Why does 'doing the right thing' often suck the joy out of your life?

Most Helpful Guy

• Basically, it has do with the origin of ethics and morality. When you completely free to do whatever you want guilt-free, there is the likely probability that you will have a conflict of some type with another person. That conflict may be due to being a victim of the consequences of your actions or you being the victim of the consequences if the actions of some other completely free person.

When population densities are small, the potential for confluct is low, but as we live in societies with higher population densities, that risk of interpersonal conflict goes way up.

What happens if there is conflict? Very often death or permanent injury. Unfortunately, because of our family nature, desires for revenge loom setting off more conflict which can subsequently turn into intergenerational feuds which can get out of control with lots of innocent victims whose families want more revenge justice. This leads to chaos and the breakdown of society.

Now, the creation of society is critical because, through it, we have the sharing of knowledge and mutual protection by its members that has helped us become the dominant species on Earth.

So, societies have an interest in identifying and punishing actions and behaviors which can cause interpersonal conflict. Thus, ethics, morals, laws are invented to tell people what are acceptable actions and behaviors ("doing the right thing"). And, for those who violate them, there is social ostracization and a justice/penal system to punish or isolate the offenders.

Thus, "doing the right thing" sucks the joy out of life because, for society to function, we all have to surrender a certain amount of joy-inducing freedom.

Most Helpful Girl

• We are living in this weird psuedo-fascist late-capitalist hell where enjoyment is mandatory. You HAVE to enjoy, you are not allowed not to enjoy, you need to partake in the pleasures, all of them, as many as possible, not just the bodily pleasures, but the spiritual pleasures, the intellectual pleasures, the material pleasures, the 'simple' pleasures, etc. etc. Your life has to be fulfilling, exciting, happy... And if you are not enjoying there is something wrong with you. You are disordered in some way, and need to be locked up.

nofilmschool.com/.../Videodrome.png?itok=TddL1Mfz

It is like being locked into a beautiful buffet by armed guards. However, as we say, 'there is no ethical consumption under capitalism', and we are forced to consume constantly. We are constantly hurting each other, we are always doing the wrong thing. Everything I wear was produced by exploited labour, everything I eat was produced by exploited labour, everything I touch is covered with blood. And my labour is exploited in turn. To get to my job, where I am exploited, I drive a car, produced by exploited labour, and so on, forever.

eastman.org/sites/default/files/Videodrome_2.jpg

Many times it feels that there is no right thing to do. But, when we are forced into consuming so much, eventually we will vomit.

What Guys Said 6

• It's called "the RIGHT thing" rather than 'the EASY thing" for good reason: the right thing is usually the more difficult, complicated, or stressful thing and often requires the bigger sacrifice. But once you do it, you usually will sleep better and your stress level will start to go down.

Doing the wrong thing tends so stay with you in a negative way, often causing you to do other wrong things until you either get caught or collapse under the weight of your wrong-doings.

• It only sucks the joy out of life for those that lack any sense of foresight and impulse control.

Those that have it figured out get immense joy out of doing the right thing, because they understand the long term rewards over the horizon and more importantly, they understand the consequences of wrong doing.

• this is that kind of thinking I feel... the types of pleasures you prefer - oh, you need to focus on the LONG term pleasure, AND theshort term pleasure... enjoy, enjoy your life! enjoy it as much as possible! And there is no room for suffering, yet we are all suffering

• 17 hours later I have been thinking more about what you said - "The communist stealing capitalist benefits sort of encapsulates the lacking of foresight and impulse caricature"

I was right to bring up Capitalist appropriation of previous technology/structures/etc, but I feel that I was somewhat missing the point. I think this is sort of the central division of our world-views... For you, it is alright to leave the working class 'marked for death', alienated from the benefits of capitalism, because it is necessary for capitalism, which over the centuries improves the conditions for everyone, including the very poor, generally. Right? Versus I who does not value at all the conditions of everyone, or anyone, and demands the end of the contradiction of domination, at all costs, even of better conditions, blah blah...

To this extent I think there can be no dialogue between us, but interesting conflict. Yesterdays discussion was very intersting, so, thank you.

• @Laura_Marx

Since time is a precious commodity, I must steer clear of investing too much time on a website such as this. It's not personal, it's just life. Perhaps the pressures of efficient capitalism as well.

Amazon. com was originally an online bookstore, the ultimate source for books. Since science is rigorous and objective, searching biology and neuroscience yields quality results with books and all shapes and sizes. I recommend text books, but there are more targeted books that cost less and more or less feed the same information.

Capitalism is the system for life, and at the bare bones, is functionally natural selection. Yes, people who do not adapt will pay. People who are not resourceful will be passed up. People at a disadvantage must work harder, and be nicer. It spells out the reality the a short fat man who cleans toilets experiences in his nonexistent love life. Even then, happiness is a feeling, not fate.

• I guess it's different on each dilemma. See an old lady fall down either you help her back up or just stare and laugh? I mean each situation is different.

Doing the right thing is necessarily not always the right thing as well in the end. You may up regrettinv it. Do what you feel is right for you at the time.

• Because your priorities are all kinds of messed up.

• Don't do it find out what happens.

• Cause you're evil and you enjoy the bad things

What Girls Said 3

• Define right? What exactly are we talking about here?

Doing the right thing like helping an old man who is getting beat up?

Or doing the right thing like going to college because your family thinks you should and you would rather travel the world?

• Because you're immature?

• Because sometimes you have to cowboy up and do shitty things that are no fun because they're necessary. Life isn't a party 100% of the time. You have to do the stuff that sucks sometimes too.