Were you a good driver from the get-go? How did you become better?

I am a new driver and starting to give up on this driving thing.
only because my parents worry when I drive (even though im a good driver I think, not wreckless at all).. They are just scared of other drivers and it brings down my confidence.
also, i am really bad at reverse parking or parallel parking. I dread it soo much and dread having to do it. I have a spacial problem i think.

im just not perfect yet and it scares me.. Do i need to be perfect right away? Whats good enough?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well there's the actual skill of driving the vehicle itself, and then there's knowing the rules of the road and how to coexist with other drivers. Two different things. Some people can naturally be good at driving a vehicle, and not to brag, but I'm one of them. Learning the rules, that's something everybody will need to learn. Studies have shown that playing video games with driving can make you a better driver. But of coarse, nothing makes you a better driver, both skillfully and intellectually, than actually driving the vehicle. Don't worry, you will get better! I guess the only advice I can think of is to try reversing into your driveway when you get home to get a better natural feel of your vehicle so when you have to do it in public, it will go smoother. Good luck!

• You are soo rightt.
      I think I'm just too nervous to parallel park or reverse into a parking spot with cars between... so then how do I practice this, ya know? I feel like I need the cars there to make it more realistic, but at the same time Im super scared of messing up the cars. Lool

• Well if possible, find an empty parking lot and practice there. If you can get the hang of backing in between the lines, you'll be able to back in between two cars. Parallel parking is one of the hardest things for a driver to learn. I myself have backed into the curb a decent number of times learning, but eventually got the hang of it. I then upgraded to a newer car with down tilting side mirrors which made it even easier yet. Try looking up some "how to parallel park" videos on youtube for some helpful tips. Then practice it! Maybe even use some cones or something as the "other cars" And I'm gonna let you know right now, you ARE going to hit the curb, everybody does. And when you do hit the curb, don't get mad, upset, or feel embarrassed, it's no big deal, just try again and again until you get the hang of it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I was pretty good. I'm still fine. I just don't parallel park ever, so that could always use improvement.

What Guys Said 12

• I want not a bad driver but I was not a good driver. It takes a while to get used to it and to become good at it. There are experiences in a car that you just have to go through before you can get good at driving.

• What kind of experiences, do you mean?

• On the road experiences, when you can turn because you have learned to gauge how fast a car is coming at you, traffic, how you are with other people in the car distracting you...

• No, I was terrible at the start but now I believe I'm better than the majority of other drivers on the road.
    It's just from experience. I've driven long distances often so my skills, awareness of conditions and concentration has become very good.

The best way to learn is to drive by yourself and not have someone next to you directing you.

• How were you terrible? It didn't stop you from driving?
      Wow, people are like 10x more confident than I am in themselves lol

• I was terrible. Same like you, I wasn't very good at parallel parking and I even hired professional driving instructors to help me and it didn't work. Their techniques just didn't work for me.
      So what I did was this: my father was out of the country and left his car home (obviously) and he told me to every few days go and start the engine so the battery didn't go flat but instead of just starting the engine, I drove it around the quiet streets in the dead of night near my house and just practiced parallel parking all over the place and worked out my own method.
      So I got really good at it.

• First of all :we all have been there and all people was new drivers one day.
    You need to develop your self confidence. So you should start drive alone or with one of your friends. About parking thing : you'll get improvement only with training. It doesn't take long to get rid of this issue.

• Was alright, I failed my divers test at first because I drove a standard and theyre Nazis about stupid things. You'll learn, parents are pretty bad to drive with is the main issue

• I was very good in the beginning. But as I got older, I stopped giving a shit, and now I drive HORRIBLY

• I failed my road test 3 times before I got my licence. Fast forward to today, I have driven for 5 years with no accidents and no tickets. I even work at a dealership driving high end cars now. Practice make perfect. You'll get better. Don't worry!

• Wow! That gives me tons of hope!
      I also failed it 3 times until I finally got it haha
      beats you up a bit, doesn't it? :p

• For sure! What didn't help is that I did all of my tests in a manual car, in the snow haha. Just remember to not text and drive, and you'll already be better than like 50% of drivers!

• I was driving on main roads the first day I got into a car. Then again, I'm a fucking genius. I nearly learned to drive in just 20 hours behind a wheel, but had to stop because I ran out of money.

And this was all in a manual transmission car.

• I think I was a natural personally. Only way you get better is being behind that wheel and driving.

• i was a horrible driver, but I drive like a grandma now. I live in a big city, and I've never had to parallel park in my life.

• I was always pretty good. Passed the test on my first try, no tickets no accidents yet.

• I'm the best driver in

• I had my problems at the start too. When I started driving with real cars, I had problems seeing over the steering wheel and reaching the pedals (I was small when I started driving with 8). I also failed the first test at age 18 because of wrong turn signal and exceeding the speed limit by 2mph. But I never had a road accident or ticket for the nearly 20 years of driving a car. But I am still bad at parallel parking because I seldom need it.
    Good way to practice is at a empty parking lot like at the super market after it closed with friends/parents who already have some driving experience or at empty/private roads.
    One thing to remember: It's better to (be prepared to) brake once too often than one time not.

What Girls Said 7

• Parking is difficult for almost all new drivers... There's only one way to get better at it and that's practice. You shouldn't be scared of trying to park your car, it'll take you longer than most to get it right the first few times, but eventually you'll be better at it. Also, if you really want to be a good driver, get rid of the fear. scared drivers are the worst.

• Should I practice with other cars?
      Im super afraid of hitting them and such :S

• Yes, you should practice in the city, in regular situations. Like when you go somewhere and decide to park your car, look for a spot that's big enough (don't choose the really small spots in the begining obviously) and maneuver your car. If you're careful enough, you won't hit them, just don't do sudden moves and don't let people make you anxious and you'll be fine, we've all been there. I am a very good driver and I've been there when I was new at it.

• The only way to get better at something is to just do it. One day you'll look back on this and laugh.

• This gave me so much hope. Thanks :)

• You're welcome and I'm sure you'll be just fine! Just watch out for OTHER drivers out there, we're all a little nuts!

• Me = Instantly great in an automatic car but initially very insecure in a manual.

ie: A date had to drive my first sports car, a Tigra, home from the dealership

• I was a very cautious driver from the very beginning and I still am.

• I felt the same way when I started driving. It got to the point where I just dreaded driving all the time. The only thing you can really do is practice practice practice! Once you get used to the car and know how to pay attention to all of your surroundings while driving, you'll feel much more at ease and you'll get better at parking. Again, it's aaalllll about practice!😊

• Do you like it now?

• I do! Sometimes it's nice to just take a drive to relax a little. You're by yourself, listening to music, seeing different things.

• No. Nobody is perfect

• I haven't driven for a while but I feel exactly the same way. I did get used to it and I expect that when I get a car again I'll have to get used to it again. But you don't need to be perfect!