New Alton Sterling video, does this change your opinion of what happened?

If you remember from the original clip he was clearly not following orders and in this clip not shot from a rock you can actually see him struggling with officers and even making a jerking motion with his right arm after the cop screams "he's got a gun, he's got a gun". You'll need to expand and flip the video if viewing from a phone to see that movement. Does this change anyones opinion of what happened here?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll be honest, I haven't watched any videos about this situation. Saying that, I'm wondering why he's resisting arrest at all? I would think EVERYONE would have learned by now, over the past several years of instances like these, NOT to do that. The LAST thing I want to do, is give a cop (or anyone for that matter) a reason to take out their weapon. If they pull a weapon, it's because they intend on using it to stop someone permanently.

Secondly, until ALL the evidence is out (meaning the media decides to tell us the COMPLETE TRUTH vs. advancing a liberal agenda first), it's best NOT to rush to a conclusion, no matter how bad it looks on a video. Seeing someone get shot only let's you see part of the facts.

Finally, when you make cops a target, they have no other recourse than to defend themselves. People expect them to be there for protection. But if the same people who advocate violence against cops are the same ones calling them for help, what's a cop to think? That they're being set up in an ambush to be killed. So yeah, their fear for their life is on high alert. Since they carry a weapon, they have zero problems using that to defend themselves, with the law backing them!

Groups like BLM can't go around threatening cops and calling for "open season" on them and then cry foul when someone with a gun is shot by them. I want to see ALL the evidence, ALL the facts, before instantly labeling this cop a bad one.

• This is my MHO. I could not have said it better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Edit: *he had been not so nice 10/15 years ago.

• The store’s owner, Abdullah Muflahi, told The Advocate that Sterling was armed, but said he was not holding his gun or touching his pockets during the incident, the Advocate reports. The gun was later found in his pocket, Muflahi told the newspaper. Police have not confirmed his version of events.

What Guys Said 19

• no it doesn't change my opinion. he made a jerking motion? yeah so what? we don't know what he was going to do

he may have been resisting arrest be he was pretty much subdued. regardless resisting arrest shouldn't result in a fatality especially in that situation. use a stun gun. knock him out. shoot him in the arm or the knee (non-fatal gun shot).

there are a lot of options other than multiple fatal shots on a relatively subdued suspect

• You're not taught to shoot anyone in an arm or leg. You're taught to eliminate the threat. If I have made the decision to pull out my gun, that was your warning, if I then have made the decision that it's my life or yours, I'm shooting to eliminate the threat. I think this would be the same for police officers.

• resisting arrest is a right we have. one you can be arrested for but not one you should die for.

• That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they were in fear of their life, while this guy made the poor decision to resist arrest with guns involved. In my opinion they did what they had to do to protect themselves. You're free to disagree there, I'm just clarifying what we disagree on. In no way have I said resisting arrest deserves death.

• I never felt the officers were doing anything but their job and trying to live. I am well aware there are plenty just like this dude both male and female that have the mentality that rules and laws just don't apply to them. There are plenty that just have to jump to conclusion that it was a police hate crime on blacks. I'll be the first to say it does happen I'm sure , but to say all cops are that way is lunacy at the least and just plain stupid at best

• i definitely don't think it's a hate crime. sadly it happens to people of all races
      www.cnn.com/.../...ac-arrest-orig-vstan-dlewis.cnn

i think it speaks to lack of adequate training in police to not respond appropriately in the various situations they face. it seems all to common for cops to resort to physical harm or even fatal action when non-fatal action could occur

• @madhatters4 I do agree that police brutality is real and it happened way to often. As you said many of them resort to more aggressive tactics than are required , I will second that view for sure.

• From a tactical perspective they handled it correctly.. the only thing I would of done was try and clamp and armbar on his right arm but his partner already had Sterling at gunpoint and that could've resulted in a friendly fire incident. The officer verbalized that he was serious. I would of been yelling I don't want to shoot you stop stop! etc. Then again I wasn't there but those rounds fired center mass definitely put the necessary impact to stop the opposing threat. A lot of guys would of gone for a headshot... because if he was close to a gun you can still pull a trigger. .40 hitting you center mass that many times seemed to of stopped the threat from that impact alone.

Doesn't matter if it was a gun or not because the officers thought it was a gun.. if that were me I'm not taking a risk. He was already combative.. known to have a voilet record.. I sincerely doubt that he would of been reaching for a wallet in a fight like that.. what would be the motive behind that instead of just complying the the officers orders?

