Is being a stay at home parent a full time job?

In my opinion, no it is not a job. I feel like taking care of your children is your responsibility. By no means am I saying that its easy to be a parent, breadwinner or no. I would say it is definatly hard to do when the child is young, However i feel like being a stay at home mom/dad is nothing close to a fulltime job. But what do you all think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I very much disagree. My girlfriend babysits some children as a part-time college job and it's FREAKING tough. I've hardly ever seen her as exhausted as when she comes home at 11p. m. from a long day of babysitting. Do you have children? Being a stay-at-home parent is more than just "oh, I'm gonna read some stories to my children" ooooooh no madam. You are CONSTANTLY under stress. For example she has to cook lunch for the two kids and of course she can't just eat with them like adults eat because they'll be fighting over the pasta or throwing around with stuff and whatnot. So at the end of the meal, my girlfriend has usually eaten nothing or almost nothing because she was so focused on the kids. Next, she has to clean up everything. But of course the kids don't like that and they scream "play with us! We want to play! You're stupid, why do you not play!" So she has to explain them that cleaning up is also important.
    Or another example: the younger of the two kids she babysits is 4 and thus right in the middle of her stubbornness-phase. So sometimes the girl lies down on the floor in the middle of a crowded supermarket and starts screaming and kicking with her feet and beating with her bands and goes totally bazooka. Of course that makes everyone else stare at you with that look on their faces "c'mon, make her quiet, what are you waiting for?" One time the girl even got one of her anger attacks in the middle of a busy crosswalk and my girlfriend (who is petite herself) had to carry the kid across the street, while having her face beaten by the little girl.

There are so many difficult things about children that most adults who don't have kids don't even know. For example my girlfriend has to walk the older of her babysitting kids to her ballet classes. But she's late because the younger one was making troubles at home. So now they have to hurry. Does the child want to hurry? Of course not. There's snails on the side of the street and they're soooo interesting. Oh there's a funny looking rock. Oh and a branch of a tree she wants to drag along! Once they get to the ballet school, they're late and who gets yelled at? Of course my girlfriend.
    Having children means being constantly under pressure and stress. Both emotional and physical. My girlfriend has a step counter on her Iphone and she does 15,000 steps on average per day. I am also a Uni student but without a job and I don't even get close to that. Having children means that you never get to relax for

• a minute. Even if the children aren't around, there's always tons of stuff to do. Do you live on your own? Do you KNOW how much stuff there is to do? I could get up right now and work for the whole day doing house chores and there would still be more to do. There's so many things I can think of that should be done.

You say that stay-at-home parents don't have tight schedules? Of course they do! You have to get up early, make breakfast, cook lunch when the kids come home from kindergarten or school, get them ready for school again etc. etc.

My dad on the other hand works as an IT engineer in a large company. He can come and go whenever he wants to. As long as he gets his monthly stuff done, he doesn't even need to show up for work. I don't know how this can possibly compare to raising children. Plus, mind you, my dad gets 7 weeks of paid vacation a year. When you're a stay-at-home parent, even Christmas and Easter are normal work days because the kids and house chores don't just go aw

• 👏👏👏👏you have opened my eyes. That does sound pretty tough. I guess I was wrong. Now if only I can delete this post to avoid all the death threats I'm expecting to. receive from the angry stay at home parents lol

• To be fair though - while I agree with the general gist of what you are saying it sounds like she lacks a sense of authority and/or the kids are not really parented to begin with.

My aunt used to have a home-kita for 1-5 years old for parents who wanted a smaller, more personal childcare before school starts and I never experienced the eating being that difficult.

Most Helpful Girl

• You don't want to be a stay at home parent! I am one and I am ready to go to work. Only two more years!!!
    1. Most important thing is that you teach your children love, don't yell at them, empathize and understand them and help them figure life out. I read a lot of self help how to for kids
    2. Cooking, cleaning and laundry
    3. Train them to sleep on schedule, and potty training
    4. Play dates, behavior monitoring
    5. Playing referee for the rest of your life, I tried a book called siblings with out rivalries
    6. While the younger one naps and the older one is on quiet time, I clean the bathrooms, garage, do the laundry and so on
    7. I do all the finances, bills, investment, mutual funds and IRAs.
    8. I do all the Clothing and grocery shopping
    9. I am on top of the car and the house. Ac doesn't work? I am on it. Leaking roof? I am on it.
    10. I am on top of all the family activities for the weekend and our vacation. Basically I do everything but work. I will be doing everything and work in two years but I am looking forward to it because I won't be dealing with the kids for a few hours and they drain me!!! I am stressed out like I have never been before.

