Did your parents/grandparents/great-grandparents etc fight in the great World War II?

If so got any interesting stories to share?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't know

Most Helpful Girl

• My grandpa on my mothers side was a medic on the front lines. My family once saw him in a world war 2 documentary, holding an IV, it absolutely was him no question about it. As well as being a medic, he was a Cold War spy. He got generals, commanders, even Josef Stalin himself passed drunk and then would steal information. My mom still has a bracelet he would wear that would hold a cyanide pill that he would take if he was ever caught. Luckily he was never caught. Unfortunately he died of cancer at 32 and I never met him. I only know about him through pictures and stories.

My great grandparents on my fathers side left The Netherlands in 1945 when the Dutch Famine, brought on by hitler was over.

Most Helpful Guy

• My one grandfather was in the Royal Navy, driving landing craft. He took part in the fateful Dieppe Raid and was later wounded and left for dead when the boat got hit during operations in the Mediterranean.

www.forposterityssake.ca/.../LCI299-000.jpg

My other grandfather was an officer in the Polish army and narrowly escaped the Katyn Massacre. He fled across Europe to Britain.

(no, not sharing any pictures of this :( )

My grandmother worked in factories building aircraft engines for Rolls-Royce. Sometimes these were underground (they had them in London Underground tunnels that had been completed but not opened for service). One night after a very long shift, she went home and fell deeply asleep. When she woke up the next morning, the entire street had been leveled by an air raid. She'd slept through it.

www.ianvisits.co.uk/.../i00007ix.jpg

My other grandmother was in the WRAF, and drove the pilots out to their planes when they went on missions. She taught me that the Hurricane was a better plane than the Spitfire.

admin.hornby.com/.../ImageG6.jpg

What Girls Said 25

• Yeah my grandfather (on dad's side). I don't know much about my mom's but I know my dad's father drove in a jeep from the front lines to like the base or whatever back and forth. It was WWII and I know he fought in France. I think it was called D day or something? I need to brush up on history :S. I've got his dog tags though and he brought back a bunch of stuff (one of them a German gun, I think). Eventually he went home because his jeep got hit or something near it and he got a bunch of shrapnel in him / got shot. I think he may have gone back after or that was may have been what ended his military career.

• I have absolutely no idea :P I think that my great grandmother worked in one of the factories making weapons.

• I don't think so, my grandparents were humble farm owners for a lot of their lives. I think the only relative I know of that's been in some kind of war is my dad, he was in the gulf war.

• My great Grandfather died during WWII :[ My great-grandma hasn't re-married and went on ONE date [[about 3 years ago]] since his death.

She still wears her wedding ring. <3

That's all I know because she tears up when you ask her about it.

• Yes, my mom's parents both did. They passed away when I was young, so I wasn't able to ask them about it.

• I simply don't know.

• Yep, my great granddad had his leg nearly blown off.

• My Grandma's brother was on a B52 (?) bomber. He was on his last trip before being able to come home. The plane crashed and everyone died 😢

• yeah both my grandpas did :/

• I think my grandfather and my grandma's brother did... they were also stationed in Japan..

• No they wouldn't of.

• Not that I know of, but a few uncles died in the world wars.

• No, they did not. None of those folks served.

• My grandma's brother was in the Navy and died when his ship USS Mount Hood exploded. They never found his body and his name is on the Tablets of the Missing at the Manila American Cemetery in the Philippines.

• My grandpa did and was stationed in Japan.

• Nope. They fled Europe from hitler.

• Nope haha

• My great grandpas fought on the side of The Soviet Union

• Great grandpa

• I don't know, I know my wife's relatives did, but mine, no idea.

• My nonno was in the Red Cross during WWII. Everyone else was too young to be involved.

• No, they were in the Caribbean.

• Nope. They didn't.
    Both my grandfathers were Professors.

• Not fight directly in the war but my great grandfather was a spy during the war and after. Only found out the truth about his job and life when he was on his death bed... was really fucked up actually.