People don't realize how quickly this shit happens and how it only takes a split second for someone to pulls the trigger and end your life. I would of done the same in that situation tbh.

They don't realize how difficult it is to be on the ground completley winded with a suspect for even a minute. Mad tunnel vision.. adrenaline is going crazy. He's trying to grab on to something to break his falls or just to grib on to you so he can hit you.. most likely has touched your own gun numerous times.

It's easy for civilians to sit there and say they would of done this or that when they have never been in a life or death fight in their lives. Here is the deal.. death is shitty and it has to be committed sometimes.. being a cop isn't all pretty and this is a part of it. That officer didn't want to shoot him but he was forced into that situation. People see a video like this and their moral compass is telling that they have to blame someone. It's just a shitty situation that they were put in. This stuff happens all the time.. only difference now is that it's being recorded via cell phone. I personally find it incredible disrespectful to post this mans death for the world to see on youtube. That's disrespectful to sterlings family and to the officers. That jeopardizing the officers personal life because of these dumbass BLM activist that probabaly have a hit on his name.

• It's easy for you to justify the shooting simply because you know of his record after the fact, the cops didn't anything about the guy at that moment. The thing I don't understand is how they didn't know he had a gun when that was the very reason they were called to the scene. I wouldn't really use gradual fatigue or adrenaline as an excuse. They're trained professionals who are supposed to be able handle possibly extended bouts with suspects and to keep a level head in situations like those, that's what supposed to separate them from the average civilian. If they can't handle that then clearly they aren't qualified for the job. I believe cops should be more involved in the communities they serve, a white/Indian isn't gonna be able to relate with inner city people when they've lived in the suburbs their entire lives. Take the time to get to know the people and develop bonds with them so everyone can help one another, help me help you to keep the community safe.

• @jwhit They shot to stop the opposed threat and did so. Him being killed was a result of that. I'm not going to argue combat/tactics with someone who has no training/experience. Let's just agree to disagree.

• Nice of you to assume that. Even if I did you'd still disagree. I'm guessing you did some service so you may feel your points are more valid, but let's keep it real serving in the military and being a cop is different. Just because that is typical procedure doesn't mean it isn't flawed. But yeah we can agree to disagree.

• The officers did what they had to do. This guy was a career criminal and registered sex offender, not some helpless waif. He was struggling with the officers and trying to draw the gun he was carrying in his pants. And before you whine that he didn't have a gun, the 911 call that spurred this incident was from a homeless man who was loitering at that same store who attested that Sterling had brandished a handgun.

These officers should be given a vacation and a raise.

• The store owner said he didn't see a gun. And the officers should given a raise for killing a man who they didn't have any background on before they got there? Stop trying to use the man's history as an excuse because no one knew!!

• That was my understanding of the original call as well.

• No, I still think the officers acted properly and should be commended for the professional way in which they dispatched this low-life. Sterling was a registered sex offender. He wasn't the second coming of Albert Schweitzer.

• so all sex offenders should be shot?

• @madhatters4 Go try it out and see what happens. Go get into a street tussle with police officers and see if you don't get shot. Fact is, black people are getting shot by police because they're trying to do everything on their terms rather than doing what the cops ask. Always going to cause you problems.

• what the hell are you talking about? did you thoroughly ready my previous 2 comments. did I not say i don't disagree with your comment before my previous two? did i not say that resisting arrest is never a good idea? did i not say it never benefits a person? did i not say a truly innocent person will let the justice system prevail?

i don't freaking get it. i have my position but agree with you on certain things and you still fire back with another generalization about black people (we all aren't trying to do things on our terms).

I'm done with it man. your true colors show through.

• people should know if u don't comply ur gonna get shot an unnecessary amount of times. What we got here is dumb and dumber.

• Lets put it this way. Anyone answer me why a dude, who has a past from 20 years ago, gets 6 bullets in his chest and didn't hurt anyone in that moment while a dude I'm Colorado can light up 70+ people in a theater and make it out alive and basically gets off on insanity?