What Guys Said 17

• There is always something to do. Usually more than enough to stay busy full time. When it became common for both people to work jobs, they started hiring out more work to other people, work that they used to do themselves. It led to more dependence, not less.

In the late 70s and early 80s when it first became common (in the US) for both people to have jobs, there was a lot of discussion about whether it was worth it or not. I don't mean social issues, I mean strictly financial issues. Either they got off work, and still had a ton of stuff to do, and never got caught up, or they hired it out and spent a large portion of the money they gained from the second income. In other words, serious diminishing returns for that second income.

To run a household, and to truly keep it up, is a heck of a lot of work. Even without kids it's a lot of work.

But now? Go out to eat instead of cooking. Or heat up frozen food in the microwave. Put the kids in daycare. Buy clothes instead of sewing. Throw things away instead of fixing them. Take the car to a mechanic instead of doing it yourself. Hire a landscaper instead of doing it yourself.

Modern lifestyle is very hectic compared to what it was 50 years ago. It's more than just a parent staying at home to take care of kids. It's a complete change in lifestyle. It's about a hectic life and chasing money, compared to a more simple life.

Being a stay at home parent is much like any other job working at home. It requires self discipline. You can be lazy and get nothing done. Or you can actually get the work done. If you are motivated to get things done, then yes, it can easily be a full time job.

But if you have it both ways, if one parent stays home, but you still go out to eat, still hire people to do things you can do yourself, still throw things away instead of fixing them etc etc - then maybe they won't keep very busy. It should be a whole lifestyle change, not just a half measure.

• I think kind of "whatever". "Job" or not, just a label. It definitely does require hard work, and of a kind you can't necessarily escape from at the end of the day.

I do think it's a bit dangerous to glorify the idea of a stay-at-home parent, because it could deprive a lot of young women of their ambitions. While it's an admirable thing to do, I have seen women saying shit like, "Being a mother is the most difficult job in the world" followed by hearty applause.

To me it would be a terrible shame to see a daughter who might have otherwise become a leading scientist researching a cure for cancer simply because her family and her boyfriend thought her role was in the household with the kids.

• If you are lucky enough to be able to afford to be a stay at home parent, it is a full time job except you don't clock off at 5.00 or at weekends - I would say there are perks and drawbacks to being a stay at home parent as much as being in work - I think it is fair to class it as a full time job - Really in all honesty you don't know how much there is to do until you experience it.

• I should have worded it better or added more on but my phone was freezing up so I submitted what I had. However, I meant that being a stay at home parent is not a job after your is older. When they are babies it is, but not when they are in school and beyond that.

• That is more a social question alright - When I was growing up in Ireland many women gave up work to become housewives, my mother never worked again in employed job after she got married and if you ask her she had plenty to do (economics was much different then) - It is what you make of it - I would still support if you can afford it and someone wants to then stay home but I wouldn't get tied up in is it a job or not, it is a choice just someone choosing a path in life.

• i have a 10 month old daughter. i stay home once a week and work from home. trust me it's a full-time job.

now once the child is school age obviously it isn't as much work since they aren't in the house for 7-8 hours of the day.

• Its a lot more work than a full time job. Yes it's the responsibility but either you don't work and save money and watch your kids or you hire someone else to do it. If you've never taken care of a baby or child yourself and a household then in all honesty your opinion doesn't matter.

• I have taken care of a baby for one full week. It was hard because the baby would stay up really late and he cried late into the night. I ended up debating whether or not I should just go to sleep and let him cry it out (since I had tried changing him, rocking him, giving him his bottle and all that and nothing had worked) but I felt that I was responsible for him and worried that since he couldn't talk, hr might possibly be in pain and I wouldn't even know! I rocked him some more (at about three something in the morning) and by the time it was almost four he had finally gone to sleep. The problem was, he clung to my short and every time I tried to lay him down he would whine. I finally managed to get him to lie down but I had one eye peeled basically all night to make sure he didn't roll out of my bed (not my baby so I didn't own a cradle). So yes, that is defiantley a full time job. But once they hit about, four all that is over. Its not easy but after four or five its no comparison.

• I've been there more then once. I had to tske care of 2 babies one time Both my sisters where sicker than dogs and their husbands where too. Lol babies are hard and exhausting. Thats more my point I wasn't thinking of like older kids and being a stay at hone parent. More younger ones when they are not in school yet.

