Did Christianity terrify you as a kid?

Like you went to church with some family member and the whole ideology ended up disturbing you greatly.

That actually happened to me as a kid to the point that it made me depressed and was deeply upset over it for a month. I know I'm probably the only person that was scared like this as a kid. XD No the church I went with family members wasn't extreme.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly I couldn't be bothered by anything except sports and video games when I was a kid. Religion wasn't introduced to me until I was older. It was probably my parents doing because they didn't want their kids exposed to any belief systems until we were old enough to make up our own minds.

When I finally did research on it seemed more odd to me than anything else. I always had a very materialist view of the world and the universe we find ourselves in. My parents used to get me telescopes and chemistry sets so I always tended to lean towards empiricism as a means to determine if things are true. I never even considered any kind of supernatural forces at work. Even today it's this alien thing to me. I keep thinking the more research I put into it the more it will make sense but it just makes me realize how diametrically opposed I am philosophically to that type of mindset.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 30

• The churches I went to taught me that God loves us, Jesus died for our sins because he loves us, and that, as long as we mean it when we ask to be forgiven, as long as we honest regret the wrong thing we did, that God would forgive us.

So, no. It never scared me.
    getting older, I see it is more nuanced then that, but the message I was always taught was that God loves us, and only punishes people who do evil things.

• No it did not scare me as a kid because I watched veggietales and other christain TV shows. As a teen it did not really apply to me. I was just filling up space and hanging with my friends at church. It was not until after highschool that I came to believe in it for myself.

• I received a simplified Bible at twelve and didn't like the horror stories in it.
    Later I read the full Bible and the Quran and didn't like them much more.
    Weird, those religious people.

• Terrify is axaggerated. But I went to a Catholic school and only went to church when I had to.
    Going to another school was no real option, the quality of education at catholic schools is overall good.
    Since I left school 22 years ago, I've only been in a church for a marriage or when someone had passed away.

• It was the opposite for me, funnily enough. It wasn't until I stopped identifying as Christian that I experienced extreme depression. Honestly, I think I wish I could go back. It gave me so much purpose, so much faith in humanity.

• The only person keeping you from going back is you. You will be welcomed back with open arms (ever read the story of the prodigial son?)

• @Skadouchebag I can't FORCE faith, though. I'll be honest, I don't think I can ever have the kind of faith I did again. I hope that I can find a way to have faith in SOMETHING though.

And I know that the church doesn't abandon people because of a crisis of faith, or even a loss of it. Not my church, anyway. I was raised in a United Methodist Church that was very well run, and I know they're there for me if I need them.

But, at least for the foreseeable future, I appear to be stuck. But I am always trying new things and learning new perspectives. I know that change doesn't just happen. If you're unsatisfied with life, you have to DO something about it. People can help you, but I know that they can't do it for you.

• The human mind has a tendancy to eventually become the thing it is pretending to be. Exploit this.

• Catholicism was starting to change from the "Fire and Brimstone" era as I was growing up but I say for my parents it was pretty terrifying as kids about what happens to sinners in hell etc.

• It bored me more than anything.

• I was raised Christian, and I am still a Christian. It never really scared me as a whole, but the eternal life in heaven has always terrified me. Ever since I was a kid, the thought of eternity scares the crap out of me. I know that it is different in heaven, but here on Earth, it terrifies me.

• Well this is a long complicated answer
    But I'll keep it real short
    For me Christianity always had contradictions
    Those didn't sit right with me
    That made me scared, I wanted to be good yet there were these discrepancies
    Know what I mean?

• Yeah was the same issue I had and what disturbed me as a kid.

• Yea I relate

• Do you have any issues that weren't adressed in my conversation with the asker?

• Not at all. My dad's a pastor, and I never got scared. and I don't bindly accept what he tells me, in fact after he first introduced me to the concept of the trinity when I was still in elementary school I initially rejected it for months. So what scares you?

• Just all the rules that seem to come with it and what you can or can not do other wise if you break them. As a kid just made me think that god would just send you to hell and be tortured for all of eternity.

• God doesn't send anyone to hell, damnation is simply a natural consequence of a soul being unrepentant; just like sinking is a natural consequence of an object being denser than water. also, it is not obedience to a set of rules that God wants, but people of a particular sort (repentant and devoted follower of Jesus). The Jews back then (and even today) thought that God wanted obedience to a set of rules, and Correcting this was half the reason Jesus came to Earth.

• No, it did not.

• You are far from the only person. It's scary stuff, all about death and torture. At about 12 I decided it just made no sense at all and stopped going to church. I never missed it.

