Can there be anything that would either prove to you there is a god?

• No
  • Yes

Most Helpful Girl

• I was raised Christian though not like strict or anything, I just knew the basics. There have been times though where I have questioned it, and looked for some form of proof. So far, here's what I got:

The set of forces needed to create the beginning of the universe is actually the biblical definition of God: https://youtu.be/eQVm8RokoBA

There have been people, including atheists, that have had near death experiences and stories of heaven/some kind of hell, even atheists have changed their beliefs after such experiences.

Now I have read in the past that when you die, certain chemicals are released in the brain, which can make you have these sorts of fantasies,

HOWEVER,

Something that I have noticed, from all the people's stories I have heard about heaven: THEY ALL DESCRIBE IT THE SAME WAY - They say It's very vivid, colourful, more real and more colourful than anything you could imagine on earth, it is full of animals as well as people and no one looks old.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it was just the chemicals in peoples brains giving them hallucinations, wouldn't those hallucinations be different? Like heaven for one person is how I've just described, but heaven for another person has soft colours, everyone has angel wings and look the age they were when they died.

Why are people describing it the same all the time?

I remember when we were little, my brother mentioning he remembers being in heaven or some place and getting to choose who he wanted for his parents. I thought this was rubbish at first and just some dream he had or crap he was making up for attention to sound "special" or whatever..

But then a year or two ago I was watching videos about children who claimed to have past lives and some of them say the same thing - they got to choose their parents. Another thing some of them say is that if you're good, God gives you a ticket to come back.

Most Helpful Guy

• Thomas Aquinas' proofs alone convinced me that there is a monotheistic God. They do not prove Christianity or any particular religion, which I think is more a matter of history, but they do prove that the true religion must be one of the Abrahamic ones since they are monotheistic.

And no, Thomas Aquinas' arguments are NOT the same as William Paley's nor did he adhere to intelligent design. He never stated that 'everything that exists has a cause' nor did he merely make a case for 'deism at best' among other straw men that even intellectuals who should know better assume to be true.

Rather, his arguments are for theism, and rest upon the premises that EVEN IF the universe has NO CAUSE, the fact that cause exists within the universe to at least some extent is proof of a God who is present here and now. It is about metaphysical demonstration--not empirical observation--and rests upon many of the same thoughts that Aristotle had.

In fact, it was a rediscovery of Aristotle and Aquinas that led the famed atheist and intellectual Dr. Anthony Flew to adopt theism before death, because in his own words, he had never even studied their writings. They were never refuted or properly addressed by modern 'philosophers,' rather, they were merely forgotten.

What Girls Said 7

• Tangible, concrete evidence that is repeatable and testable to confirm the existence of said deity. I don't mean specific things such as 'miracles' which apparently proves a deity, it doesn't. Even if miracles somehow turned out to be true, all it would to is prove the existence of a previously unknown phenomena, whether it is linked to a God is a whole different question. Reason why I espouse this methodology is because previous 'evidence' once associated with proving the existence of a deity, can now be perfectly explained by natural phenomena (existence of human beings, lightning storms, etc).

Currently, our lack of origins concerning the origins of our universe doesn't warrant certainty on either side of the debate. Right now, even the notion that the universe is a mere computer simulation is fair game.

• hmm... one would think...

• What about metaphysical demonstration?

'Evidence' only applies to empirical phenomenon like the natural world but God by definition is supposed be beyond the world, therefore would be more so a matter of philosophy than science.

Hence where Thomas Aquinas makes his case for God. He appeals to nothing but metaphysical premises than inevitably lead to God.

• @JRICHARDS1996
      That’s the problem with God, tho. The notion of one is an unfalsifiable assertion at best. One may come up with thought experiments (like cause and effect, simply put) providing a convincing case, or vice verse, coming up with an objection (such as the paradox of omni everything), but none of these really prove God exists or doesn’t. There are answers for all of them, on both popular and ivory-tower philosophy level!

Also the idea of God is poorly defined. Is it a mind? Is it temporal? Why is God necessarily an entity that exists beyond this world? Philosophers don’t even agree on a unanimous meaning of God, aside from being the “creator of the universe”.

In short, the closest thing anyone can do to 'prove' god for now, is provide convincing arguments for God, nothing more than that.