• That depends on the parenting technique as well as the child's upbringing and personallity. No being a parent is no cake walk by any means.

• I'm a single parent with a 6 almost 7 year old, trust me, it's a job, but I'm not stay at home, I work full-time, then get my kid from the sitter, then I parent until I go back to work.

• Job when the kids are under the age of 10. Then it's like a really easy, part-time job because the kids are old enough to do more things alone.

• Seeing as people do both that and work from home, no it's not

If that's the excuse you use to not have to work, I will look down upon u

• maybe when the kids are younger and don't go to school, but after they are in school most of the day no

• I think being with your children and shaping their lives is far more difficult, crucial, and more important than any other job you can have.

• In an ideal world, motherhood should be a full-time job.

• Is me lifting all those weights, showering and cooking a job? Lol No, I do it cos I wanna ha

• Yes.

• It's not a job.

• Well it only has to be if you have 10 dependent kids to look after or fewer but some of them are unfortunately disabled. Other wise you can make it one if you make them go to enough clubs, tuition, extra classes insist on a spotless house rather than just a not to dirty house and cook complex meals and put effort in when your guy get home massages and head before he goes to sleep.
    Other wise it's like a part time job that gets easier as any kids you have get more capable.

• Yeah it is a full time job

What Girls Said 13

• My own Mom had a 24 Hour job, yes, Full time and Plenty of Responsibility... Taking care of not only the three kids, but also Handling the Whole House and her Spouse. She gave up her own job Out of the Home and stayed 'Home' and decided to be her own Straw Boss.
    She got Paid well, sure, she did the Budget for Dad, but the only time she had off, was when Daddy Dearest took his vacation time with us, and even then, was it a Holiday for Mommy Dearest?
    She had to Take Charge as well, with All of Us, and the other Rough Stuff, while Away each Day.
    All of us, no matter the Title... Have a Job to do.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• you want to tell someone what they're doing isn't hard work? When it's a task you've never faced before in your life?

You have no experience being a stay at home parent. And, frankly, I doubt you've put even a second of hard work at all into your life thus far.

• Your so mad and I'm just chilling. 😂😂😂if it offended you so much then oh well, but your little rant didn't bother me because not one word of it is true. Go cry with your baby miserable lady

• I don't have a baby tho? 😂

• Amen sister!

• I totally agree, I just find it kinda pathetic when people act like it's oh so exhausting or "the hardest job in the world" to be a stay at home parent, yet, there's plenty of parents who both go to work and still manage to take care of their children and the household just as well, if not better, than some stay at home parents. Those are the people that deserve all respect!

• Job = responsibility

So it's your responsibility to earn money for the family or take care of the family.

I've done both and staying home is SIGNIFICANTLY harder.

• I think being a parent is a full time job. Especially if the child doesn't go to school (yet), it's super hard. I've you've ever babysat a busy child you would know. You have to attend thwir every need as well as take care of the household.

It also depends on the job. If someone, for example is a garbage man that's way more tiring than working in a call center.

• No, it's not. I hate it when I hear people saying this! I think that being a stay home mum/dad is an obligation, not a job.

Whether or not a parent works, they are still a full time parent, it's not like the child stops being theirs when they're at work. You don't hear mums/dads with jobs saying that they have two jobs - their child and the job that they are paid for.

• it requires a lot of effort... and don't listen to people who say its an excuse to not work

• I think it's a job since in addition to taking care of the kids, the stay at home parents is responsible for all the domestic chores.

• True. But I still wouldn't go so far as to refer to it as something like a career. Some jobs require the breadwinning parent to go to school or take classes that they must be successful in. And they have to deal with having to follow company policies and deals with deadlines, strict schedules, harsh bosses (not inall. cases but in many) and all that. Depending on what kind of job it is, it can be much more stressful than say, knowing you have to fold laundry and cook dinner and help little Greg with his homework. Its just not as tough to cope with.

• tru I guess, I think ideally getting a part time job in addition to being a house wife could work for the traditional folk out there.

• It is a job and you don't ever get to clock out.

• My mom is like superhuman because she was a mom as well as an Interpreter.

• I think it's actually more demanding than a full time job.

• They're not bringing in Income so in that sense, no it's not a job.

• Yes, it's a full time job. Taking care of your child, cook, do all the chores in the house and take care of your husband when he come home is a full time job.