Do you like yourself?

Like when you really think about it are you overall satisfied with yourself, even if there's things you need to work on?

Do you think you're a good person? Why or why not?

• Yes (Please Explain).
  • No (Please Explain).

Most Helpful Guy

• No, because I think deeply.

And if I ever said and claim that I am a "good" person then I would know that I'd be a complete liar and hypocrite and I because don't want to be either of those two, I NEVER EVER would admit that I am a "good" person. I would rather be honest with myself that I am NOT a "good" person.

I'm not satisfied with the way how everything in existence and this reality really is. I think deeply such as about being human and being a mere mortal made out of or specifically consisting of blood, flesh, and bone is something I never asked for in the first place nor would I ever had desired to become, after I eventually had became aware of what it is like to exist as such a being.

I think being or rather existing as something made out of flesh, blood, and bone really sucks and have no real advantage. No matter what we do we will still eventually die. It all seems completely futile and yet, we CAN still choose to continue to keep trying and trying to live as long as we could with whatever time we have remaining which is really not a whole lot.

All the odds are stacked against us to begin with. Well maybe for those really rather lucky exceptions that had really good amount of wealth and finances as well as in really good physical health and physical shape.

There are just way too many maintenance requirements in order to sustain a bio-organic form in order to keep on living and surviving. WAY TOO MANY Vulnerabilities.

And because "suffering" is essential to really having any sort of meaning to existence and living at least for a biological and organic existence and for this reality and existence.

Such an example of that is if I was never ever bored or never ever capable of feeling bored and since boredom is "suffering", then I would never ever really have any real actual incentive to ever actually do anything at all, and yet what ever I do eventually will become boring and repetitive anyway.

• Wow, your thinking is both dark and depressive while also being beautiful. I don't think those things are bad at all, I guess it's just a matter of perspective. All of those things including the vulnerabilities make life special and beautiful in my eyes. The flesh blood and bone we're made of makes life valuable to me.

• @Relentless_Hippie

I really don't believe in an afterlife however. When it's lights out, I know that it's lights out forever. Game Over, no extra lives, no re-winding or re-loading a save game.

Although I had looked into claims of unusual strange or even stuff people thought could be considered "paranormal", but even then I never experienced any of them or anything concrete for myself to actually believe in them so I am skeptical.

Because of my unhappiness of what I am, I always had thoughts about "well, what if there was a way to changed that into what I rather be consisting of or made up of". I know it sounds absurd to think that way. I always thought that if I was made up of some entirely different matter, such as primarily consisting of "nanomachines" or something that had little or no vulnerability and lasts indefinitely or almost near indefinitely then I wouldn't be unhappy anymore, but if that was ever possible, then I'd probably can't feel anything anymore either.

• Thanks for the MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the middle. In some ways I like to think I'm a good person, in other ways I think I'm a bad person, for example:

Ways in which I can be good:

- I always try to help people whenever I can (give advice, give change to the homeless if I have some to spare, try to comfort people when they need it etc.)
    - I try to be empathetic of others feelings
    - I try to do kind gestures sometimes even if they're little (make my mum a cup of tea, write my boyfriend a love letter about what I love about both his personality and looks, buy a friend or family member a small gift like chocolate etc.)
    - Be accepting and supporting of people who are different me
    - Be honest but try to be sensitive towards people at the same time
    - I try to work as hard as I can (unless I'm in a depressive state and lose all motivation)
    - I will be as loyal as possible to my boyfriend (e. g. I don't call/hang out with or get too close to other guys, I avoid flirting and try to keep all conversations platonic and make it known I have a boyfriend. The only way any of these would change would be if my boyfriend didn't also do the same with other girls)
    - I will give my boyfriend a lot of affection (mainly tons of cuddles), will not attempt to make him jealous or feel 2nd best unless he does this with me, want to look after him and try my best to do so.
    - Try to keep a secret as best I can if someone asks me too. I have been really tempted before with 2 or 3 of them but have stopped myself telling anyone.

