I'd like to take my dog to the dog park, but I'm worried she may scuffle with other dogs?

I have a 3yo 50lb beagle mix. She's friendly, but she can be rather nervous/insecure with other dogs. If another dog doesn't respect her boundaries (not necessarily being mean, but maybe just too much exuberance) she'll snap at them to ask for some space. And I once had an incident where she snapped at my friend's young dog, and the other dog responded by attacking her (not aggression luckily; I believe the other dog was just roughhousing). It was very rattling and I'd hate to have that happen again.

She can play very well with other dogs if they don't overwhelm her, but I'm worried if she snaps at another dog that the owner will view it as aggression and get mad at me.

Should I chance it or no? I'd love for her to get better socialized.

Most Helpful Guy

• keep her on a short leash. keep an eye out when other dogs come near and keep her close until they sniff each other out and there doesn't seem to be any aggression

• Keeping tension on the leash would likely stress her out and make her more likely to snap. Thanks though!

• well you kind of have to do it. most dogs respond well to this as long as it is understood that you are right there with her. so if you sooth her and constantly pet her while keeping the leash short she may be more stressed at first but will probably fairly quickly settle down a little. i mean she is going to be wired and slightly anxious just being around that many dogs anyway

• like someone else said try taking her at a less busy time
      or even try having her around more dogs one on one before going so she gets more and more socialized

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should! It'll be good for her to get more exposure to other animals. I'd just be super careful and pay attention to her and how she seems to be reacting to things. If it seems too much then you should leave, introduce it slowly and she'll get more used to it.

What Guys Said 2

• Take her she needs her freedom

• Put muzzle on her... It's not cruel. Just stops her from biting other dogs and gives you opportunity to see how she reacts. Don't deprive your dog of socialisation because of that. Its not fair.

• I'm not worried about her actually attacking another dog... in order for her to hurt another dog, they would have to attack her first.

I'm just worried a muzzle would signal to other owners that my dog is aggressive when she's really not..

• Dogs do that in the park haha, that's why they are there.

Take her in and let her fun with the muzzle on, tell other people standing around not to be worried she's just snappy when she plays and out of respect for others you out a muzzle on her just incase.

Or be like me and not care about the assumption of other people. You know you're just being safe.

What Girls Said 2

• Don't chance it and if you do keep it on a leash and go when it's less busy

• No. Take her to day care and let her socialize under supervised people