Do you not trust people who struggle with spelling and grammar?

I don't mean someone you can't barely understand. Like someone you can understand but uses the wrong your/you'e, their/they're/there, too/to etc. Plus will you think that person is extremely stupid for getting it wrong?

*mini rant* For me this is a touchy subject since I have a learning disorder and have struggled with the 2 all my life. To the point now I'm terrified of letting anyone see my spell something bad or see how much I suck with my grammar. I end up becoming angry at the person and lash out at them assuming they will just make fun of me for it. I'm not stupid, I just seem to struggle with those 2 and I hate people that make fun of people with that problem. *end mini rant*

Someone who asked a question about trusting people due to this just set me off. Like I said it's a very sensitive subject for me.

• I don't trust them and think less of them
  • I don't trust them but I don't think less of them
  • I would still trust them and not think less of them
*someone you can barely understand*, sorry I missed that typo. :(
Trust as in if your on a dating website or on the internet. If they makes those mistakes would it make you not trust them and think their catfishing or lying about themselves.

Most Helpful Guy

• 99% of the time i don't care. I mean... sure if you're my lawyer i'd want you to type up legal documents correctly, but as long as its obvious what you mean i'm cool with it - even if i make a wise crack at ya :P

Most Helpful Girl

• What bothers me is someone who doesn't think language is important, or who makes no effort to learn the language correctly. We all misspell words, we all get confused, recently I started writing Know instead of No. I've been not misspelling No for more than 25 years but suddenly my brain has decided it No's best :P

Being lazy and purposefully refusing to learnt your native language I find ignorant and lazy. I have no idea why someone would not trust someone else based on their grammar and spelling though, unless they were an editor or proof reader or something similar.

What Guys Said 43

• Spelling will sometimes bother me, but there are worse grammar errors that bother me more. Mainly because when it gets bad (including lack of punctuation) it gets hard to understand.

But that has nothing to do with trust. So it does not affect y trusting them.

And I am actually more tolerant when I realize someone has a learning disorder instead of lack of caring or trying.

• What has that got to do with trust? Further more spelling and grammer is arbitary, its an arbitrary arrangment of symbols to make an arbitrary word which are then arranged arbitrarily by arbitrary rules (hence every language has completely different words and grammer rules) which where not really even codified until the 1700's (when the printing press became common enough that they needed consistent spelling (also the reason why we have silent letters because the words pronounciation changed but the spelling did not (because that would have made life difficult for those operating the printing presses)), plus its already been proven that yiou cen reed teh wrds fin evn if mispled. So no, I don't see what the problem is.

• The chick who asked a question talking about that was talking about trusting a dude on an online dating site.

• Hahaha So you're right and the vast majority of people are wrong because you say so? That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard. You did run away from the argument because you didn't and still don't know how to respond to the fact that everybody disagrees with you. You never even had an argument to begin with and All you did was reply to me with the same irrelevant ideas over and over again. Heck, why am I even responding to you? You already lost.

• @babylips14 ad populum, appeal to the majority. Its a logical fallacy one that invalidates the argument since you have provided no evidence for it. The majority of people think the US is a democracy, doesn't change the fact that we are a constitutional republic, a lot of people think vitamin megadoses are good for you doesn't change the fact that they have been proven to be at best having no affect and at worse being dangerous. If the entire world believed I was a three toed sloth, it would not change the fact that I am a human. In short your upset because I have thoroughly proved you wrong that I have proven something to be false that you hold to be true (most likely because you have been using these things as a way of validating your own worth) so now you having no logical recourse no factual data to validate your claims are resorting to illogical ad homined attacks and appeals to emotion appeals to the popular opinion etc all of which are logical fallacies.

• It doesn't have to do so much with trust for me, but I tend to kind of judge a person negatively if they have consistently crude writing.

I might not be so impressed, for example, if a girl texts me with a message like, "ur not mad r u? haha your an idiot. cu at party, b their on time"

Some of that is simply shorthand style combined with spelling and grammar mistakes. My English is not so great either as it's a second language for me, but these are usually not the types of girls I want to date.

In terms of trust, I've worked with engineers and mathematicians whose spelling and grammar might be almost as bad as the example above. Yet they're quite intelligent people from an analytical level. So I'm a little bit reluctant to judge a person's intelligence based on their writing, but there's a side of me that tends to do it anyway.

• Depends on the circumstances. If it is in a study or book that is going to be published, then I think they need to clean up their act.

