Do you stop listening to musicians for saying homophobic/racist/sexist things?

i don't, i enjoy diss tracks which almost always include slurs [f*gg**] and even if i hate that kind of language i still love the music.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• if the artist's personality, songs and style are saturated with that language then ill absolutely stop listening to them. if it's a word here and there with a good beat and generally good lyrics ill let em slip by.

What Guys Said 25

• I wouldn't even start listening to him in the first place.
    In fact, I believe that people should be HEAVILY fined for saying stuff like that. One or two years ago, some famous Jamaican rapper wanted to hold a big concert in my country. Before he came, the concert got a lot of media attention because he's a fucking homophobic asshat. Well, eventually the politics responded and when he arrived at the airport a few days later, he was told that he had been banned from entering the country and that he had to return right away. Yesss he got what he deserved.

• At what point do you stop limiting a person's freedom of speech?

• @ThisDudeHere Basically when it is intended to hurt or defame other people, particularly minorities. For example you can say that you don't like black people. That shouldn't be a problem. That's just your opinion. However, if you say "all black people should be killed", that is a condescending and defaming utterance and it can in fact be interpreted by other people as an open call to go around and kill black people. Hence, such statements should be punished.

• @ThisDudeHere In the case of these gangsta rappers who say horrible things about gay people, their lyrics can't be viewed as a valuable opinion statement. By that I mean: these kind of "musicians" don't rap about gay people to actually SAY something about homosexuality or gay people. The ONLY purpose of talking about this topic is to intentionally hurt gay people and - in some cases - encourage their listeners to discriminate gay people. I believe that such a hostile and anti-social behavior should be punished by society, just like we punish other hostile and anti-social behaviors (stealing, harassing, raping etc.).

• Yes. I am not into songs that have a lot of swearing or just uninteresting lyrics. I don't understand all songs but I can usually tell if it's on the nice side or the bad side. Example: When I compare old school (80's) Hip-Hop with modern (today's) rap then there is a huge difference. All I notice in modern rap is swearing and lyrics that are just not a joy to hear. Old school never has swearing and is always understandable. Great rhymes, beats, not too fast.

• I'm only offended if something is applicable to me. So unless their negativity is directed at straight, white, men, I probably wouldn't have an emotional response.

• It depends on how bad it is, often it's "gray zone" and obviously not meant to hurt.
    Here in Belgium, with a large North African community, we're used to a lot unfortunately :-(

• It's mostly just pop music that has that kind of hate music, diss tracks are so dumb, every stupid pop rapper does it, or talks about money... blah boring

• His palms sphagetti arms spaghetti palms sphagetti moms sphagetti

• I wouldn't even start listening to that kind.

• Nope. If I like the songs, I'll listen to them.

• No. I'm still gonna listen to them.

• I don't give a shit about what musicians/actors/celebrities say outside their work.
    I only care about the piece they're in.

• I Rage Against The Machine I love their music so much, but I hate what theyre saying so much

• Yeah I don't want to keep hearing complete shit.

• I love Eminem's songs but I just love the way he says it and he doesn't truly mean those things about guys who aren't straight I just like the way it sounds the way he delivers it I especially love his disses

• yeah i agree, i love the way it's said

• not much to understand from someone who raps what he raps but i still like his flow.

• I'm talking about his personality he loves his fans and is very cool

• Nah, Linkin park said f*ggot once and I don't think anyone hates them

• I don't follow the lives of celebrities or anything, doesn't interest me.

• I'm more music related,
    So I don't care about lyrics
    But sometimes in metal they insult God too much
    I don't like this

• Nope I like good music that's all

• Nope

• Though it does bug me that Eric Clapton is allowed into the blues hall of fame.
      As Eric Clapton once launched into a racist tirade at a concert in Birmingham where he talked about wanting to 'keep Britain white' and Blues is a genre that came out of the African American community

• woow what a hypocrite lmao

• I don't listen to rap music because of the language and innuendo.

• as long as its not offensive to me, idc

• the artists i listen to never say homophobic shit.

• like if eminem said "gay"? that's normal.

censored music without swear words? that's fucked up

• ya eminem is a huge example, he always says sexist/homophobic things. he's still a great rapper tho.

• I dunno. Maybe the US is too gay for him.

• I listen to dance hall, so go figure!

• Does dancehall music involve mean language? I didn't know.

• Yes but it has tone down a lot now. There are a lot of homophobic songs like "real badman doh apologize to no batty boy"

• As per usual disability ignored.

• nah it's the best

What Girls Said 17

• Hmm, I struggle with that because a lot of my favorite celebrities/youtubers do things that I question morally. At the end of the day, I pick and choose who to support and who not to support. There was an article about this guy who loved a certain composer, but the composer was racist, and he struggled with appreciating the man's music or being so appalled he couldn't. In the end he chose to see that the composer could be a brilliant musician and also a less than great person. This was probably Wagner, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Is outright being homophobic music worse than the composers of a racist, that's really up to the individual.

• I do not listen to the kind of music you mentioned. I mostly care about the lyrics that the musicians are singing on top melodies. I listen to people whose lyrics are meaningful to me. Couple examples of my taste are Ben Howard, Tallest Man on Earth, Florence and the Machine, Mumford and Sons, Kongos etc. I find those diss tracks swearing constantly very unintelligent, unimaginative and hateful but I am not against those who listened to them. I think music should touch souls, and be a mirror of whatever you experienced in your life. And I surely do not feel or have not experienced hateful stuff against different races, sexes or orientations. So my answer is I do not listen to them and if my current fave musicians start swearing like that, I would immediately stop listening to them and buy their records/vinyls/merchandise, and stop going to their concerts for sure.

• Nope... And don't intend to. As long as the songs good still has a good beat and meaning.

Now I can't bare to listen to songs that are about nothing it drives me mad! 😩

• I don't enjoy that type of music. So I wouldn't stop because I wouldn't even start lol

• I get turned off by it depending on the frequency of the word usage. If it's just one or two songs I can deal with it. I did stop listening to one group that made lots of songs bashing my religion. It was too much for me.

• Most of the songs that are released on air are rapping on about things in a negative way. Our ears are their mental dumping platforms.

• Nope, I'll still listen to them.

• No. I just listened to a comedy song and it had all 3 things you listed in it, but I like the song so

• I do. I hate racial slurs. It takes away from the music in my opinion.

• Nah.

• Not really

• I do, it's part of why I stopped listening to a lot of hip hop and rap. I can't stand slurs.

• what do u listen to instead?

• Rock, metal, some folk.

• I feel that way too. I actually think it's really tragic that so many people enjoy listening to shitty rappers who are so dumb they can only talk about money and fucking their bitches and beating up faggots and all that crap when there are in fact highly educated and intelligent rappers who possess great lyric abilities and write about social, political and philosophical stuff that really matters.

• if they really mean it yes

• No I don't care

• Racist I'd stop listening, the rest i don't care

• because you lowkey agree and are ok with the things that are said on these songs... If I don't like to hear the word "n*gga" you better believe that I won't be listening to a song where the word is repeated 2000 times