Do you hate it when Americans say “Have A Nice Day”?

Oh man I cannot stand it. “Fuck off” is the first thing that comes to my mind, when someone tells me this phrase. I find it very fake, and whoever says it to me, I feel he/she's being ironic.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• lmao damn americans

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 27

• 3|2
  • It's called being polite.

• its not polite when its not sincere

• @redeyemindtricks Oh I see, that's why. Things have changed since then. Most people who were born from ~mid 80s and on learn English from a young age.

• Right.

Even then, there were always lots of tourists from the UK. I know those tourists weren't always the best guests -- esp when they were drunk -- so, honestly, I wouldn't blame the Greeks for *pretending* not to know English in some cases.
      But... I am VERY un-British looking, and I don't drink at all. So, that's not the reason, either.
      ::shrugs::

• If something that trivial bothers you, I feel bad for you. Have a nice day bro.

• Have a day.

• You really need to re-think this concept. Sometimes you can tell by the tone of the persons voice. But honestly... if someone tells you to "Have a nice day" just try to appreciate it.

• Have a nice day, anon.

• It's nighttime here. Ever thought about it?

• How could you be so insensitive rgb008? Lol

• @ihatethiswebsite I know right? So out of character lol

• Mind you, asker i find that mediterraneans n europeans are the least polite! In greeting people but not so if they want you to buy their things... Saying have a nice day adds an extra bit of politeness rather than saying nothing and giving a zombie stare and hating the shitty weather. 😜

• "Have a nice day" isn't usually insincere unless it's part of an argument, it's a form of politeness. They're not exactly saying it from the heart or really want you to have a nice day, they're simply giving you respect. Who doesn't like to be respected? Respect should be appreciated. Some people like to be nice, that's all.

• When you're working you kind of have to say that, what do you suggest? Have a fucking shitty day instead?

• Actually it seems more honest. Do you like hypocrisy?

• When I say "have a nice day" I actually mean it. Otherwise I dont say anything..

• I say it all the time. I also say take care and have a good one!!

cuz i mean it. It's a common courtesy. I want someone to have a good day.

stop being such a cynic ---.----

HAVE A GREAT DAY ANON!!! :p

• Have a nice day, sunshine 😂

• Lovely attitude.

• No, I have other things to be pissed about than someone wishing me a nice day..

• I do feel like it's overused. Like people can't think of another comment but it doesn't bother me. It's such a small thing to even think about

• Well excuse us for having manners and being polite lol

• Soooo people start to whine about other people being polite?

• No, you ungrateful son of a bitch. You're lucky anybody spends 3 seconds to tell you, a nobody, anything all. It's not insincere at all. Who are YOU to decide if they are insincere or not? It's called being nice.

• Why?

• Well... I gotta say that I say it a lot. Don't see anything wrong with it

• Do you mean it?

• 99% of the time I do lol the other 1% of the time I say it sarcastically enough the person I'm saying it to knows that I don't mean it. I always mean it unless the person is exceptionally rude.

• But why?

• Sounds like they're just being nice.

• They're just being friendly... not everyone is an asshole.

• Nope, i have no problem with it.

• Lmao you have to say that when its part of your job. Normally if someone says "have a nice day" to me I laugh because I know its been a terrible day. One day I will say "dont tell me what to do"

• Okay, just tell them to say "have a shitty day" to you instead! Problem solved😊

• Have a nice day, sweetie.

• No, wtf... why would I hate that?

What Guys Said 27

• No. I actually like it and was surprised to see that as a common thing when I arrived in America.
    It's always nice when a stranger tells you to have a nice day. I don't know why it causes that reaction on you, but it always makes me smile.

It's nice to see people being polite.

• I hate this hypocrisy actually. Most don't mean it.

• @Nukina Likewise. I hate it as well.

• I mean the "How Are you?"

• Is it that you're averse to having a nice day, or merely that in whatever festering hovel of a third-world country in which you reside, having a nice day is not an option? My sincere apologies should too much good will be extended your way. Why the anonymity?

