Do you tend to over think , under think or not think about things?

Example:. Someone just slammed the phone on you. You tell your s. o. they tell you that you are over reacting and that it could have been that customer service representatives first day at work. They go on a long story of how their first day of work was like.
I. e. Over thinking:. You think he is not empathetic and doesn't care about your feelings, you think he is taking the others side and sympathize with them and he doesn't even know them, and then you start to think about the millions of other times he has done this.
I. e. under thinking, yah he is right, you need to be more understanding of the customer service representative and it's your fault that they hung up on you and lied to you that they were going to build your fence in two weeks and three months later it's not built. Good bye $2,000. You lost it because you were evil and evil always treating the sales representative wrong so you deserve rude behavior. You need to get a grip on your anger problem and take responsibility for your bad misfortune. Everything is your fault.
Not thinking, this would be where you say I will pretend I didn't hear you say anything, and I will solve this problem by keep calling them to do what they promised
If you have any other comments feel free to explain

• I over think
  • I under think
  • I don't think about it

Most Helpful Guy

• depends on my mood.. sometimes i overthink the fuck out of stuff other times im just like meh next

Most Helpful Girl

• Why would your s o tell yo you are over reacting bc you mentioned what happened. they sound like an ass, and i dont think recognizing that is over thinking. its not the best example., bc peoples behavior can sometimes be inappropriate and we reevaluate things as a result. also telling someone they are over reacting is a way to put them in a defensive position. this can lead to negative thoughts. you're leaving out the dynamic here. it isn't just one person thinking, there's a reaction. the SO is passive aggressive.

• i need a better example. i dont think A is san example of over thinking i think its an example of a shitty interaction.

• I agree that my husband is passive aggressive and I will say that I don't have good examples. Over thinking I think is you dwell on it. Under think is you go with the flow or whatever people say, under think is you don't care or agree either way

What Guys Said 8

• It varies.

Sometimes I overthink, sometimes I underthink.

• I tend to overthink things when I have time on my hands and under-think things when I am rushed to make a decision.

I think that is pretty much typical.

• I overthink almost everything.

• If you over think, it's a failed attempt to think something through.

• i think over thinking is what other people call thinking something through, when THEY dont feel like thinking about it. people are usually told they are over thinking when they are simply thinking past the surface.

• @Azara I agree. But if you self confess that you are overthinking, then that is admission of a mistake. A failed attempt at thinking through.

But at least you made the effort to try, instead of using 'overthinking' as an excuse to never think.

• oh no i totally agree with you. i thought you meant something else.

actually i have that exact view of your original comment. i think I've said that before so it through me off :)

• I'm an overthinker for sure

• I overthink then supress my thoughts

• An over thinker.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 13

• Overthinking

• I overthink, hah. A LOT.

• Me too, I think I wish I could just not think

• Let's get started!

• Yes looks like a lot of people need it. We will be rich

• I used to overthink and tried to read too much into others' actions, back when I was 18-22 probably. After that I started noticing that I dont think over others' actions at all, and I dont care what you do, whether they are empathetic or jerks, or cynical. I simply dont care if they dont interfere with my work, or fun. If they do, I still dont think I just make them overthink about my actions. I must be a bad bitch in that sense. Lol.

Also, if i have time to make a decision, i overthink about it on every aspect and write scenarios before making the last call. If i have to hurry, i choose the one with less risk and less disutility.

• do you think you make better life choices now that you think less?

• @Azara I try to think in a way depending on how many options I have to make decision. SO if the decision is yes or no (let's say to go out with someone). I ask what happens if I go and what happens if I don't and that's it.
      But if I start thinking what happens if I go then I spill coffee on my pants, then he finds me so stupid, i think i should not go out with him etc. etc.. Before even making your decision , if you start writing a future story about something that has not even happened yet, then that's being overthinking.
      If I go out with that person. And after he dropping me at home, if I start worrying that he did not call me or text me the moment we are not together anymore... Then I start thinking he did not like me, no no he did not, I wore a really stupid blouse, I talked about stupid stuff... What if he tells everyone that I was slutty? What if he does that and this.. etc. Then it is being paranoid.

• @Azara (continue) If you made your decision of going out, and then you start thinking of your clothing, your shoes, and worrying about them being beautiful or not, or if he likes it or not, that is being worried for no reason.

• I overthink. Way too much.

• I overthink too xD

• I'm an overthinking and it's the worst!

• I OVERTHINK EVERYTHING.

• All those examples seem like overthinking to me. X)

• I think way too much lol

• I overthink to the point where it causes me grwat trouble in life. Don't you agree? @suitandtie

• I definitely overthink

• underthink

• Over think minor things and ignore/under think major things.