Rich People vs Poor People : Why are wealthy people always so selfish?

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't take this question seriously when you link a Sam pepper video.

Most Helpful Guy

• Wealthy people don't understand that the people will have the power, as they should!

What Girls Said 8

• #generalisation670 [totally forgot where I'm up to but whatever]
    where is your hope in good people? and what kind of a conclusion is that to make? u can't possibly think ur aware of every good deed a wealthy person does to those who are less fortunate.

there are people who donate thousands of dollars to poorer nations in secret...

• maybe because the homeless man was given the box of pizza whereas the others bought it with their money. when someone does something out of kindness for you, you'll want to do something out of kindness for someone else.

he also was given an entire box which is a lot for one person whereas the others most likely ordered enough for themselves to eat.

• The better question is "Why do financially dependant people have such automatic expectations of people who have money"

• They aren't. Poor people are just jelly.

• This is a joke right?

• Because. Unfortunately they let that money go to their head. I'd rather be poor and loved than lonely and rich

• That's how they get rich and stay rich.

• Also, even charities know this. That's why they're so big on doing collections in poorer areas, like doing supermarket fundraising by packing bags or going door to door.

• How else did they amass their fortune?

What Guys Said 19

• Actually it's the poor who seem to be a lot more selfish, they always want thing handed to them for nothing return.

Rich people are frequently very generous, Mark Cuban donated a million dollars to help bolster security for LGBT events in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Condoleezza Rice donated almost all of her speaking fees to the Boys and Girls Club (I think it was the Boys and Girls Club), William Dietrich II donated $440 million to two Pittsburg area Universities right before he died.

I didn't watch the video, but seeing other comments here I wouldn't give some stranger my pizza either.

• That was a nice video, however I am not prone to giving to the homeless and I don't consider myself rich at all, as it is I'm struggling to make my own ends meet. My problem with giving to the homeless are numerous. I can appreciate that times are tough, I get that, however I didn't cause the homeless person to become homeless, secondly I don't take kindly to people begging for money, when there are shops just down the street from them hiring. There is work to be had, and yes it isn't easy to get out of a rut, but if you don't take the initiative to get out of that rut, than in the rut you shall stay, and I'm not going to contribute to the rut by giving you money you didn't earn. I have a job and I am grateful I have that job, however that job didn't just fall on me. I have had to work to get it and work to keep it. Nobody has just given me anything I didn't work for. Do I have no heart? Do I not understand? I do have a heart, and yes I do understand. However if you ever want to improve the situation you are in, you have to take action, you have to do SOMETHING, again there is work to be found, you just have to look for those jobs, just like everybody else. Lastly I have some experience working with the homeless, and you can't tell me that somebody who has been homeless for the past 15 years is just "down on their Luck" that degree of time would indicate to me a choice rather than just bad luck.

• Nice video, but there's a difference between asking for a slice from a dude who virtually didn't do anything to get it beyond accepting it (not being asked) vs a dude who paid for his with his own money. Also, relative wealth and relative poorness should be noted as well. And it begs to ask the question how they got poor and how the person for rich. And I think an experiment involves asking more than 5 people

• How were the people in the shop rich? Maybe they are also tight on cash?
    The people paid for a pizza then some random guy asks for a slice but the homeless people got given it and didn't pay for it so will be more willing to give it.

this is probably fake like most you tube social experiments.

• they are rich when you compare them to homeless

• so why does the question say rich v poor when it could be poor vs homeless.

• And what's the point of this? He was hungry? I noticed he had a box of cigarettes. What about buy food instead of cigarettes?

• They are what they are, and they will always be what they are. You can't really change the way they are anyway.

• Rich people are not always so selfish. I know rich people that are anything but selfish.

• it's just a video of a guy looking like a leach, and trying to sponge off others. My parents made 1.2 million last year (they're both physicians). They go and volunteer at various places that lack the most basic medical facilities where they put in countless hours every year to help others and get nothing in return. Stop generalizing people. You probably don't volunteer to make another life easier or better, but you still belittle those that do (that may also be rich). C'mon, dude...

• This is a very complicated question. One thing I want to note though is that the question is extremely generalized - plenty of wealthy people are very generous, think of foundations, scholarship funds, charities, etc. Likewise plenty of folks with lesser means ("Poor" is a loaded phrase) can be some of the most miser-like out there.

in my opinion, a lot of the drive of selfish versus generous really stems from their ethics and principles that underlie them. Some of it is the belief in the "American Dream" - in particular the part where one can come from nothing and become something solely through hard work and commitment. So, since they had to work so hard to get where they are, why should anybody else get a 'free ride?'

Another aspect is that some feel that the social net is strong enough, and through taxation they contribute enough, that they shouldn't be obligated to give more.

The other angle I can think of at the moment is that they could just be self-centered and cold... think of the "not my issue, not my problem" type of person.

My point is, it depends upon the person.

• No way in hell would I give pizza to someone in a restaurant asking for it. I'm involved in helping the homeless through my church, though.

• 1. That was not 60 seconds
    2. That did not change how I thought
    3. They bought that with their money, and they didn't have to give him shit. Those people in the shop might be hungry, too

• When you realize that rich people don't owe you shit, the world starts to make more sense.

Like, when the youth of today is intent on destroying every cultural value, don't expect it to be funded by the wealthy, when one is not interested in upholding values.

It's like tramp shitting on your doorstep, then telling you you're a cunt for not giving them money.

• Poor people are generally miserable lmao. Being wealthy is much more fun. Let the poverty stricken stay mirin.

• As someone who works for a premium service company and works with affluent people every day, it's a mixed bag like other groups of people. HOWEVER, rich people have been the kindest to me and given me the biggest tips a majority of the time.

• Woah woah woah not every wealthy person is selfish. >.>
    Generalisations... Generalisations Everywhere...

• You don't get rich by giving it all away

• There's plenty of selfish poor people. I should know, I'm one of those cunts.

• 0|1
  • If poor people got the money they would treat people like shit ( from an experience ) and of course not all of them
    And it's stupid to judge all the rich people and all the poor people that's offensive
    Abd el rahman ibn 2wf was very wealthy so is uthman ibn affan so as Solomon pbuh and I don't think they were selfish at all