How to stop thinking of an embarrassing moment?

Every time something embarrassing happens to me, I just can't stop thinking about it. I can't sleep, or study, all I do is playing over and over again that moment. And often, it's not even that embarrassing! So do you have any tips to stop thinking of an embarrassing moment? Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah they dont happen often at all and mostly only 10% of people notice a moment although in your head you think everyone has dont worry about it!

Most Helpful Girl

• Well honey. You need to learn to laugh at yourself as soon as that embarassing thing happens. Otherwise you constantly ponder on it. Like me, i always claimed i am well travelled i know a little bit more knowledge about most countries in Europe and south america than an average person. One day i was introduced to my ex's family we started talking about something i was supportingg and i got confused about Ireland and iceland.. You might not think this is embarassing but whole situation at that time in front of whole family was so embarassing... Then i was shocked later when i noticed why they were looking at mr so weird and when my ex was like 'were ypu serious earlier?' After we left. Anyways still today it bugs me but there is nothing i can do about it.

Right now whenever something embarassing happens i laugh and tell people oh look how noob i am or snap stupid me and then make them laugh ag the situation... So they forget i forget all awkwardness vanishes. If yoh take yourself too seriously and not laugh at your mistakes or silliness then embarassing moments will always bug you.

What Guys Said 9

• I used to be prone to obsessing over the smallest embarrassing things and being really shy around people. I'd rewind embarrassing things that happened in my mind and feel ashamed for weeks, months, sometimes years.

That was until I started drinking, when I was embarrassed myself to such an epic level (ex: going streaking publicly in front of thousands of people while it was snowing) that it no longer seemed worth being embarrassed about anything anymore.

• You can stop having embarrassing moments... that helps.
    Embarrassing moments happen, and people replay them a lot, just be patient, someone else will have their moment and yours will become history.

• focus on something thats difficult.. or go watch something on youtube thats REALLY stupid and just laugh. both of these will help =P

• Do something even more embarrassing. Then something even more embarrassing. Eventually you'll stop giving a shit.

• Just gotta keep living life and replace old memories with new ones.

• think about butterflies.

• Omg I do that too, I thought I was the only one XD

• When I was in the 1st grade I had this babysitter. She was this young, really pretty girl who loved me so much and I acted like a spoiled prick and made her cry. She thought she didn't mean anything to me and little did she know that seeing her cry changed me for the rest of my life. I never saw her again but I also never stopped thinking about how embarrassed I was for what I did and hating myself for having the capacity to do it.

Ever since then I worked really hard on being a good friend. Being someone who can forgive and love everyone. I'm the furthest thing from what I was over 15 years ago.

My point is, embarrassment is important. It's like what reminds us of how we feel we should act. It's best to face problems like this, head on

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• Omg! Ik exactly what you mean, I do the same thing it's like I just can't stop. I usually just try to focus on the good aspect of that day to drown out the bad. Also, I try to make sure whatever happened doesn't happen again. I usually just watch a funny show on Netflix or something that makes me laugh out loud. It doesn't change what happened but it makes it a lot better. Plus, a lot of the time when we replay and embarrassing event it's only us that really thinks about it/remember it. Good luck.

• It's happened to all of you. God knows I have a ton of moments I rather not remeber. But don't focus on it. Whoever you feel like mind thinking about it again, do something else to distract you. Activitely stop yourself from thinking of it

• Accept it. With courage, humor and grace. Grow beyond it. Be a lady ;) Unexpected things happen, you dont have control over them and it depends upon how you handle them. ^^

• I shake my head a little when such thoughts come in my mind.

• I usually just remember something that someone else did that was embarrassing lol and then am like "hmmm... Mine wasn't so embarrassing after all" lol 😂