Can an overloading of an extension cord cause malfunction or damage to the equipment plugged in it?


1|0
3|7

Most Helpful Guy

  • depends on what you mean by "overloading".

    if you put too many consuming devices on it and thereby overloading it, it will just fry but not the consuming devices. they will just not get enough juice to run

    if you put too much current into the circuit and thereby overload the extension, there´s a very good chance, you also fuck up the consuming devices.

    1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

  • Yes, sometimes, and also Cause a Fuse to Blow, @Notyourdreamgirl.
    I nearly got Electrocuted the other night for Screwing up something with a Simple night light.
    Thank God the Circuits are still Working, the Light as well, and all my Maintenance man had to do was Push a Button to Fuse up so I got Electric again on the One side of my apartment.
    Good luck. xx

    0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

  • Most unlikely. The extension cord may get hot, or a fuse may blow, but there should be no damage to anything plugged in.

    0|0
    0|0
  • If the appliance isn't protected from overloading, then it will most likely fry the device. Before that can happen, your network must be without overloading protection, but that's unlikely.

    0|0
    0|0
  • It can in some cases due to the increased resistance and associated voltage drop of not using an extension with a thick enough guage.

    0|0
    0|0
  • no but it can set your house on fire.

    0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it can.

    0|0
    0|0
  • You risk a fire too.

    0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

  • It never happened to me though it did fry one of the outlets on the extension cord itself. The equipment wasn't harmed, though.

    0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

    0|0
    0|0
Loading...