• Every time I say it, I mean it. It is a way to end a conversation, and walk away, wishing them well. There is no sarcasm behind it, and no irony.
    The fact that you see fakeness and hidden intention behind the words speaks to YOUR frame of mind, not mine when I say it.

• I hope you have a bad day.

• I don't hat it, but you are right that it doesn't really have much meaning a lot of time. Its liek saying goodbye. It would be better to say something that affirms the conversation you've had... e. g. "we'll, good talking to you, enjoy the race this weekend.".

But I'll say this phrase at times because I'm not thinking... on auto pilot mentally and it just slips out. It sounds lame. Its nice and I intend it well, but it doesn't have much depth of connection to it.

But no, I don't hate it... that's too strong. you must be an artist or musician?

• This is what you call bitching over nothing.

• As an American I hate it and I even hate myself when I let 'Have a nice day' slip out.
    I'm trying to replace it with 'Have a nice wank.'

• If something that trivial actually bothers you to that degree then I really feel sorry for you. And yeah damn us for having manners and being polite, a lot of people are actually sincere when they say.

You know what I hate? when pricks like you just get up one day and find the most ridiculous things to be pissed off about and then make it our problem. Have a G'day jackwad.

• If they have to say it because of their job then don't blame them. If they are just saying it just to say it yeah... fuck off. If they are saying it because you seem to be in a bad mood, well maybe they are taking the piss out of your attitude but sometimes they mean it.

• I don't. It's just a normal and common wish. Many people say it even without thinking.

• damn you must make friends very easily.

• Have a nice day nerd

• Well, enjoy your dour euro-sophistication, I'll stick with sunshine and freedom. And I really do hope you'll still have a great day 🙂

• Freedom... another thing that annoys me when Americans say that. Freedom and freedom. You don't even know what it is, and you say it just in order to say it.

• It's really pathetic for a 18 year old BOY to believe in such sappy stuff like the so-called American-freedom.. put it you know where. Bye and have a day with lots of difficulties. Well I say what I feel. I don't hide behind "nice days".

• Well, I do genuinely hope you have a nice day. It's not just a farewell, some of us really want everyone to be able to be happy. But then again, I'm just a boy who's silly enough to believe in freedom.

• I'm always sincere when I say it.
    I want you to have a nice day motherfucker.
    And you're going to have a nice day whether you like it or not.

• Ok basement dweller whose never been out of his parents home. Its called being polite.

• Or where I live this shit's never used maybe? Not everyone here's from Murica.

• Break a leg.

No really...

• People are starving in the mean streets of the world and you are getting worked up over someone giving you a kind gesture with the intent of showing respect and decency. Yup it really grinds my gears.

• Is it bad to hate hypocrisy?

• Naw I'm not a fucking Isis clan leader

• i say this all the time (stereotypical Canadian) its a habit, yes, but i genuinely hope they have a nice day.

• There's a billion and one more suitable things to hate.

• You sound like a sensitive little pu$$. Grow up and get a life... Oh and have a nice day too

• says the anon question asker

• no, there is this thing called common decency

• I mean it, but if you're and ass I'll just as easily tell you to fuck off too.

• Have a nice day, Pube face. :)

• Its just polite. I've noticed as I've gotten older and have a job in an office that its basically a professional courtesy. Same thing with the phrase "how are you?", people start conversations like that all the time. I will agree with you that it sounds fake and that most people probably don't care, but in a professional setting it makes more sense than " f*ck off". Outside of a work setting, saying it to people you actually care about and want to have a nice day makes sense, if not a nice "goodbye" or "see ya" works as a conversation closer. I have fallen into the habit myself when working, but outside of that I rarely say it, it just feels like something you are obligated to say rather than being actually sincere. I don't know, I get your point and see where you're coming from, but I don't see this phrase going out of peoples vocabularies any time soon.

• Try spending some time in New York or Boston and see how many people say "Have a Nice Day" vs. the ones that flip you off with the middle finger while saying it.