Will people ever stop seeing race?

I feel like so many people are hung up over race. I don't believe some of the issues have anything to do with race and yet they bring that up. I'm not white, I am a minority.

Do do you think one day everyone will be able to not focus on race so much and see just people for what they are?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not unless all races get mixed together somehow, I mean there would have to literally be something wrong with your brain if you didn't see race. The problem isn't that people see race, the problem is that people are prejudiced based on race. That's what racism means.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not unless every one becomes blind

What Guys Said 17

• There is no good reason to stop seeing race. Race is part of who we are.
    It is wrong to JUDGE SOMEONE solely based on their race, or to deem someone as worth less, inherently, or worth more, inherently, because of their race.

But it is not wrong, in any way, to not see and acknowledge race.

• I don't think human nature would allow it - If you took race or religion etc out of it humankind would find something else to fight about - Blue versus Brown eyes or something - I despair of it sometimes to put it frankly.

• I agree with you about this. I was really hoping that Barack Obama's being elected would mean better relations between the races, and people would quit being so obsessed with it. But it's gone the other direction. People are more obsessed with race than ever. That's not what Dr. King stood for. Even here on GAG, you see all these questions about: "Why doesn't such and such race date such and such?" And the Politically Correct Social Justice Warrior movements seek to divide us all up into "identity groups" which just perpetuates a constant sense of grievance and tension. I just wish people would chill and judge people on the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

• we will always see race. the hope is that we can see race but not infer any judgment about a person based on their race. that we can see all races as equal, beautiful without prejudice

• Well things have shifted towards "blaming White people". People should realize "minorities" can be racist too.

Yes I know that sounds like a common sense statement but there's a lot of people in the Black lives matter movement, and others that literally believe only Whites can be racist.

Now that illogical mindset basically divides the races more, yet hardly anyone is calling those people out.

• Only when people of other races are around each other more, and region is gone.

• No. Classification is how we work.

• I hate it when people act like 'seeing race' is a terrible thing.

It's like asking when people will stop seeing relatives as family. Just because I put my family first, doesn't mean I hate people who aren't related to me. But that is what racism is. So I guess I'm a massive racist.

• No, Race is race... it's history, science... it labels "who you are a part of", essentially. You can't get rid of that unless you want us all to look the same and even then we are still a RACE, the HUMAN race. lol So no people will not stop seeing race OP.

• You're missing my point. Race is beyond the surface skin level...

• No, not at all, I see your point quite clearly which is why I decided to end it on a (no people will not stop seeing "race" ) my point still stands. We are humans, we label each other, we catagorize for a reason/purpose... I wasn't speaking just on the "surface" level, you kind of looked at it that way and if not well, sorry. I guess I didn't explain myself as much as I should have eh. So please feel free to explain OP ^^ I like this.

• Nope, but on the off chance they do humans will find something else to be discriminative about to replace racism.

• Race is important because genetic heritage influences innate behavior.

• Race doesn't exist. Our dna is a modifcation of an alien spice machine made in a time warp that was handed down to us by the Alchemist in the 2nd century and ever since then, black people came to be.

• Well unfortunately where I live in California (city of Bakersfield) 99% of the white people here hate mexicans and blacks (I'm Mexicanmixed with Japanese) I'll leave that up to you on weather or not the racism will end.

• When they get off the internet.

• I think so, but only when intermarriage/mixed kids obliterate the boundaries. I think the anglos and the Saxons and the normans get along pretty well now in England. Same idea.

We will still see people with different skin tones, but that's different than viewing them as categories.

• I know, its so tiresome. Its always bout race race race.

• Not where I live.

What Girls Said 5

• I doubt it. Racism will always exist. It might get less and less as time goes on, but I do not believe it will ever truly go away. I see people as who they are, but unfortunately many people do not think the same way I do.

• It will decline but never disappear because bigotry is a powerful weapon to justify willful ignorance.

• maybe. it's not always a problem.

• As long as there are stupid people on the planet, stupid things will happen.
    those who are racist

• Everybody should notice race, noticing is not the issue.
    We all have different cultures and different backgrounds, and that's a beautiful thing. By not seeing race, we're all exactly the same with none of the differences that make the world beautiful. I am fortunate to live in an extremely diverse area, so diverse most kids grow up at least knowing a couple of words in the languages around them.
    The different foods, different colours, different names, different home life, different traditions... all of it, it's beautiful and by not seeing race anymore, we stop seeing that.

What needs to happen is that we can still see race, but we can embrace our differences, stop being scared of each other, stop only hanging out with one race religion or nationality, get to know other people, mix our cultures and learn from each other.