On here, I could care less. It is the internet, plus we come from so many different places that English could be someone's 3rd language. Consequently, their writing in English is likely way better than my spelling/grammar could ever be in some other language.

I admit sometimes I get lazy and not check my spelling and grammar on here. I did the spelling for decrepid intentionally, because I am trying not to be so anal about such things.

• It depends on the severity of the mistakes. Some written text is illegible beyond comprehension, and that's just bad, which is why I voted A). Writing text in such a way that it can be read is really not hard.

Some occasional typos are fine though, even I make typos sometimes when my autocorrect eats words and stuff.

• C, but here's why im responding. I like your user name. How about this icon?
    media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...38b7e3643a3c.jpg

• I said A but...
    It doesn't have any effect on the trust I have for that person. I might think less of that person though. Some typos or grammar error seems inexcusable. I think that, to a point, it discredit the person having the argument. Now, if I learn that you have a learning disability or dyslexia, then I can understand. Or maybe English is your second language, like it is to me. There are good reasons, but lack of care is not one of them.

• i don't distrust them

• Absolutely C... some of us are better in getting it said, some struggle more :o
    I'm really the patient type in such cases, no problem at all :D

• Well I don't really get what grammar has to do with trust. But it does not make me think less of a person.
    The only thing I can't fucking stand is when people type "U" instead of "You" or "R" instead of "Are" but thats different because its not bad grammar or not knowing how to spell, it's just being lazy. And I feel like i'm talking to a 10 year old when someone types like that. If someone messages me with "Hey, how r u?" I will NOT respond

• I would still trust myself and not think less of me.

• I probably would trust them. However, I would think less of them depending on how bad their spelling and grammar was. Like, if their texts were filled with "txt spk" and slang, I would get pretty tired of needing to translate everything and probably stop texting back fairly quick.

• I don't care much. If I can understand what's being said/written, it's fine.

• I don't think most people care really. Sometimes depending on the scenario lack of spelling or grammer can give negative perception. Other than that it doesn't matter. I am ok with grammer but some difficulty with spelling & need to check dictionary to confirm. People having difficulty with spelling is common that's why we have spell check.

• I don't see why I woudn't trust them just cause their grammar may not be all that well. Struggling in those two departments shouldn't factor in whether you trust someone or not.

• Lol I hate grammar nazis. So no I don't think any less of them. I make my fair share of grammatical error and spelling errors 😛

• people should care about their spelling and grammar. if it's atrocious, address it.

the inner voice within your post subtly suggests that poor spelling and grammar isn't your fault, and you shouldn't be judged for it.

• I would find it hard to do business with someone who uses poor spelling and grammar, yes.

• Lol Whoe carez.. I dnt care about that stupid grammer bullchit. Lolll

• I would consider myself a smart individual (I know most people do) However, my grammar can be that of a 7th grader. Then when people attack my intelligence solely off my grammar it shows me how dumb they actually are. So no, I only judge based on the content of what is said and character of the person.

• Pretty much everyone I know is like that, so I ignore it. Besides, I've been getting worse recently. The number of times I've touch typed "that" instead of "the" as of late is terrifying :O

• Eh. I would say that I don't, especially considering that one of my best friends has a similar disorder and I don't trust them any less. But on the internet I might trust them less.

• trust has nothing to do with grammar and spelling for me. especially if it's online on a site like this where we have many people who don't speak English as language

• I'm a horrible speller and I can catch my Grammer if I go back and proofread. But I often use the wrong word or mispell something when my head is 5 words ahead of my fingers.

• I just can't take people seriously if a grown person has poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. Unless his/her first language isn't English, of course.

• Dont really care, about grammar errors. I make mistakes all the time but thats mostly cuz of laziness.

• It wouldn't effect my trust, but it would be a bit annoying to read...

• People make mistakes, no big deal.

• I generally accept that they are smarter than the average Joe.

• I would still trust a person whom has spelling and grammar issues.

• More from Guys
    13

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 40

• Spelling mistakes can be a bit annoying sometimes if there are so many of them it makes it difficult to read, but I'm certainly not annoyed at the person and I don't distrust them because of it, I mean some people are dyslexic or just weren't taught properly how to spell.

I've never really understood the people who get so annoyed by people putting the wrong kind of they're/their/there or whatever; I mean some people just weren't taught that and I was never really taught the difference between them until I was 17. Stuff like putting the wrong type the (re, y're, ir) can be very slightly irritating if you do know the difference and recognize someone has put the wrong one but it's never really bothered me that much: I can still understand what they mean so who cares?