• I'm a pretty firm atheist, but if more concrete information was ever released proving there is a God than the information saying there isn't, then I'd change my beliefs accordingly. It would be a bit more difficult to prove the Christian god to me though.

• such as what?

• I don't know, historical evidence probably. I saw a news headline earlier today that said we all shared the DNA of a "Y Chromosome Adam" and that really got me thinking. It didn't prove a god to me, but it definitely opened my mind a bit.

• There are many things I doubt in life, but even when I try to detach myself from religion I see the existence of A god as zn evidence

• Only if the dude can appear in front of me and do some legit God-like magic.

• I would need cold, hard evidence to change my beliefs.

• If he showed up in front of me

• Why the need to prove it to others? See that's what I dislike about it the most. People are entitled to believe in whatever they want.

• The question is not for others to prove it. Its if something can happen for you to believe it on your own.

• Still, I wouldn't believe it. Not for a God with face and a name.

What Guys Said 13

• Yea, there could, like appearing and doing stuff only a God (or gods) can do or should be able to do. I left my faith a long time ago, but i didn't leave my hope, I've been digging to see if there actually is one... or multiple, so far, nothing. I have come across the idea is that there is a higher power... and that higher power exists as a combination of all humans.

• Are you familiar with Thomas Aquinas' arguments? NOT the bastardized strawmen you hear about on atheist websites or the Young Earth Creationists, but his actual arguments per the Aristotelian teleological narrative.

He attempts to prove God not through empirical evidence or as an argument from ignorance, but through metaphysical demonstration. It follows from a set of premises which lead to the existence of God being inevitable, at least in his mind.

• @JRICHARDS1996 really? You should send me a link so i can check it out.
      for now, the only religion im trying to disprove is Christianity because its like the fakest religion... very easy to disprove, with the most ignorant followers too. maybe a good 78% hypocrisy rate?
      (why does the name Aquinas sound familiar)...

• I'm an atheist, but I'd accept any good evidence to the contrary. Why not? Atheism isn't a "belief" system, it's an un-belief system. Any proof that was more than "I read it in a *really* old book would do it.

As an example, Professor Beringer, a creationist, who was Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Würzburg "discovered" some stones in the shape of animals in 1725. He thought they were fossils, and because some of them also bore the name of God in Hebrew, said that they proved the "creation" by God.

In fact, he was the victim of a hoax, perpetrated on him by his colleagues ex-Jesuit J. Ignatz Roderick, Professor of Geography and Mathematics, and Johann Georg von Eckhart, privy counselor and university librarian.

Now, if those had been real, I'd accept divine creation, and thereby God.

• If he manifested in front of me right now, and were able to keep up with my routines for but a single day without giving up, then, he must be a God.

• As atheist, yes, of course.

If some divine being would exhibit some supernatural powers (such as being able to resurrect the dead, create planets, that sort of things) that can be recorded and observed, then I'd believe.

But so far some religious books are nothing but a fairy tale to me.

• I only accept Its Noodly Holyness, the Flying Spaghdtti Monster.
    RAmen.

• It would have to be totally amazing like parting the ocean or sea, not just some random miracle that could just happen naturally.

• Sure, someone would have to show a being exists that can create universes. Of course to show it's the god of a specific religion they'd have to show this being actually cared about the tenets of said religion.

• Yeah. If he showed himself and did god like things

• In this day and age? he doesn't have the ballz. he showed up earlier and they nailed his ass (literally)... that nigga ain't coming back.
      can't even flood the earth anymore, people have houses and shit, there will be hella Arks, some will just wait it out in the air, there are bunkers. He can't even send any of the plagues... what? locusts... we have bug spray lol... boils? medicine...
      Nothing... its really sad.

• I don't know
    I believe there is a higher power but indont really know anything about it
    I don't know my religious views are fucking nuts lol

• Literally god just being in front of me shaking my hand in any kind shape or form that is surreal to me would prove it.

And as in surreal I mean really f**king surreal.

• Of course there is, modern science tells us that the universe is expanding with greater objects receding at greater velocities for it to be means it must have had a point will objects began to recede its from that observation science now proposes the ideology of the "big bang". which in my opinion is baseless there can't be an effect without a cause which explains the existence of a God as the cause.. :)

• Yeah if god showed up in the sky with with thunderclouds making lighting all around him and a booming voice saying "I am god"

• becuz i said so