Do you respect computer engineers?

I know it is not a question that will catch most of your attention, but i really would like to learn what people think of this field of engineering :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes! Very much so. I am teaching myself, very slowly, the art of computer science. And I have a great respect for all those who have mastered it, and its applications, the modern science of processes. Computers are wondrous things, and engineering is a wondrous thing. So, yes, I do :)

It's a tough one though because I think in the fields relating to computers there are a lot of opportunities to do really... awful things, moreso than the other sciences & engineering fields? Like, everyone knows about Oppenheimer, who experienced the most profound abjection one could experience when the results of his atom bomb were realized. But its almost as if, if you work in computers, literally everything you make is like this! Most of what you do is building infrastructure for Capital, via satellites and information technology and blah blah. And even relatively modest fields like A. I. are transformed towards military interets, and police interests (a friend of mine recently had a horrific series of emails with a honeytrap A. I. trying to arrange stings on backpage - an A. I.!) - how do you know the microcontroller you engineered isn't going to be used on, I don't know, remote torture devices, or something crazy? Or that the satellite you built isn't going to guide a drone strike?

Anyway, that's not a criticism of computer engineers, moreso the inner horror of someone who (stupidly, naively) has entertained fantasies of joining the industry herself one day. Pretty much all jobs have this problem - it is the nature of Capital, our work realises the conditions of our suffering. A factory worker assembles the gun that will be fired at her should she revolt, and so on. I am kind of safe in the relatively modest profession of cooking, which realises not a great deal, and at least provides the opportunity to one day poison a bourgeois or government official who made the mistake of eating at the hotel you work at.

Anyway, yes, I respect computer engineers, professionally if not always as people.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't really know what they do but the title sounds fancy.

• My guy's a software engineer and he's very smart. I admire how smart and knowledgeable he is!

• I don't respect them more or less than any other professions

• Sure, both me and my boyfriend are software engineers.

What Guys Said 8

• First of all, computer "engineers" are not engineers. The term is misleading.

But to answer the question, I don't think much one way or the other. It's just another profession. I also think they ware overpaid. That should work itself out over time though.

• I do not.

• Fuck yeah, I do.

• Of course. Technology advancements, research and development requires engineers.

• Most people have respect for engineers.

• Yeah they are engineers lol

• whats that anyway

• Yes, because I do poorly on Computer Science.