As you say, if you have a learning disability you can't help not always spelling things correctly and you shouldn't be punished for that.

My boyfriend has learning disabilities including dyslexia and I feel bad for him sometimes since it's rare he writes things online since people just take the mick out of him for his spelling so he often asks me how to spell things if he wants to write anything.

I don't get the people who get so annoyed about it:

Some people have learning disabilities/dyslexia or were never taught spelling correctly and thus they have difficulty spelling. Why punish someone for that? Does it really matter how they spell things? Particularly if they can't help it?

Stop bloody cyber bullying.

People with these spelling problems are not necessarily stupid: It's just the way they think. You're not necessarily smarter just because you can spell.

Now I can spell pretty decently I think though wasn't taught punctuation very well and I haven't a problem with people who have difficulty spelling. Sure I may need them to try change their spellings or wording sometimes to help me understand better, but do I have a problem if they spell something wrong even though they can't help it much? I do not.

People who are mean to someone because of that just come across to me as silly, arrogant and not very empathetic/understanding.

• I wouldn't say I distrust them, but I do think less of them (unless it's clearly a typo). When I was online dating, it would be an instant turnoff if a guy couldn't use grammar.

That said, I sympathize with your situation because I also have a mild learning disability (in my case, it's short term memory loss). Everybody has their soft spots and sensitivities. I never correct people or give them a hard time if they make a mistake, just because I can't stand harsh criticism myself. While I do take people less seriously when they use the wrong grammar - and I apologize for that - I'm polite enough not to point it out to them unnecessarily.

Take care :)

• I'd also like to add that one of my best friends has a more pronounced learning disability, and she often has trouble with spelling and grammar. I'm pretty protective of her when someone gives her a hard time over something she can't control.

I hope my answer didn't come off as harsh. I mean nothing against you. Unfortunately, that's just how I feel.

• Exactly! I don't see what's so selfish about being attracted to a guy who can write eloquently. I love writing and that's why I prefer a guy who can write properly. You're entitled to like what you like. As long as you're not insulting or making fun of anyone over a learning disability, there's nothing wrong with having your tastes.

• I Had Married a man out in Egypt who was Beginning to Speak and Spell my language, @Mustacheketteh... The More he was Online with me, the More he Became Better. He said I was an Excellent teacher. When I went to Egypt to be with him, it was Even Better, face to face.
    However, speaking of 'Online,' with so many Scams and Schemes going on out there, for I did my own homework, it isn't the person who "Struggles with spelling and grammar" who should Not be Trusted, but the Other Ones who Think they are the Smart Ones and are the Ones who put the Sour Ball and All in Others' Mouths, because These are the Wise guys who have started the Ball rolling with what We are Taught to Watch out for.
    I never knew this about you, dear, I always have felt you have Great Grammar and Great My Takes besides.
    Good luck and Thank you for Sharing. xx
    Good luck. xx

• I still trust them. It may be a little irritating for me to read it but I'm not going to be an arse about it. Some people just aren't good at this stuff and there are many different reasons why. I don't wanna be a bitch over something that is, for me, so small but may be huge for someone else.

• I don't distrust anyone or think less of them. I know someone who has a learning disorder, for a while it was a grayish area. I was upset because I didn't think he was trying. Stupidly, I thought, why can't he just try to remember which there to use... why doesn't he use 'is' more when typing. But once we had this conversation about it, and every thing was crystal clear, I felt like a huge jerk. Because I was.

I can't feel any type of bad feeling about someone who has a difficulty sorting through it all.

• I have fairly bad dyslexia. I am MUCH better with a keyboard (I'm not sure why - something to do with touch typing?) but I still make mistakes a lot. So for me I don't even notice it :P And I hope people will still take me seriously despite my frequent errors.

• I have a learning disability too. I've had people judge me on mine as well. I do try, and I will read over what I wrote. I even have Grammarly installed on my computer. I know it doesn't pick up everything, but it does catch serious mistakes. I like writing for the fun of it, so I have to try otherwise people won't want to read my stories.

I've had people tell me that my opinion doesn't matter because of my grammar. Someone was making fun a girl in a Facebook comment, so I stuck up for her. The person who was making fun of her told me that my bad grammar made my comment invalid.

• Voted C. We ain't perfect lol so someone who would get that wrong isn't an issue with me. To me I feel like it's a "who cares" type of situation.

