . So that's the extraterritorial life i believe in.

• It absolutely does. It's pretty arrogant to think we are the only ones out there

• Yes. The universe is vast, and there are many other universes. There is something else out there.

• No, none exist cause if they existed we would have know it long years ago

• What if they're like us and haven't mastered space travel yet?

• @ItsBatmanNotBatgirl At first we shouldn't have ever lived. It was caused by so many different things, etc...
      By a scientific point of view it's logic to tell that's we are the one

• Shouldn't have ever lived? The one? The one what?

What Guys Said 27

• Have you ever heard of the Atacama mummy?
    i.huffpost.com/.../o-ATACAMA-HUMANOID-570.jpg?7
    siriusdisclosure.com/.../Being-Pictures-065.jpg
    Scientists ran a DNA test on it and it turned out to be an adult human with a weird mutation, but I dont believe that a human with such an extreme mutation can survive outside of the womb.

Also how do you explain the fact that many civilisations in the world build pyramids? I am talking about civilisations that never had contact with one another. How did they get to the same conclusion?

Last year a former Canadian defence minister came out and confessed that Earth has been in contact with several kinds of aliens. I am sceptical about this but here's the article if you want to read it.

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...eveal-secret-files.html

• Planets are still continuously forming because stars are also continuously forming.

Google "Population I stars" and "Population II stars".

In short, the Population II stars were the previous (first) generation of stars. They are very old and most have died. However, from the supernovae explosions, elements with higher atomic number than iron are created (Google "supernova nucleosynthesis") and that was necessary for the creation of the planets during the creation of the Population I (second generation of stars which is prevalent in the universe).

So, the universe has a long way to go before it dies and there are mathematically certain that extraterrestrials exist. As for them being interstellar space-faring, that is another issue.

Finally, you should also Google "Drake Equation".

• Quite possibly, there could be life beyond planet Earth that surpasses whatever level of intelligence and intellect that we current possess.

• I tthink its pretty obvious yes their intelligent life in the universe, early estimates predicts it would be more than 10.000 different species as intelligent or more intelligent than humans in our galaxy, and it is at least 100 billion galaxies. Thats 1000000000000000 different types of species with intelligent life in our universe. But considring the latest findings, they realise its a lot more common than they first thought for the possbility of life as well as intelligent life in our universe, so they think the numbers are way higher. Basically though. You are more likely to win the first price in the biggest lotterly minimum over a 100.000.000.000 in a row if everyone on earth participated than for their to not be intelligent life in the universe beside us.

People used to bully me all the time in school for thinking their was life out their the universe, I was insane for thinking it. To me it has an always will be insane to think we are alone in something that is so crazy huge as our universe with so so many stars and planets.

• I'm interested to know where those estimates came from?

• Ill link you if I find it again, been some years ago since I heard/saw it now.

• The universe is endless. That's the first thing human brain can't imagine. So if someone say the universe is 14 billion ears old, it doesn't have to be true. There can be life somewhere, but we aren't able to see it because it's too far. Currently we aren't able to fly to Mars. And I believe aliens are much more far away from there.

• So you would bet they're out there?

• I believe they already were here. Because some paintings in the caves from prehistory has been found. And these paintings picture flying dish, etc. Why would someone draw it?
      Plus a lot of sights of UFO, was reported as well.

• Maybe it was a prehistoric science fiction novel

• It's possible but if it exists it's probably at to great a distance to be of any importance to us.

• Do you think it's more likely it exists or more likely it doesn't?

• No. Just by what I know about the age and behaviour of the universe. But I can't decide which way to lean

• Neither do I
      If life was highly developed and within travel distance we would have met them (unless they hide from us because they think humans are a bunch of dangerous fools, which would prove their intelligence)
      If life was not highly developed and not within travel distance we would not have met them, probably never will.

• Yes, I do believe intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe. It's just too freaking vast to believe otherwise. I also believe that we have been visited by these intelligent beings before but the Gov't has been keeping it hush.

• Yeah, but they don't want us to know about them.
    Earth is like the redneck neighbors you don't want to know you're home. lol.

• They're out there. The Thargoids.

• Somewhere but very very far away

• Yeah, we're like the universe's ghetto, we're dumb af, haha. There's definitely smarter life out there, smart enough to stay the fuck away from our crappy planet (that us geniuses are killing) anyways.

