Is it unhealthy to be overcritical on yourself?

I tend to be overcritical over myself to try and push myself to not be content with what I have and to strive for more.
Look-wise I like to tell myself that I'm very fat so I can keep working on my body. I like to say to myself that I'm stupid so that I study harder or just try to gain more knowledge...

I noticed that sometimes it works (like saying to myself I'm fat) but when I keep on telling myself I'm not smart enough sometimes I end up believing it and it makes me lose confidence when i study for exams.

Are you overcritical of yourself? Does it work for you?

• I'm also overcritical and I think It's good.
  • I'm also overcritical but I think It's bad.
  • I'm not overcritical but I wish I was so I can push myself harder.
  • I'm not overcritical and I'm happy I'm not.
  • Other.

Most Helpful Guy

• its okay to be critical of our flaws but you have to be careful about which flaws you are critical of. Be critical of the ones you can CHANGE... not the ones you can't. also try not to distort the image of yourself you have in your mind... its not good for your confidence or self esteem and it really only brings you down. I overthink and yes can be critical of myself as well... I'd be a hypocrite if I said I never did, but over the years I've tried to be less critical of the things I can't control and more critical of the things I can. Thats how you change and grow and become a better person. Humans strive for the locus of control... we often times tend to stress over things we can't control over those we can. Either that or its just that because we can't control those certain things, they seem much worse so we focus on them more and then forget of the things we can actually control.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't be over critical and beat yourself up about things. I think it's a good thing to say hey we need to do this because... When I was over critical about my body it worked for a while but then I just ended up binge eating and making myself depressed, but when I started to love myself for who I am that's when I started making changes. That's why I don't get why people are so against the body positivity agenda it actually helped me. I thought my body is a temple so why put bad things in it. As for studying just remind yourself why you need to do it and how it can help you achieve some of your goals. When I use to not want to study, I would tell myself c'mon don't you want an a on this test or an a in the class. That would get me to do it. When you start loving yourself for who you are you will be happy. Downing yourself or criticizing yourself isn't the way to go.

What Guys Said 17

• I'm overcritical and I think it's bad... and good. I blame myself for every single thing in my life, everything, and that has caused many frustrations. But I'm glad that I'm overcritical cause it has helped me become a more complete person, and I will keep getting more and more complete cause I'm never satisfied.

• I think nobody is innocent here and we are all overcritical with ourselves. You have to look at the result if you are criticise/push yourself and it has a positive effect on you, good - If you /criticise/push yourself too hard and it has a negative effect, it is bad.

• It's called being OVERcritical for a reason. Being critical of yourself is good- being OVERLY critical of yourself is terrible and soul-destroying.

• Fortunately I'm D, I accept my shortcomings but don't "let myself go" so try to work on them nevertheless.
    I hink being overcritical makes you very uncertain. I'm always feeling sorry for them when I hear girls think all guys will look away since they're "not skinny enough" or "too tall" :o
    Whereas if they'd be proud of themselves and approach people with a smile, they'd be happy inside out :D

• Yes it is unhealthy and there are better ways to push yourself to do things, then putting yourself down.

• I think it's bad. It lowers my confidence and motivation.

• Whatever you repeat your subconscious mind starts accepting it. Look into affirmations. So instead of using negative framing use positive. Instead of saying I am stupid and should study harder. Use affirmations like I am motivated to get all A's, I am focused and study hard, I am completely calm under pressure and recall everything I have studied etc.

• It can be. I like to. push myself hard though to accomplish my goals

• I'm the same way as you. It's not bad to push yourself and to fight to be the very best, but being overly critical of yourself can really do damage after a while. It can have negative effects on your self esteem and confidence.

• These things works but not in every case
    Like in working out it works great
    Don't know about studies though
    So it depends on the situation or case :P

• Its very bad but I think we all are

• It's better to think I need to work out to improv my body to make it better. I could use some exercise. Hum I got a little tire around my belly but if I exercise I would feel better about it

• It can be bad for me at times, working on it though.

• i think it is okay to do that BUT only if you acknowledge your progress as well.

• Its unhealthy if it pushes you towards an unrealistic goal, like being overly thin. Personally I think you look great as you are now and im not just saying that. :)

• Very unhealthy after a point.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• Overcritical is unhealthy when it starts affecting your body and life negatively. I am hard on myself, yes, but I have learned to forgive myself more and give credit where it's due. Try to balance your critical nature by celebrating every little accomplishment. You are in your 20s, you are a work in progress and it's okay to make mistakes. Setting realistic goals helps a lot. Sometimes I think too big, and I am more likely to mess up that way.

• Most people do go overboard with it to the point of making themselves depressed.

• Yes and you need to stop -_-

• It can affect your self-esteem in a bad way.

• I'm overly critical about my body so I am working hard to change it.

• I used to be, and I realized I was actually damaging my self esteem.