• If they don't trust stay then the police won't kill them

• @DaddyRollingStone that is the dumbest shit ever said, especially if you don't know what you're being arrested for. Moreover, the police fabricated the instance just to justify. There was clearly no him on his hand like they claimed so there wasn't any immediate threat, therefore no need for use of excessive force. The fact that you actually have to reach to justify shooting a dude in that matter whole keeping a guy to literally kill 100 men shows how stupid and pathetic you are. Especially when he had obvious intent to kill while sterling had intent to sell cds like he did for the past 5 years or whatever it was. Pathetic 😔

• @DaddyRollingStone and if it was a matter of resisting (which it wasn't), tasers exist for that very kind of circumstance. Nigga please 😑

• its the six warning shots into his chest that alarmed me and that hasn't changed

• There is no such thing as a "warning shot". That is only in the movies. If you have reached a point of feeling like you need to pull out your gun and have made the split second decision to pull the trigger then you are doing so with the "his life or my life" choice and the decision has been made to eliminate the threat which he did.

• so a shot in the arm wouldn't stop him pulling a gun?

• Honestly people need to learn not to resist the police they're already on edge especially now that Black Lives Matter people have started killing them. Do as the policeman says it's not that hard and it's what you're meant to do. Honestly in all police brutality incidents 70% of the victims were white 20% were black this is despite black people in america committing 55% of all crime. If anything there are to few black people being shot. where is the white lives matter movement?

• If you're on the ground with officers trying to restrain you, and you're resisting?
    Then you are being so difficult that the officer has to pull his gun, and you still resisting?
    You're either stupid, or up to no good.

• They should not shoot unless in self defense, after positively seeing a gun, not just a bodily movement.

• My understanding of the original 911 call was that he had threatened someone with a gun. So when they responded they already were responding to a possible armed man who then instead of safely following commands long enough for everyone involved to stay safe, made the choice to start fighting and resisting. And I strongly disagree with waiting until you "positively see a gun" as it could have been too late by then. If he were in fact reaching for a gun in his pocket then he could easily pull the trigger from inside his pocket. In fact we own a ruger just because of that.

• In the UK no police officer can shoot anyone unless it is in self defence. Sat in a car he could not have shot anyone with his right hand without withdrawing the weapon first, as the officer already had his weapon drawn and aimed at the guy, he would easily have been able to identify a weapon before shooting and be faster to shoot.
      We do not carry guns in the UK, that is why we have very few shootings. In a year we have less than a hundred, in the US last year there were tens of thousands. I know who's gun laws I prefer.

• Your comment doesn't make much sense. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? But I prefer to keep my guns. But that is another story.

• Nope.

• Wrong is still wrong. Was a he crook? Yes. Were the cops crooked in how they handled it? Yes.

• Thanks for you thoughts!

• if you have a gun, they know you have a gun and are physically fighting with police what do you think will happen? They first tried to tazer him.. they tried a non lethal way to subdue him and he kept fighting.. it ended exactly like anyone with half a brain would expect

• was he reaching for his gun? was a gun found on him? did he have a concealed carry permit?

• He shouldn't have been reaching for anything, not even a stick of gum in a fight with two police officers, no?

• He was a criminal anyway. Everyone ignores the fact he was a criminal and it's only the criminals who get shot.

• They didn't know he was a criminal until after.

• the point is that we never hear of a non-criminal getting shot.

• That I must say is true.

• Yeah!

• The dude was a convicted child rapist. Fuck him, I wish he had been shot sooner

• If that is true then I agree 100%. No use for a child rapist in this world.

• He was brought to court for having sex with a minor on October 31, 2000. The dude has a nice long list of criminal activity, good amount of them are violent. Domestic abuse and battery are nost common

• If a black is nailed to the ground but still twitches, just shout "he's got a gun, he's got a gun" and shoot? Did the cops show the gun after his dead?

• We went slightly past "twitching" I'd say.

• Went slightly past twitching= death penalty, judged and executed on the spot. Vigilante justice.
      No appeal.

What Girls Said 10

• Does it change my opinion that six shots to the chest was overkill? Not one bit.

• He could've fired one shot. Six is excessive. I don't care how much adrenaline you have. If you can't neutralize the threat in a better way then you're in the wrong profession.

• I disagree, but thanks for your thoughts!

• I've seen this video. Those cops were wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't care if you're resisting arrest, that does NOT give cops the right to kill! For as many videos I've seen of cops killing black men for resisting I've seen videos of cops managing to bring down someone who was beating their ass without having to shoot them. Why were these men able to handle the situation without murder but the other cops weren't?

Stop giving cops a pass. That's why this shit keeps happening. Unless their life is actually on the line there is absolutely no reason for them to kill their suspect. No one has the right to kill anyone, no matter what your profession is.

