Are 'safe spaces' stupid?

I think they are and technically go against freedom of speech

Most Helpful Guy

• I think Americans generally tend to overrate freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is important but it shouldn't trump other people's freedoms. My right to swing my arms ends at other people's noses. I know little about these safe spaces but I understand why they were created in the first place. There's just so many incredibly ignorant, intolerant haters out there who's only joy in life is to discriminate and hurt minorities. There are people out there who believe it is FUNNY that a lot of gay people commit suicide and they encourage others to bully gay people even more and thus increase the suicide rate. I don't think what that even has to do with freedom of speech. That's just people being assholes.

In my opinion, people should be able to say in a polite fashion "I like X" or "I don't like X". That's freedom of speech. You should be free to utter a qualified, personal opinion on a matter. If you just want to hurt and harm others by saying stuff like "I hope all gay people will eventually kill themselves" or "black people are the scum of the earth", then this should be tolerated. Instead, people should be fined for saying such stuff.
    Unfortunately, these kind of haters do NOT get punished for their hostilities and that's probably why people started founding these safe spaces in the first place.

Most Helpful Girl

• It makes me think of a 5 year old who's been through some traumatic experience and is doing some kinda therapy lol..."go to your safe happy place and think of butterflies and shut the world out"

What Guys Said 20

• What are these things? Being in Japan, I only read about them along with trigger warnings and respected speakers getting booed off a stage for saying something that disagrees with some of the audience's point of view.

The general impression (one of admitted naivety) I get is just a disgust at how incredibly soft and sensitive and immature society seems to have become.

• In my opinion it is ludacris to feel as an adult you need a safe space. That tells me that maturity has fled away from a person that says they need it and for sure I want nothing to do with this person what so ever

• I only have a vague idea what they are (after Google) I have no problem with them or free speech - You are also free in wanting to hear the free speech or not - If you are a engager or a debater, well fire away but if you prefer a smoother road why not enjoy a safe space - Let me give this analogy I am in the humour for a beer and a chat about current events, there are two bars in my town, one full of like minded people and one full of people who different views, I stand outside the two bars, do I want to stir things up or have safe discussion, it is a freedom of choice as much as speech, I don't deny either the right to speak, I just choose who I talk to depending on my mood.

• Virtually all SJW shit is stupid. They ARE against free speech. Just like policing things on Youtube and Twitter and labeling disagreeing opinions and response videos as attacks or hate speech and getting them banned or removed.

• you see on the one hand side there is freedom of speech and on the other hand side, there are fascists, racists, feminazis and other agressive movements slowly taking over... how can we ensure to have people treat each other in a rational, respectful way?

there´s a great lack of reason and respect and so many entiteled hatepreachers out there, i don´t even know how we should handle it. people abuse their right of freedom of speech to spread negativity and toxicity.

• Yep. Safe spaces are basically a place for whiny little kids who are afraid of reality.
    It's such a shame that majority of those kids are in college. The future of the country is in the hands of people that are afraid of reality... hahahah XD

• Glad this didn't exist when i was at school, we would have had a field day bullying the fuck out of people in a 'safe space' lol.

• My problem isn't the whole freedom of speech part, but that people feel SOOOOOO threatened by other's "wrong" opinions that they need a place they don't have to hear them.

• Yea they are, I mean if someone wants to create a small club and call it a safe space I don't really give a fuck, but when they want to police what people should be allowed to say in public spaces thats just retarded.

• Yes safe spaces are stupid.

• Lmao. Safe spaces are for people who can't control their own emotions.

• It's discriminatory
    White males are typically not allowed in some of these places.

• They are stupid and racist.

• What is a safe space and how stupid r they

• Yep
    I read about it a couple days days ago
    Sounds weird tbh :P

• I read the definition and it made me more confused.

Also, Warhammer Battle Sister as fuck!

• Yes, but I don'the mind them. Just let idiots be idiots.

• Yeahh very dumb

• No..

• Really stupid and makes absolutely no sense what so ever

What Girls Said 3