Ways in which I am bad:

- I can be passive aggressive
    - I can be very irritable and short-tempered sometimes
    - I'm easily jealous
    - I like to get my own back on people (e. g. I try to be as loyal as possible to my boyfriend but if he doesn't tell another girl about me or I feel like he's flirting with her, I will not mention my boyfriend to a guy who is hitting on me, or if a friend is rude to me, I will be rude back).
    - I can be self-pitying
    - I can be attention seeking
    - Sometimes lazy if I can't be bothered to do something
    - Childishly sulk if I feel my boyfriend is not paying enough attention to me
    - Make my boyfriend promise on my life he is telling the truth if I think he is lying
    - Test my bf's loyalty
    - Can be selfish sometimes

There are more for both of these lists but I don't want to run out of space in the middle of putting them all.

What Guys Said 44

• Well , there are a number of things about me that could use improvement that's for sure ; but over all I am ok with me. I have an awesome wife that loves me and she knows she is loved in return. She and I have spent the last seven years caring for our elderly and disabled parents ( 3 of them ) her mom and both my mom and dad , at least up til the end of last month when my dad passed away. We are both very caring and giving people even to a fault at times. So all in all I can say it could be better , but then again I am aware it could easily be worse. I choose to not look at my glass as half full or half empty , it was full then I drank out of it.

• Well I think you're a wonderful person and it makes me happy to know you have a realistic view but also a positive one about yourself. That's what's important. I think you're great, and I'm certain your wife is too the way you talk about her. :)

• Awesome!

• @Bluemax thank you Sir

• I don't know. I wish I didn't have certain perspectives. I'm kind of an asshole. A self-absorbed asshole. Even if I try not to be. More or less, my main concern is that things are not good enough *for me*. And I don't blame myself for that. I blame society. I blame my parents. I blame existence. Everyone talks about "responsibility", but really that's just a bullshit technicality.

It's saying "Well, you can't do anything about it, so the only thing you can do is become better by blaming yourself." I really don't buy that shit. It's negatively looked at, because it's seen as this projection of responsibility. But it's not my responsibility. I was made who I am by society, by my parents.

I don't believe in free will. Or, whatever free will I believe in, is extremely rare. People think they are in control of their own actions, because they *think*. They have cognition. They make these conscious decisions, then follow up on them. Sometimes they fail. But it's like being in a car, right. You're driving the car. But what if it's an automated car? But you can *see* everything. You can do something, and something happens. So how could it not be in your control?

But, in actuality, it's all automated. If the automated car turns right, and you meant to turn left, you'll rationalize it like "Hmm. Why did I turn left when I wanted to turn right? Well, I guess I just fucked up." Then continue driving the car, thinking that you're in control. It's hard for people to understand, because they're sitting in that car and they can see outside the windshield.

But. Most of the deep beliefs and motivators are in the unconscious mind. We are not aware of our own motivations, our own beliefs. Even thought we *think* we are. So exactly how am I responsible for those motivations and beliefs that are hidden from me? How am I responsible for being programmed by society?

I'm just a genetic code which gets rewritten based on experiential data. My experiences are not in my control. My genes are not in my control. And I might think my conscious mind is in my control, but I don't think it is. It's just a reflection of the unconscious.

Are there things I would change about myself? Definitely. But, that doesn't change how I feel about myself. Sometimes I hate myself; sometimes I like myself. But, most of the time, I just want what is best for me. Do I like myself. I don't know. Hmm.

• Hm, I'm one of those people who believe in taking responsibility for your life. Trust me, I've been through some messed up stuff and I could let it turn me into a negative person but I choose not to. Our experiences shape us in some ways but it doesn't entirely create who we are. I choose to be better than my circumstances than to sit in them and feel unhappy. You've just got to work on your thinking. People are messed up yeah, but be better than the people who cause you hurt. I hope things work out for the best for you.

• Maybe there's still hope for you.. Invest in a good therapist or psychiatrist!! I really don't believe you can be fixed!! But you could still try 😁😜!!!

• @Errhh I'll keep that in mind.