• Well I'd say resisting arrest and fighting police while in possession of a gun does in fact put the lives of the officers "on the line". Why resist arrest with a gun on your person? Common sense. Why keep giving the criminal a pass? That's why this keeps happening. We have a system for this. If you are arrested you then go to court and sit before a judge and/or jury and plead your case if sufficient evidence is provided to even make it that far. This keeps everyone safe and prevents shootings of police officers or civilians.

• It's more than resisiting, he was resisiting with 2, possibly 3 guns in play. That bumps it past a simple my hands are up but I'm rolling on the ground back and forth "resisting" scenario. And "gun or not, resisiting means you should get killed" is ludicrous, no?

• Wow lol, and resisting. No idea why it corrected to that repeatedly.

• I thought it was overkill from the first video. He doesn't have a gun in has hand or falling out of his hand so he obviously wasn't holding one. Not to mention the fact that absolutely no one in their right mind would attempt to reach for their weapon with someone holding their own weapon 2 inches from their face.

That being said, I understand why the cop may have overreacted. I can't imagine what it's like being a police officer and having your life on the line every day and always knowing, in the back of your mind, that any moment could be your last. That's not to say I don't believe he should be charged - if Alton truly didn't attempt to reach for his gun (which I, personally, don't see any truth to but I'm open to being wrong about that) then the cop was excessively brutal and he should have to face the consequences. He took someones life.

• Thanks for your thoughts!

• Nope, it doesn't.

• Overkill... Wasn't he tazed or something before? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're stunned like that can't your muscles start seizing and contracting? His torso seemed to be sorta rocking weird that might suggest that. BUT, it did look like he was reaching for his pocket.
    That being said I think the choice to shoot was okay. Maybe they could have restrained his arm, who knows. But one or two shots should be plenty.
    I also find it unfortunate that this perspective came into view so much later, when everyone already had their opinions on it and knowing people (we're stubborn bastards) it will be a hard rock to move. Not to mention inmocent lives have been taken because of it. Maybe if this video was released sooner it would have saved those in Dallas, and not pushed that batshit crazy man over the edge. Who knows, it's all very tragic :(

• I agree that it is unfortunate. So many people are quick to pass harsh judgement before all the facts come out, and by then it is usually too late. People are often guilty before they ever make it to their trial.

• It doesn't. The police came up to him aggressive, they tackled him, and said he was reaching for a gun. The clerk said they came to cause problems.

Why are you trying to justify a murder?

• Take off your black-tinted glasses for a second. If this were a white guy who'd wrestled with police and gotten shot for it, you'd be laughing at his stupidity. The fact that this was a black man who got shot is the only reason you or any other black person cares about this incident.

There was no murder here.

• My understanding of the original 911 call was that Alton had threatened someone with a gun, so the police responded to the call which is their job. If the approached aggressively it's almost expected beings that they were responded to an armed man threatening someone. Him simply following commands could have prevented this entire situation, but nobody seems to want to hold people accountable for their actions anymore. You can resist arrest, sure, but why? We have a system in place that keeps everyone safe if you will follow it. But when you resist this creates a domino effect of problems for everyone involved, and apparently that effect runs deep when you look at Dallas.

• And when responding to white people with guns they are rarely that aggressive and actually ask questions before hand if no gun is visible which would be proper police work. Being aggressive and tackling him before getting any info which is at the very begining of the first video angle that was released shows they were out of line from the start and escalated from their with the store clerks own account. Real question is where's the stores security footage that they confiscated, they must be too busy getting their story together on how it all started or its just too damning against the officers involved to not release it at this point

• I just think the cops shouldn't have had their guns out in that case. One of them could have just as easily shot his partner.

• I see what you're saying, I think by that point though it was either risk our lives and possibly save them or let this guy take them. The risk of firing outweighed the risk of them getting shot.

• What's even more crazy is that more people in Switzerland own more guns than Americans but more trained than most of us. Since in Switzerland they don't have an actual army and the people ARE their military.

• That I did not know. Interesting! Thanks!

• The "black" person was a criminal. Show me a black person who was NOT a criminal that got shot.

• No. It was still wrong in my opinion. I think there are better ways to handle a situation like this

• What would you suggest? Out of curiosity what would you say needs to be done differently?

• Fuck America.

• Leave, bitch.

• @BigJake thankfully I'm not in that shithole of a cuntry.

• That has nothing to do with anything. Thanks for your useless word vomit.