Moral and ethical values are deteriorating?

Do you agree with the observation that our moral and ethical values are declining rapidly? If so who is responsible?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. I'd blame the rejection of traditional morality wholesale in order to make social gains rather than making progress by attempting to adhere more closely to basic principles. Just for example, feminism offers a microsm of my point: Early feminist thinking was based in traditional morality, hoping to make advances based on the importance of woman to the family and of respecting and honoring both sexes, as abolitionist movements were based upon the truer application of long existing and developing values of justice and Liberty. This was good. Later feminist thought cast traditional morality as the problem, in the form of patriarchy. A few women thought they knew better and tried to pick and choose what they liked and didn't from thousands of years of principle, throwing the parts about gender and sexuality down the tube. Once one starts to pick and choose with morals rather than attempting to better imply them, they no longer have the same legitimacy. If one bit simply doesn't matter, why ought another to? Morality is a machine that needs all the parts to work properly. Once you take out a component you don't like rather than tuning the machine so it all works better, the whole thing's just so much junk.

Tradition itself is not the ultimate root of morality, but it's an indispensable link in the chain.

Most Helpful Girl

• We have an evolution to a selfish and egoistic society. Social aspects of life are often seen as a curse, because it demands energy (and money) you cannot spend to yourself. The added value of good friendship and social responsability is not taken into account. And yes the media and power makers like that because a divided population is easier to manage: Divide and rule

What Guys Said 18

• Moral and ethical values are definitely changing. Not sure if they are deteriorating as rapidly as we think. I think media and over exposure to everything is responsible

• Yes. The Enlightenment and all things 'progressive' are responsible for rebelling against every and any source of authority.

You cannot promote an anything-goes society while simultaneously expecting people to adhere to objective morality.

It is like when feminists glorify promiscuity and all forms of sexual deviancy yet draw the line at rape because of their fetish for 'consent.' If your entire platform is built upon crossing lines, why should anyone stop at your personal line?

• oh wow. Have you read Mencius Moldbug by any chance?

• lmao, well, I think he's despicable, but I think you'd like what he has to say a lot, especially with reagrds to being anti-Enlightenment.

unqualified-reservations. com

oh also the later work of Nick Land, who was a left accelerationist who turned neo-reactionary.

thedarkenlightenment. com/the-dark-enlightenment-by-nick-land/

• "For the hardcore neo-reactionaries, democracy is not merely doomed, it is doom itself. Fleeing it approaches an ultimate imperative. The subterranean current that propels such anti-politics is recognizably Hobbesian, a coherent dark enlightenment, devoid from its beginning of any Rousseauistic enthusiasm for popular expression. Predisposed, in any case, to perceive the politically awakened masses as a howling irrational mob, it conceives the dynamics of democratization as fundamentally degenerative: systematically consolidating and exacerbating private vices, resentments, and deficiencies until they reach the level of collective criminality and comprehensive social corruption. The democratic politician and the electorate are bound together by a circuit of reciprocal incitement, in which each side drives the other to ever more shameless extremities of hooting, prancing cannibalism, until the only alternative to shouting is being eaten."

• I believe that the decline is not limited to one thing but a culmination and instance of aggressive expansion into feminism as well as mediocrities pertaining to social interaction. These interactions such as social media have allowed people to express anything and everything they please bringing out some of the greatest as well as brightest but also the worst. If i were to pick a reason, put quite simply i would blame the way media advertises the raw human attraction and the clash of cultural values.

• Seeing how we are part of society, we have no one to blame but ourselves. But yes, as a country we are getting away from our values and that's why the country is in it's current state.

We're a land of laws and morals. You lose the morals and you lose the spirit of the law. That's where "zero tolerance" comes from. You don't want to think so you say it's out of your hands, because "that's the rule" right or wrong. That's why bullshit passes in court, because it was "legal" even tho it goes against the spirit of the law to begin with. The new policy should be you can't implement a new law, without removing 3 from the books.

• People aren't as isolated as they used to be, with the internet and air travel and globalization and such. So something that used to be unknown in a certain region now can be found at the fingertips.

But I don't know it they are deteriorating as much as changing. Segregation, the caste system, forced marriage... I don't think any of those things should be missed.

• The law exists to preserve aspects of morality such as not randomly killing other people. But bullshit like stoning women to death is being removed, so it is just the natural improvement of society.

• Yes this is why i dont date American women!

• The country moving to the left is to blame. These young folks just want to throw traditional values out the window.

• Nope we are getting better and more accepting.

• Not really , every generation has that feeling.
    I feel it's always been that case since eternity.
    They diminish and rise in their own way.

• I'm sorry what was society like 100 years ago

• In this society most of the people money minded & crime occurrence.. The people doesn't know their basic law etc...

• Yes. Marxism, feminism.

• They are.
    society is going into a state where people dont even know whats right and wrong anymore.

• yes it is, we are responsible for it ourselves.

• What am I, last generation's old people?

I do not.

• the best way is to undermine a girls confidence and destroy her self respect. My last girlfriend was a complete prude but I manipulated her skillfully into doing what I wanted her to sexually by making snide comments about her looks and her weight and generally treating her like shit. This one time she ran out of the house the first time I gave her surprise anal and wouldn't come in off the lawn and back into the house until I told her to come in and stop shouting because I didn't want my neighbours to see a crazy fat hooker on my lawn which she did and we had anal sex again. Eventually I dumped her after her eating disorder got out of control and she had to go to a clinic.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• If I was going to commit to saying that Our moral and ethical values are deteriorating, I'd have to concede that there is a coherent 'We', who at somepoint held consistent values in the first place. Actually, there was never really an 'Us' to begin with, civilization has always been an awkward collection of divided people, the civilizing project is the project of dividing people. Our world, the world of civilization, is constantly deterioriating, because civilization is the process of deterioration. But civilization, now having consumed everything and having no more to consume, turning inward, will deteriorate too far, and crumble to dust. This is the moment we long for; patiently waiting, century by century, for the snake to swallow its tail and disappear.

• I wouldn't say that moral/ethical values are deteriorating. Yes, people are a lot more open about their sexual desires, like with it being acknowledged that women have a libido of their own in the first place.

Does that mean that society is any less moral/ethical? No. If anything, perhaps less conservative. Not that I'd say there's anything wrong with women no longer being forced to marry or bare children to the man who their family decided was fit for marriage.

• I think they're mutating to adjust to this new times
    I think religion, some moral and ethical standards and traditions were created to control the masses
    In this era that's no longer needed, that's what the media is for
    the media "dictates" what's acceptable and what's not, how to act and dress, and the values.. the new "good"

• Yes, people are becoming more dumb.

• No it's not, they're just changing and for the better imho

• Hell no, it was alright to beat your wife in the eyes of the law in the past. Only thing that's lessening is the amount of clothes we wear and is that reallyyy a bad thing? 😏

• Lessening of clothes or total nudity is an cultural aspect. Yes, beating of wife is surely despicable. Is it only degraded value?

• I like the direction we're headed. I just wish we could retain family values along with it. It bothers me how I see kids disrespecting their parents.

• I agree. It is surely a matter to be worried about.