• My grandfather did and he was captured :(

What Guys Said 20

• Yup my great uncle fought in WW2 in many of the major engagements, he's still alive today.

I also had a friend who was also my fathers friend but he served in WW2 from start to finish, he was in the airborne, fought in every major battle just about, even stormed the beaches of Omaha, single handily took out a machine gun nest. And even parachuted into a Nazi ambush where he and his unit parachuted into a German town where an entire unit of Germany's elite SS was stationed and laying in wait.

Then I also had a relative who fought in WW1 in the famed rainbow division not only that but he was part of the legendary lost battalion.

• Yes. My maternal grandfather served in the US Army Air Corps (what we know today as the Air Force). He was a radio operator on a bomber. He was with the 25th Bomber Wing, though they were more infamously known as the Jolly Rogers.

My mom said he never talked much about it. Even so, we left Chicago when I was very young. He got very sick after that (had one or two strokes), so I never really got to hear him say anything about it. He did show me some pictures once though.

• My great-granddad was amongst the very last German soldiers to be pulled out of Stalingrad before the Soviets did completely encycle the city. If I remember correctly, he was later captured by Americans (?) in the Ardennes.

The older brothers of another great-granddad where conscripted to serve with the reserves of the SS garde cavalry or something like that. They never saw action though.

I also know about one or two distant relatives who fought for the Polish Army first, and were later serving with the Polish Independent Parachute Brigade which was part of the British Army.

• Yes all of my great-grandparents had some sort of position in the Soviet army.
    One of my great-grandfathers was in the infantry and took part in the liberation of Berlin as well as the invasion of Japan.
    Another one of my great-grandfathers was in a tank battalion he took part in the liberation of Ukraine.
    My great-grandmother was a nurse and met the second mentioned great-grandfather when he was injured after being shot by a German soldier.

These are just the ones I know.
    I had many cousins (not sure what the right word is) who fought in the war many of them died.

• One in Africa and Italy, he got shrapnel in his leg and got shot in the chest, he told me the doctor said it would have killed him, but it hit his crucifix necklace first. The bullet missed his heart by millimeters.
    Another in Europe, I'm not exactly sure where though, he was a military engineer though. They both wanted to be pilots.

• My grandmas dad which would be my great grandfather served in World War 1. I have a great uncle who was in WW2 I have no stories tho. People who served in the war do not usually share the stories.

• They ied in WW2

• My mother's father fought in the Latvian legion on thr German side during WW

• Yep.. My grandfather was a memeber of USAFFE. My grand uncle too , still alive. He's over there in US. I saw him on Youtube video, on news. He was wearing his veteran hat.

• I had a great granddad who was an MP for the British in Africa in WWII, and and a great GREAT granddad (also English) who bought it at Gallipoli with the Aussies.

• Oh I also had another great granddad who was allegedly in the war, though I've heard some dubious stuff on this. The grandfather I have that I'm very close to also fought in the Malayan Emergency against commie Malayans in the 50's, though he was only a signalman and didn't see much fighting.

• Granddad was in Africa or somewhere around there in WWI, that's all I know. Wouldn't surprise me if one of my uncles was in WWII but my parents and siblings have always been distant from the wider family, as have I.

• One of grandmas was a little girl during Leningrad's blockade. Managed to survive and didn't like talking about blockade.
    One of grandpas made it to the Berlin, where he got injured.

• Yes, my great grandfather on my mothers side fought in the Pacific theater. He fought in the Battle of Okinawa.

• I highly doubt that my great grand parents fought in the wars since they're of the Spanish descent or natives. But then again, I don't know much about my family tree. I need to do the ancestry to figure out my family roots

• I believe my great-grandfather did.

• Nope

• Both my great uncles were stationed in Italy. They never saw combat.

• all I know is my grandfather was forcefully taken to the camp... but he escaped

• I dunno.

• Yes. Beyond that soldiers don't talk much about it. Maybe a funny story, that's about it.