• I belief it exists, right here in our solar system, and our planet. How do you detect highly advance higher dimensional beings if they don't want to be detected?

• Yeah I've had that discussion before and I agree we only know as much as we are able to observe. There are surely things outside our capabilities

• yeah to me its rather obvious, virtually every religion and culture on the planet, says this planet was seeded by "Star beings". How do people on 5 or 6 continents who speak all different languages all come up with essentially the same story

• Universe is so vast its not possible that there isn't other intelligent life out there. I am sure there is other intelligent life even in our Galaxy.

• Just go on Google look at all of the pics and videos real ones of UFOs, and my mom and I saw an actual UFO. Yes I believe in aliens.

• I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if there is

• The most accurate estimate of the time since the Big Bang is 13.7 billion years. The Earth and the rest of our solar system is 4.57 billion years old.

Yes, I think other "living" organisms exist.

• considering how stupid we are yes.

• i asked a question similar to this got a bunch of responses

• What's your opinion on it?

• there most definitely is all because we dont have evidence its stupid as fuck to believe were the only intelligent race hell we have found planets similar to ours odds are there are intelligent races on it

• Cool. I'd like to think so too

• Life, yes probably, intelligent... maybe. I think that its most likely to be simple life forms. How do you define intelligence? Are we an intelligent life form? We can't even send humans to our nearest planet (mars) yet. And we manage to fight over pretty much anything and everything. Yet we are the most intelligent species we have come across.

• I would define as at least similar or higher intelligence than us.
      So they have equivalent communication etc

• The universe is expanding very quickly, so today, even with light speed we cannot escape our local space region. Still, we invent new stuff everyday...
    Might be near impossible to acess the great majority of the universe (specially becase other's don't seem to be able to do it also...) ... : (

But they should be somewhere...

... maybe the vaccum is... more alive than people think... : )) ...

• This is a really interesting question.
    I think you should watch Bill Nye on youtube, the video is called bill nye's answer to the fermi paradox.
    You are right about the timeline of the universe and intelligent life on earth. It is possible that life has developed before us, even died off before we can come along. The universe is a supermassive expanse, and travelling blind looking for life will be nigh impossible. Even if an intelligent civilization has pinpointed us, it will take generations to contact us. Also humankind's technology developed according to what was available to us, another civilization may have developed technology differently, so we may be looking using totally different technologies. There is also the scary possibility that an ancient civilization came to pre-life earth and planted life as we know it before venturing out, which makes us -in an odd way -extraterrestrials.

• Statistically speaking I think it's almost impossible for it not to exist somewhere else.

• That's the thing though, almost impossible. So there's still that element of doubt that creeps into your mind. That's what I'm struggling with.

• Here's a thought excersize that will take it a little further:

Life isn't any more complicated now than it has been since the rise of multi-sensory sophisticated life on this planet. And when we saw shows like 'After People' we saw ALL traces of human life would be gone within a million years, and our intelligence has gotten us this far in less than 100,000 years.

Intelligent life could have risen AND fallen on Earth MANY times and we wouldn't know about it.

• yes, the odds of it not existing are pretty damn low, so i assume there is other intelligent life.

• and just a tiny little interesting fact here: the globally agreed policy about messages from extraterrestrial life forms is: "ignore it and conceal it from the public"

• So that's why we haven't heard anything. Bastards!

• well i mean also: we only see (as in being able to take notice of in any known way) a tiny fraction of the universe.

there are 2 scenarios for live out there:

1: it has an inferior or equal intellect, which means it can't reach us either
      2: it has a vastly superior intellect, which means it won´t be interested in contacting us (if it even has the capability to), cause there´s nothing for them to gain from it.

• I think to believe we're the only intelligent life in the universe, which is absolutely unfathomably HUGE, is ignorant

• Elsewhere? THE LIFE HERE ON EARTH IS STILL NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO COEXIST FOR THE BENEFIT OF MANKIND!!

• Nope especially when you consider the holographic nature of universe it's quite possible that we are the only ones who exist in it.

• What do you mean by the holographic nature?
      So do they think the universe is mostly a hologram?

• Oh my god, what a mind blowing theory!

• The rabbit hole goes deep my friend