Why would you mark a message unread after looking at it multiple times?

What would be your motive for this action?

Most Helpful Guy

• Dishonesty.

Most Helpful Girl

• To make it seem like I am not desperate to hear from the sender. Especially if the sender is my significant other. For example, if we had been fighting with each other through texting and I wanted to know what he said but I didn't want him to know that I saw it, I would mark it as unread so that we could cool down and/or so that I didn't say something that I would regret later. It is hard to not look at a message when you are fighting, so by reading it then marking it unread it is easier to walk away.

Another reason to do this would be so you don't seem desperate. Say the person is flirting or is expecting an immediate response, by making them believe it is unread, it gives you the upper hand in the conversation.

What Guys Said 1

• If you keep it as 'unread' then it will be easier for you to notice and remember the message. It will be easier to spot since majority of the messages and emails we saved are marked as 'read'. I usually put a star next to it (when in email).

What Girls Said 2

• So you can find it again?

• So someone else won't know that you read it?