• Is there anything bothering you that isn't addressed in my other conversations here?

• No, my parents never pushed religion on me :).

• I had several weird crisis moments, but I was a proper space cadet and just took my dad's word for it that it wasn't so broken as all that until I was old enough to think for myself and took three great big steps back from religion...

• Christianity terrified me as a kid, got boring in my early teens and now Islam terrifies me as an adult.

• The cross and the dimness of the churches sorta scared me off

• the only thing it ever did was bore me to death and faint lmao

• The shouting and screaming fundamentalism ones did, but in general no

• Quite the opposite, praying to god made me less terrified.

• No it just bored me.

• It has always been my life.

• No. I loved going to church and I still go every Sunday and sometimes on a weekday.

• Not really.

• Yes. And it terrifies me more as an adult.

• What bothers you? Was there anything not covered in my conversation with the asker above?

• @Skadouchebag dude... that, just like the rest of the interpretations are just that, interpretations. Nothing more, nothing less. Lol 1st testament? How about that nailing your own son to a cross in the 2nd testament. My gods Aphrodite and Dionysus are a lot more loving.

• Sorry, but I'm only able to make sense of some of what you said. accusing the crucifixion of being unloving makes no sense when you consider that it was voluntary.

• HELL TO THE YES!!

• lol no

• no, but i'm curious of we you afraid.

• Waste of time...

• yah jesus scares me

• yeahhh.. My parent told me that 'Fear God'. I'm always scared of doing wrong because he'll kill me and the church I used to go when i was a kid has a massive 'jesus on the cross' statue. Always scared of it.

What Girls Said 14

• not at all. i always remember thinking "God is my friend". Other kids had it tougher than i did though. their parents were really extreme, only talking to them about the wrath of God and nothing else.

When one tries to understand what God is actually like, there's no reason to be afraid of anything really.

• The Church I went to before I converted was not radical but they were judgmental. From a young age I was told Jesus loves everyone but if I didn't give myself to Christ, I would burn in hell. It didn't terrify me, but it made me confused how Jesus can be my friend but I will burn in hell if I don't give myself to him. To them it didn't matter if you were a different religion but a good person, to them you would burn in hell. The first time I questioned my Christian faith, was when I finished Bridge to Terabithia. It didn't make sense to me how such a good person would still go to hell, according to Christias. As I got I older and I started questioning everything, I would get serious anxiety because I was told not to question anything and I wondered if I was a good person. I converted to atheism and have been happier since.

• God does not send people to hell, damnation is just a natural consequence of an unrepentant soul, in the same way that sinking is a natural consequence of an object being denser than water.

• @Skadouchebag I totally believe that. They loved to gossip and cared more about other people's lives than their relationship with God or volunteering for the needy.

• Actually, now it sounds like they were far liberal Christians. I really don't know what they are anymore, but I can tell you that they were too fringe.

• I used to watch the mini movies Testament: The Bible In Animation as a kid and they terrified me. It's partly why I hate religion and the bible, so many awful cruel nasty vindictive things happen in it

• Lot's of nasty cruel vindicitive things happen in a history textbook, too.

• It is a citrus fruit like a lemon so they are related

• When my mom talked about god I got scared. I think it was mostly because my house was haunted and the atmosphere would change. Going to church didn't bother me because I was asleep most of the time, sadly.

• No, I can't say I was terrified. My parents didn't go. They sent my brother and I to Sunday School. That got old after a while.

• I don't go to church much, but I do believe in God and believe in Christianity, but when I did, I wasn't really terrified about the whole belief. I was a kid who never really got terrified easily.

• Nope not at all I was born and raised in a Christian church going family and I'm proud or it <3 <3 <3

• Kind of, I covered my eyes when we drove by the Church with a massive cross in the front lawn 😂 I have no idea why.

• No it didn't.

• It did a bit to be honest.

• No! Lol I loved going to church! I was known as the church girl. Lol!

• This is quite scary if you ask me.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...e89a30c212.jpg

• I personally had bad anxiety issues and uncertainty about God when I was 11-12.

• Yep I still think the whole idea of eating some guys body and drinking his blood is kinda creepy. Its like they are endorsing cannibalism but making it okay.

• I think you're actually talking about communion. It's a meal that symbolizes Jesus' sacrifice where the wine represents his' blood and the bread represents his' body, not some random guy being pulled off the street and using his' sacrifice lol

• I felt the same way, and I've even had to be explained several times that it's just a metaphor for how Jesus gives life to us, just like how food and drink do.

• @Skadouchebag same here. My mother told me over and over again. Each time i would continue to imagine hannibal