What bothers me so much is people who write as they are texting "u shud not do dis bz it's annoying as shit" just type the whole thing out man.. Lol #minirantover

• No, there's so many people that are dyslexic out there that it would actually be stupid to think less of them for this, not even to mention trust as that has literally nothing to do with a persons ability to read or write.

• If it's obvious they don't know which word to usex it does annoy me. I just want to correct them, not distrust them.

Lol... Now, I make my fair share of spelling mistakes on this site. **Especially** over the weekend when I'm on my phone. 😂😂

• If they have a learning disorder, I know they can't help that, and I would never use that against someone.
    It doesn't even bother me when people misspell or use incorrect grammar b/c we all make mistakes. What irks me, though, is when people get shown the correct way to spell something over and over, or see right in their face the correct way to spell something, but they still misspell it anyway. Like my ex-roommate/friend for instance misspells the simplest words over and over... i. e. she'll ask me if I want to go to "Toco Bell", and the other day she texted me saying she was "board" -_-
    It's annoying because we're studying interior design together and it's considered unprofessional to not know the proper terms for stuff. And she doesn't have a learning disorder or anything so that's just her plain not caring how she comes off -_-

• The occasional slip up? Fine.

But someone hu typs lke dis bruv 2 b hnst I dnt trst dem because thy nt only 4gt bout vowels dey faild @ English. + it's wll hrd 2 type fck me. Bt dis is unaccptble dey no it rong.

• Just someone with issues like they're/there/their, too/to, your/you're, etc.

• No it's not.

People here are taught vowels and they are taught the difference. Hell I don't care if someone gets it wrong (I will curb the need to correct) but there is no excuse to not use vowels and replace with numbers. That is truly
      Idiotic. And no you can't hide behind dyslexic I know plenty who spell (with mistakes) without sounding like a spastic using all available languages.

Sorry but that type of language had no excuse love.

• When autocorrect is constant trying you know you are in the wrong.

• Spelling and grammar doesn't make me think less of person, unless it's in an extreme. My sister has problems with reading and writing (I think it's dyslexia, personally) but just because she can't always spell right or use correct grammar doesn't mean I think less of her

• I have bad spelling and grammar yet I'm too lazy to correct them. But even with that I run intellectual circles around most people and I'm only 24 😂😂😂

• hehehehe mhm. less time fixin typos more time readin hegel amirite

• What? Like dyslexia?
    Why would I not trust them?

• i don't have a problem with it

• nt only do i nt trus t people wit bad speeling &&; grammer but it showz dat the person is fcuking stupid?

• I type on my phone without a spell check so it's bound to happen time to time.
    Besides a good opinion/advice is still a good opinion/advice regardless of the underlying grammatical errors.

• You will be giving bad advice anyhow.

• @lazermazer Only to those who deserve it.
      Thanks for letting me know, you're the one downvoting my opinions.
      Well now it's time to block your sorry ass.

• I'd still trust them with pretty much anything (assuming I know them and it's not a random stranger we're talking about) however, I might not trust them to proofread papers for me. That's the only thing really 😆

• Some people are ignorant, they just assume something without giving too much thought. If you explain why you have trouble in a certain area, then sure, you are helping that person become more aware and changing their perspectives on certain topics. So next time, they will give it more of a thought. Just remember, you are not spelling words incorrectly on purpose, you have a valid reason.

• I wish I could help you practice in a way, so you could understand. I'll think of something and get back to you 😋

• it doesn't affect how i view them in terms of trustworthiness.

• No, it's just a different way of getting your ideas across :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkzVOXKXfQk

• lol i trust myself
    i make sure i still make sense tho :P

• It bothers me sometimes when I know it's because they're actually stupid. For instance I hate it when people mix up the your and you're or the 3 theirs... But if it's abbreviations I think it's fine

• it's the ones with perfect grammar and perfect spelling are the ones you should watch out for
    those are your hidden serial killers

• As long as I can understand you, your advice can be taken seriously.

• English is confusing...😒

• I do trust them, but I might look down on them if I'm unaware of their learning disability.

• people who ar "slow" or who can't spel aren't trustworthy in the eyes... also shows me a mental problem of some sort ie) learning disability, anxiety issues, etc... don't trust that shit at all not one bit... also the person could be playing with u for the fun of it too - u never know these days

• Also causes unneeded stress and upsets as welll... like for example it's not hard to let someone know when u are meeting next if u have ur schedule in front of u

• Illiteracy rocks!

• More from Girls
    10