When is the last time you went car shopping?

New or pre-owned?

currently in process of car shopping to upgrade from my POS as soon as possible, since the check engine light has turned on and I don't want to sink that money into it.

I know I'm going to have a hell of a time, considering I still owe $3,000.00 on it and can only put about $1,200.00 down towards a new car.

But I desperately need one before winter.

To clarify: I NEED a new car for winter, I'm not buying one just because the check engine light is on.

Most Helpful Guy

• A few years ago when I was still a Kid. Why buy another car till you see why the check engine light is on, find a local auto parts store, they will scan your cars computer for error codes for free. Engine light means their is an error code in your cars computer, and finding out what that code is will give a better Idea of what's going on, even the simplest problem can cause the engine light.

• Because I need one for winter, I'm just rushing it BECAUSE the light is on. I'm not getting a new one just because the light is on

• Thanks for MHGO :D.

Most Helpful Girl

• In February I bought a new one.
    I hope you find a good one. Yay for you! New car!

• Thanks lovely! We aren't going until the second weekend of August but I'm getting a feel for what I might want :)

What Guys Said 19

• hehe...2 years (pre-owned)... wouldn't say it was the worst investment, i love the car but the MPG and maintenance is a bitch.

• last year i bought my 2nd car, I've owned 5 cars in the past, and believe me a check engine light issue is usually cheaper to fix than buying a new car, if the car is in good condition (no rust, dents etc) id recommend getting its OBD II computer scanned for free at an auto parts store, first to find out what it is. i have my own scanner so it helps a lot on my cars. most codes that come up are so simple to fix.

• About a month ago

• February 2010, new
    it was the car I'm currently driving, a Fiat Punto Evo Sport. First I used it together with my sister, now it's mine alone

• I bought my first car May of last year, it had about 15,000 miles on it. I miss not having a car note 😭

• If it's just because of the light you're an idiot. Take it to oreily's or auto zone and theyll tell you what's wrong with it. Also what bank is going to loan you money for a new car when you still haven't paid the loan out on the last one?

• It's not just because of the light, my car is shit in winter so I need a new one to make it to my job. Cya.

• I haven't traded in my redneck Chevy pickup with the confederate flag just yet. Got that at a swap meet 5 years back!

Truthfully, 5 years for me, but I do all my mechanical maintenance, so I rarely have issues other than dealing with rust.

• 😂😂😂😂

• I owe about $3k on it still I'll be trading it in and the remaining costs will be added to my loan on a new car. I have like $1200 for a down payment right now, by August I should have about $1800

• Makes sense. Still getting the check engine light checked out might help to see if you've got a serious issue that will rear it's ugly head before you trade it in and get little to nothing for it. If it's minor, the check engine light can be cleared with a scanner right before you drive in to trade it.

Just a suggestion.

• Last year I got my first car but if you want help send me the link of the car I'll have my homies who are car experts take a look make sure it's not shit

• what kind of car is it?
    the check engine light is generally caused by a sensor.
    Make friends with a man who knows about cars and see if he will diagnose it for you, then replace what is causing the issue.

• No I need a new car, period. I don't need to make friends with a guy who knows cars... my dad knows cars lmfao

• I just got my oil changed so nah

You have no idea what my dad does for a living lmao stop being an ass with your assumptions bro

• Well what does he do for a living?

• I've only ever done it online and I don't think I'd ever do it anywhere else.

• god ages.. i keep them forever... one is on 200,000 miles, one 81,000 miles

• dont u have warranty? and like 6-7 months ago

• I need a new car too. My check engine light is also on and it starts hard and stalls alot!

• I really need to go look at vehicles, I am driving a old trick that barely works.

• Last week just bought a new one

• Brabus. Not good enuf.

• 2 months ago.
    I stumbled upon a car that I really liked. It was 18 months old, had only 3K miles & unbelievably was built with the exact options I would have ordered.
    Too good to pass up.

• never done it before

• Last fall. Car collision required new vehicle.

What Girls Said 6

• I just looked at a few on Sunday.

• When I got my 2010 ford focus which was late 2009.

• Never. I figure I should get a license first.

• Never been car shopping but I like to look online for fun. Haha

• Literally never.

• I went a few months ago