What is your best life lesson memory?

What's the best life lesson that you experienced in life and what did you learn that life lesson

Most Helpful Guy

• Never take anything/anyone for granted.. Unfortunately I learnt this little too late, after my grandpa passed away. I didn't want to get up from my stupid comfy chair and my laptop when he was knocking on the wall (when it got bad for him that was his call if he needed anything), it was at 1-2am and I thought, Nah, I don't have to, he'll just think everyone is sleeping.. And I only did that same thing on his last 3 nights, I just sat in my room, enjoying my free-relax time infront of this screen, while he was knocking and probably just asking for a glass of water or a back rub (he loved getting massages from me) and I couldn't get my lazy ass up and get up from the fucking chair for him. The moment my parents told me that he passed away that was the first thing that was on my mind, how much of a shitty nephew I was to him on his last 3 nights.. I will never forgive myself for that and I'm ok with it, I deserve it :) Love and cherish the beautiful and awesome/amazing moments with your family, your parents, siblings and believe me when I say this, the ones that love you the most, your grandparents! (before it's too late) I'm not making the same mistake with my grandma or anyone else for that matter!

• I know how you feel. My grandmother was terminally sick and couldn't remember people anymore in her last few days. I was her favourite. I was heartbroken and couldn't get myself to call her. When she passed away I wish I had the courage to call and hear her voice one last time.

• @sassygirl13 So sorry for your loss.. shame on us though. It really does feel horrible, not being able to respond to their needs when they were at their worst.. And just because of some insignificant, silly and stupid thoughts in our head. So close, yet so far huh At least we know better now and we've learnt from our mistakes, and they shall never be repeated again!

• I'm sorry for your loss too. We didn't know any better at the time. Too bad we did learn the hard way but no more. I have the courage now and I'll let everyone know their worth 🌸

Most Helpful Girl

• Gaining too much weight. Lost 50lbs.
    Taught me to never take my health for granted and always stay fit and active.
    Ugh wasted so much of my life out of shape :(

What Guys Said 25

• I lost a fiance due to emotional immaturity and a growing jealousy/insecurity.

I didn't think I was a jealous type but it started with the thought even from the beginning that she was "too good for me". I didn't act jealous until, on a birthday party, a guy she considered a borderline stalker bought her a diamond necklace. I just got her a favorite Nintendo DS game.

After that I started feeling all kinds of insecurity and inadequacy. It wasn't due to a lack of trust but just incredible insecurity -- that feeling that I wasn't good enough swelling up more and more. I didn't talk about it, it came out in the form of petty arguments escalating to ridiculous levels. And I ultimately lost her when a guy was hitting on her in a bar and I provoked him into a fight, at which point she broke up with me and said she didn't feel like she even knew me at that point (she considered me a total pacifist and sweetheart).

After that I never became insecure or jealous again in future relationships. I never got the feeling that "she was too good for me", knowing that very feeling can fester and grow like a cancer and ultimately destroy relationships.

I also learned how to be emotionally mature, a kind of stoic who can defuse conflicts by seeking positive outcomes instead of fair outcomes. Since then, I never fought with subsequent girlfriends -- if there was some kind of conflict, I could end it within seconds.

• Caring for my dad, as he slowly deteriorated and gave up, after several debilitating strokes. He wasn't that OLD, really, at 60, when he had the first. Five years of struggling, trying to help, but unable to do much of anything than try to make him as comfortable as possible as he realized and gave up.
    A car accident, or heart attack would have been easier. Unexpected, maybe, but quick. Watching someone slowly die, over five years, and feeling helpless to do anything to fix it. Harsh lesson...

• When I was a young boy of six years or so, I went camping with my father and his friends and their kids. One night around the campfire, something happened and I ended up crying in my tent.

Now the camping party continues with much merriment and laughter, but I was positively crushed and crying in the tent.

And thats when I learned that the world doesn't stop for other people when you're sad, it only stops for you and only for how long you give that sadness power to do so.

• Was very suicidal and attempted suicide at 14. It was not that. It was the way my "family" reacted. As if this wasn't expected despite them making me feel like shit for the past year leading up to this.

I came out the year prior by saying "I might be bi" and they acted like I killed a man. Telling me things from "how and why" to "You're disgusting and disgust me. Thats nasty and you're going to hell" and even "Dont ever talk to me again until you figure out what is wrong with you". I was already being bullied and my "family" was all that kept me alive. Their words and reactions, disgusting glares when I went to visit against my will later than same year, crushed and destroyed the little bit of innocence I had left. The little bit of little girl left in me was killed.

