Anyone know anything about introducing a new cat?

A kitten (rough estimate 8 weeks old) showed up in my horse barn about two days ago.

Now the only question is... we have two house pets currently. A 10 year old Australian Shepherd who is SUPER nice and very good with all other animals no matter the species. Not worried about him whatsoever.

Then there's Jag. Our six year old cat. We've had him since he was a kitten and he is very much a stereotypical cat. He's aloof and likes to lay around. He's also quasi-territorial, like a lot of cats. He's fixed and declawed and up to date on shots/flee medication.

He's also a very large cat as far as cats go. He's a good 20 lbs and isn't overweight due to his bone structure. We originally had two cats - both of which were brought in at the same time from the same shelter. But unfortunately the other cat died a few years ago due to a medical condition (unforeseen intestinal rupture while we weren't home). And Jag has been the only cat for about 5 years.

I'll be taking the kitten to the vet tomorrow for shots and to set up appointments for declawing and spaying. The kitten has to stay in the barn until it has its shots and is declawed/spayed. That's the rule of the parents.

But after that happens... how do I go about introducing them so that Jag doesn't kill the kitten? The kitten is female and I read that it goes better when you introduce a kitten to a cat rather than a cat to a cat and it goes better when you introduce a female to a male than two members of the same sex.

Was thinking about keeping the kitten in my room for the first bit and letting Jag have the rest of the house and then introducing them with the kitten in the cat carrier and Jag outside and then introducing them in person but not sure.

Pictures of the animals!
The kitten, when standing, would probably come up to the point where the brown meets the white on Duke's leg. :P

Just FYI - in the barn the kitten has food and access to water via the horses' automatic waters. The kitten also has hay to sleep in and the barn is dry and warm. The kitten is able to eat solids so we've been giving it kitten grade dry food.

Also, the kitten appears to be in good health. No ear mites or signs of illness and looks/feels to be a healthy weight.

Most Helpful Guy

• oh my.. what a cute cute cat

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh my god. Why do you need to declaw it? That's like cutting off all the first knuckles of your fingers! You can teach it not to scratch.

This guy is like the Cat Whisperer and he has a really good method for introducing cats to each other jacksongalaxy.com/.../

And introducing a new cat to a dog jacksongalaxy.com/.../

• Because we declaw our cats. We have leather furniture and no desire to have our furniture and limbs shredded.

• It's just so sad. Imagine if you had to try live missing your top knuckles :(

• People do that quite frequently. Different strokes for different folks.

What Guys Said 2

• Keep it short and sweet, and spare the details. Kind of like how you did here in a masterfully succinct fashion.

• You probably just have to keep the kitten around your older cat with enough time to get used to. He'll probably hiss and growl but eventually, it'll slowly die down to the point of him just fighting over things like "this is MY bed" lol

What Girls Said 1

• Just let the kitten in a room closed for a week. Let the other car smell it under the door, get used to the smell. Then take it out and give food to each, put them near and let them feel they are safe when eating. And eventually in two weeks they will be 2 pussies licking each other. That's my do.