• No! I can't stand myself. I feel I am useless and a failure in life every single day. :(

• I just feel like if I was a super hot blonde chick, with boobs, sexy legs and the most perfect sexy ass that is super tight, the perfect size, with great shape that filled out my super tight skinny jeans life would be so easy. I honestly feel that way. :(

• What would it take for you to feel valuable instead of worthless?

• I cannot retreat into another person, so here in me is where I make my stand.

I like who I am for the most part. As far as being a good man, wouldn't it be wiser to ask others if I am? If you asked Hitler that very same question, I would wager my life he would have answered "yes".

We aren't unbiased judges of ourselves.

• yes i like myself. but i have to say i'm harder on myself than others can be. with that said , i always try to treat others as i wish to be treated and thats with dignity and respect.
    as for if i think im a good person the view of myself is one sided so i go off of what others say about me and that people that know me say im a nice person. so i tend to beleave them.

• I really like this answer. It makes sense to be harder on yourself at times but that also shows you take a great responsibility in the things you do. You sound like a wonderful person. :)

• Thank you

• I like who I am when it comes to morals. I have a lot of empathy.

Professionally speaking, I wish I was less of a perfectionist. Nobody is perfect and it's okay to make mistakes. It's how we grow. I'm getting bigger at that.

• Depends on the day but overall I do not like myself. I feel no desire to work on anything as of today. Maybe that changes but I don't concern myself about it. Sarcasm is my craft so most people would label me a "Jerk" but I'm just a guy both good and bad.

• well I like myself because...

I want to stay happy
    I want help people as much as I can
    I am totally loyal to everyone I consider as close
    people like me instantly even if I have this "bitchy resting face". lol
    I take insults lightly with sarcasm...
    and I don't care what anyone thinks of me

• I don't think I'm a good person. I judge people too much. I pretend to like people when I don't. I'm fake and I'm a hypocrite because I hare people for doing some of the things I do.

• Well at least you're honest with yourself. Those are things that could always be improved, especially if they are the source of unhappiness in your life.

• Hell yeah I like myself. There's things I could change and I could go out more and work more on my future career but yes I like myself

• I like your thinking man! You sound awesome. :D

• Thank you. I'm not gonna lie days like today that I feel shitty for no reason bring me down but I hit up supportive people and I take a icy cold shower, water some plants and eat something I really like. But your mentality is as important as your looks for liking yourself

• Yup I truly like myself. Of course we all have flaws. There is always room for improvement.

• As much as the next person.

• I love me because I'm able to think, I am very talented, I'm reasonably good looking and I have a big dick.

• I'm fucking awesome!!!

• I didn't always, my fb profile pic was me with a paper bag on for like 2 years. After that, you can only get beaten down until you find the resolve to rise above. I rose above.

• A bit too much sometimes

• Absolutely.

• nope. don't like my looks, personality, how life has been so far

• Well that's okay. Life has it's ups and downs that's what makes it beautiful. I think what makes us wonderful people is how we handle both. I don't know what you're personality is like but if it makes you unhappy you could always work on those things. As far as looks go I can assure you you're very handsome.

• thanks, really appreciating you saying that.
      I'm trying to work on it but things like being shy, introverted, insecure, having social anxiety... you don't get easily rid of them. I can try to overcome it and hide from other people, but it's still there.

and looks... I like how I look on my current pic. or on some other I posted. but they are heavily cherry picked and don't show my body. I'm working on it but... urgh

but again, thanks

• I love myself

• Too busy for that assessment.

• I'm fat, lazy, I complain too much, and I hate everyone and everything.

• Yeah. I love myself above any other human.

• Yes, I'm like myself, but than I am pretty freaking awesome.

• no... im a c**t

• I got an F on calculus in college but hey, I'm pretty smart to be able to get here so... who the hell cares?

• I hate myself and wish I wasn't born. How about you?

• I honestly like who I am, may I ask why you feel the way you do? :\

• Lol I hope you're right!! It sounds like a nice way to think.