Now, five years later, I grew from that shit and learned that family don't mean shit. It's the friends you make into family that matter. My friends kept me alive after that year. My best friend talked to me all the time to keep tabs and make sure I was okay. My new friends always chilled. I hung out more and felt happy. I also learned that if I am faking who I am to make other people happy, they don't deserve me and I should be who I am. I shouldn't have to pretend to be someone I'm not, making myself miserable, to make people who obviously care little to none about my mental wellbeing and personal happiness satisfied and less embarrassed to be near me.

So in all, learned to embrace and be comfortable with who I am and that blood don't mean shit when it comes to family.

• Never just let go of people who meant something to you. You may never notice when it's too late to reach out for them again. Time may heal wounds but time also dissipates friendships left unkept.

• To keep your freedom, avoid relationships. Love is wonderful, but, for it to work, you need to surrender much of your freedom. The key to being happy is to know yourself and then being free to follow up on that. If you know yourself, retain your freedom and avpid relationships. If you are not so sure, getting into a relationship and its removal of freedom will teach you who you are because you will come to regret things that you can no longer have.

• Hmm, my best life lessom has been that life doesn't give or owe you anything, you need to take it. Sitting there playing the worlds smallest violin never got anything done.

• Trusting everyone and being naive. I have been burned many times. I now think outside the box and have protected myself against crooked lawyers and people of the world and girlfriend

• I think the best lesson I have learnt from my own life experiences is "if I stop trying I stop succeeding".

When I compare my background and the challenges that come with it against my current circumstances, few people would have even given me a 1% chance of surviving, let alone succeeding academically and professionally.

My life has been a cocktail of trials and tribulations from birth through adolescence to manhood, the details of which I can't discuss for obvious reasons.

In one of my life trials some years ago, in the quietness of my deprived room I had this epiphany: "If I stop trying I stop succeeding". I quickly jotted it down on a scrap of paper.

That phrase has since become the mantra of how I approach goals and challenges in all aspects of my life. Failure to me is when you give up but if I continue move forward after a setback, that to me is success.

• Realizing that my life of drinking and drugs didn't really bring any real pleasure to my life was a big change for me. Helped me choose what friends I really needed, helped with work and now college and to be closer with my family.

• When my father was sick - My family and I cared for him that thought me a lot about myself.

• my life is full of lessons, but i'll share one. it is that "never depend on anyone too much, because in my worst and darkest times my shadow even leaves my side"

• Many people cheated with me. like i design one website for a person. and then he removed my credit from the site. and not paid me money. in many business poeple not paid me. so i learn always take money first from the customer.

2nd never talk with the other the bad things about another. like i share one bad thing about one person to another. and that person spread this thing to them. and they stop talk to me.

• What is a life lesson anyway?

• Bad times reveal true character.

• ' you are born alone... you die alone... life and how you live it relies wholly/solely on you...'

• In most cases the snake (s) is/are always closet to you. I had to learn that the hard way. Now, I've learned my lesson about who to and not to trust, who to respect and not respect, and who to be loyal and who not to be loyal to...

• Never break a sweet girls heart...

• Avoid prostitutes and online dating.

• -Never trust someone who says trust me
    -Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer

• The conclusion is that you have to learn on mistakes, BUT NOT YOURS!

• Never fully trust. Ever.

• I think I had one once, but I forgot.

• never trust arabs.

• hmmm. play world of warships yo. before the german battleship line comes out.

What Girls Said 6

• don't trust people to easily
    don't be too kind/soft towards people
    only pay attention to people who pay attention to you

• When I was heartbroken over my sick grandmother that I couldn't call her before she passed I realised I should let my loved one know how much they mean to me.

2nd one in my first job I learned to accept shit from no one. Fighting back for my rights made people respect me and stop taking me for granted.

• Hmmm I'll give 3 since they're pretty equal. One was getting arrested, I definitely don't break the law anymore haha. The other was being in an abusive relationship because now I know what signs to watch out for in future relationships. Another was birthing and caring for a litter of puppies, I definitely became more responsible and I learned how to let go of things better when I had to give them away, even though I still miss them.

• If you want to find out who you're real friends are, just disappear from life for a while your real friends will find you and say what the hell and/or where have you been?

• Even if life feels unbearable and things aren't going the way you want them to, it gets better. It might take a week, a month, a year, or more than that, but keep going.

• Don't fall down the stairs you can break your arm that way😊