Why are so many in this Age so threatened or even worse, offended by B00BS?

Things like outrage over Serena William's nipples being prominent over a major tennis match or the sincerely RETARDED debate over where it is appropriate to Breastfeed

Most Helpful Girl

• It's crazy how people went nuts over something like that. It's just nipples.

What bothers me more though, is the use of the word "retarded" as a synonym for "stupid" or "ridiculous".

• I agree with you on his poor choice of the word retarded.

• @daremetwo Thank you. I often feel as though I'm alone when I call people out on their negative diction. I am a young teacher who has already come across many children and some adults (in my private music lessons) who have disabilities, like the students featured in the video I shared above. They are often the most uplifting and determined students. I have one young flute student with Down Syndrome, who just gave her first performance a couple of weeks ago at her school.

• I was merely making a comparison between the two words, not grouping them together as if you had used them in the same context. Both words are viewed as negative slurs in my country. The R word is NEVER used as a compliment, it's always used to insult or describe idiocy or stupidity. Case in point, your question details. I only made that comparison to point out how lenient this site is when it comes to allowing/disallowing language that marginalizes people.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your thinking that promoting the use of this word will diminish the stigma attached to it. People have been uttering it for decades on end and nothing about it has improved. If you're the kind of person who wants to see people as nothing less than a human being, then start by demonstrating that yourself. Recognize "retarded" people for WHO they are, not WHAT they are.

I'm sure we could run circles around each other all day on this topic and not get anywhere.

Most Helpful Guy

• Violence is A-okay. Nipples and bad words are clearly the worst thing ever.

This world is fucked.

What Girls Said 4

• The time of boobie shame is upon us! :'(

• I don't see why so many get offended we all have them.
    It may also be of interest to you it's legal for a woman to go topless in public in Ontario.
    Not many do but it is legal.

• I think this is nuts. There are far worse things in the world

• Cause people are ridiculous.

What Guys Said 7

• I don't know definitely first world problems - In this day and age instant access to a global forum (internet) means insecure people who want attention have two options to outrage or be outraged. I often think of these people as "Do you remember your shock about Serena William's nipples on Thursday" "Er, Yeah... It was shocking" "Do you remember your indignant blog about BeyoncĂ©'s dancing oversexualising young girls today on Tuesday?" "Eh, of course I do... has to be stopped" ..."You ask too many questions, I am going back to my campaign to Shame the Exhibitionist Nursing Mothers hastagPutYourTitsAway"

• I was more surprised that people complained about nipples being vidible on a female tennis playrr when that is one of the main reasons people even watch women's tennis... along with the chance to see upskirts and what not.

• Usually it's because they are retarded... Boobs are awesome... if they have a problem with it... then we men should stop going shirtless... I bet they won't like that... (take a guess who I'm talkin' bout)

• People have standards.

• Yea lol Serena Williams isn't even hot, U gotta be hot to be sloot shamed lmao

• and what if i just have my dick hanging out

• I know.. I wish to offend them more by tit slapping them to get some sense