• Haha yeah, I do wish you the best though. Good luck on your journey! <3

• yeah im a work in preogress but getting there :)

• yer i do m8

• Yes, others like me as well

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 40

• I have to like myself and keep improving myself and not give up on myself and have faith in myself. I can only love others if I love and take care of myself. It's true, when I am not taking care of myself and I don't feel happy then I can't love others too well

• Well I can only be me so I have no other option but like myself:)) I'm not where I want to be yet (physically, mentally, intellectually) because I believe there is always room for improvement but it doesn't mean I dislike myself.

• There are things I think I could improve on, but I generally like myself. I like how I'm compassionate and caring, and how I handle certain situations with maturity that my peers don't.
    I used to not like myself at all, but I've really learned to love myself and have never felt better.

• Some days are better than others, but I can honestly say that I'm getting to a place where I love me. It's a work in progress, but I believe that image good person. I have a good heart which can sometimes leave me in a position to be mistreated, but even through all of that it remains the same.

• I do like myself... In fact, I am the only person I like in this world 😯!! 😂😂😁😛!!

Yup!! 😍me!!!

• That makes two of us :p

• @BeerFarts Nooo that's not fair!! πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽI am awesome and amazing!! But that's just fact!! No vanity in truth 😜!!

• Awesome, amazing, and *hot*

You forgot that last part, silly alien :(

• You may think I sound so full of myself but I like myself because I achieved quite a good bit of stuff in terms of education, travelling, and other things, and they are satisfying. There is no point in not liking self. If I dont like myself, how will I like others?

• I don't think you're full of anything. I think it's refreshing you're proud of who you are and your accomplishments.

• There is a difference between liking yourself and thinking you are a good person.

I think I'm a good person, but I do not like myself. I know myself too well.

• Honestly, no, not particularly

• Personality wise I think I'm a really good person. I really care about others and try to take care of them.
    Physically and independently I'm a bit of a wreck right now. Not ok at all with my body and I'm in a swing towards depression again.

• hmmm nah but that's because i have issues

• I won't be satisfied with myself until I get control over my bipolar because it's literally ruining my life

• I'm sorry to hear that but it's great you've got some goals set. That within itself is a positive trait.

• Yes, I do like myself because when I do deep thinking or just pondering on things I realize that my way of thinking is unique.

• I'm in tune with my flaws, honest with myself when it comes to them. I've tweaked the things I couldn't accept, and embraced the ones that make me the ridiculous person I am today. I don't know if I'm a good person, but I try very hard to practice mindfulness because I very much believe you get what you give.

• If i met someone like me i`d go total nutshell.

I don`t like my personality. I think i am "ok" otherwise. I`m not the "best" person sadly and i can openly admit that. My thoughts are different compared to others and i can be mean without my intention. I`m like a mini simon cowell and i honestly try my best to take everything serious instead of joking around.

• Yes ma'am I'm crazy but i love it!

• I guess I like myself, I could look better 😥

• Yes, I love being me. Of course I have my flaws and there are things I need to work on. I think I am good person for the most part.

• Love myself

• yeah, i accept the flaws that i can't change and work on the flaws that i can. overall, i <3 myself

• somewhat
    I have my good and bad moments

• generally, yes, but I'm still quite flawed in a number of ways.

• Yeah I'm fucking awesome.

• I hate myself.
    I've been told I'm strong, intelligent/bright/smart, funny, and I really try to be nice and I love helping people any way l can. But I tend to be over-sensitive. Whenever someone compliments me I don't believe it. Not that I think they're lying, I just think they don't know any better. In my deepest, darkest thoughts, I can be very judgmental. I give advice to others that I myself can't even follow, and I get easily annoyed with people.
    Damn, I didn't realize how shitty I am until I saw this question :/

• That's more than like..
    I love myself 💓

• No because I've been put down too many times by those who I trusted; doesn't if it was by family members, ex's, ex friends, etc. I need to rebuild myself up.

• That's good! Rebuilding is a good thing. You're at a point in your life where the most valuable of lessons will be learned. I know the pain is great while it's happening but self love is very important. I hope you're able to move forward and find peace. <3

• Yes I do

• (smiling) I like peoples offline "perception" of me more :P

• I do like myself. I think I'm a good person overall with innocent thoughts.

• Meh... I don't really like myself but I don't dislike myself either.

• not really

• More from Girls
    10