Are islamic terrorist groups different than the original Muslims?

When Islam started they went on a mission to expand their religion across the world and to rule land. They gave people a choice, die, convert, or pay a tax.

• No difference
  • Some minor differences
  • Major differences
  • Polar opposites
  • other

Most Helpful Girl

• The original Muslims were persecuted. Now, the terrorists instill that same fear the very first followers felt. But honestly, at the end of the film I watched on early Islam I had to ask my teacher a questions about why the Muslims were destroying the pagan idols after facing religious persecution and understanding how bad it felt.
    Those are my jumbled passing thoughts.
    Those guys now, I don't think the higher ups truly believe in anything but power and causing pain. I'm sure there were guys like that in the old days, but I don't think Muhammad was just out for power.

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually, that's not strictly true. When Islam started, they didn't go on a mission to expand their religion across the world and to rule land. It is now apparent that conversion by force, while not unknown, was in fact rare in the initial expansion phase of Islam. The Arab conquerors didn't repeat the mistake made by the Byzantine and Sasanian empires, who had tried and failed to impose an official religion on subject populations, which had caused resentments that made the Muslim conquests more acceptable to them. Instead, the rulers of the new empire generally respected the traditional middle-Eastern pattern of religious pluralism, which was not one of equality but rather of dominance by one group over the others.
    After the end of military operations, which involved sacking of some monasteries and confiscation of Zoroastrian fire temples in Syria and Iraq, the early caliphate was characterized by religious tolerance and peoples of all ethnicities and religions blended in public life. Before Muslims were ready to build mosques in Syria, they accepted Christian churches as holy places and shared them with local Christians. In Iraq and Egypt, Muslim authorities cooperated with Christian religious leaders. Numerous churches were repaired and new ones built during the Umayyad era.
    The first Umayyad caliph Muawiyah sought to reassure the conquered peoples that he was not hostile to their religions and made an effort to enlist support from Christian Arab elites. There is no evidence for public display of Islam by the state before the reign of Abd al-Malik (685–705), when Quranic verses and references to Muhammad suddenly became prominent on official documents. This change was motivated by a desire to unify the Muslim community after the second civil war, and rally them against their chief common enemy, the Byzantine empire.
    A further change of policy only came after their disastrous failure of the siege of Constantinople in 718, accompanied by massive Islamic casualties, led to a spike of popular animosity among Muslims toward Byzantium and Christians in general. These events prompted introduction of restrictions on non-Muslims, which were modeled both on the Byzantine Papacy's curbs on Jews, such as prohibitions against building new synagogues and giving testimony against Christians, and on Sasanian regulations that prescribed distinctive attire for different social classes. Islam went the way it did because it followed contemporary Christianity 's example.

• Oh look. Another "it's all our fault" argument.

• So it IS their fault then? Correct?

• @SnatchFinderGeneral Egypt didn't know religion tolerance before Islam
      Before Islam, Egyptian was being killed in thousands by Romans cause they followed another church
      Why noone read history nor Quran, then talk about them?
      The difference between Islam and others , that Islam game equal rights to Egyptian, that Egypt was invaded too many times, but they didn't leave Islam or Arabic, they liked it and wanted to belong to it, the only ideas and people accepted were Islam and arabs
      Same happened in Europe , that when Islam was falling in Europe , Christians European was fighting Muslims European , if you are invader , you can't make natives defend your idea
      While Jews were escaping with muslims from Europe afraid from Christians

What Girls Said 4

• Most religions have a bloody past and probably a bloody future. That's why I am a pastafarian. You can be something else and a pastafarian at the same time, but the church of the flying spaghetti monster was made to criticise religious people for doing stupid things in the name of their religions. Sure, it's amazing if you can be part of something bigger, try to do good for your god and have better options after death than nonexistence, but please don't go hurting other people for it.

• I'm pretty sure I don't share a lot with terrorists... If anything.

• no different from any other religions early beginnings. what's your point?

• Wtf? there's no comparison. Terrorists have no religion.

• thank you, finally sane opinions
      Killing and hate are just human nature
      They come in every color

What Guys Said 13

• I can't speak for the past, or others, but I know several Muslems, and one who chose, and converted, and is rather strict, in his interpretations of the prayer requirements, diet, and other things I don't understand.
    NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY VIOLENT TENDENCIES, AT ALL, IN ANY WAY!!!
    They are all horrified by the terror attacks, like non-Muslems!!! It is not the way of Islam!! They say!! But nobody is listening!!
    There are EVIL, HORRIBLE people in every religion, and to judge an entire group, by just a few horrible people is nonsense!!
    What any religion was before is not relevant, today, as so much has changed!!

• the major difference is that the terrorists don't provide options. they don't necessarily want people to convert. they simply want to enforce their will via violence without any real end (goal) aside from terror

• quran says kill non belivers and dont be friends with them in there.

• @wejustouthere what does that have to do with the question of the different between terrorists groups and original muslims? stop just posting things about what the Quran says or what he or she was like. that's not the question... in fact please just stop posting on my opinion

• It says kill the non- believers, when you are in the middle of war and they break a war agreement

What you do is you take the "kill the non- believers" part and say Quran says kill the non believers

ياأيها الذين آمنوا لا تتخذوا اليهود والنصارى
      أولياء بعضهم أولياء بعض ومن يتولهم منكم فإنه منهم إن الله لا يهدي القوم الظالمين

Go Google translate and translate " أولياء "

It simply says don't have Christians or Jews as protectors or role models
      Go educate yourself and stop repeating mindlessly

If you translated the whole sentence, and looked how the Christians support Jews in invading palastine, you will get it

• Um yes and no there are ancient terrorist and Muslim radical groups that are very similar if not almost exactly like the ones that exist today.

• That is a popular topic , but what is an original muslim? One who believes in only Quran or Quran + hadiths or quran hadithes and first religious people who saw prophet? These are so different , now the terrorist groups belong to third section. If they believed only in Quran , wouldn't be terrorists. As a man who is into religions , religion philoshopy I think this way

• How do you define the acts carried out during the expansion of Islam?

• I'm a realistic who is honest enough to say facts I know.. When prophet was living which wars occured to make Islam more popular? I'm not specialist on Islamic history I know more about Quran than history , as all I know all the wars were because of defending..

• We are not trying to avoid history
      We are sticking to history
      Why doesn't Anyone just read it?

• I don't know much about the religion but I know some Muslims personally and there are plenty of well known Muslims here in the USA. Its a shame terrorist give them a bad name. If it's so bad, why do American born people practice it?

• musims kill muslims more than others. sunnis are beleived to be the radicas who take quran word for word.

true islam is extreme, its how mihammed lived and many of the atrocious shit you see today are commanded by the quran.

the peaceful ones are cherry pickers. they follow is cause theyre born into it... part of their identity.

• Thanks for not generalizing
      , generalizing is against humanity indivual nature
      Respect

• @Dimmu you're welcome

• people think terrorist groups are a misrepresentation of islam, unfortunately, they are a perfect representation of that horrible religion

• you got it right.

mohammend, their role model lived the same

• @Dimmu hating innocents? their hearts were judged by god.. he knew they werent innocent

• I didn't walk around saying Christianity is bad,
      Actually I walk around saying Christianity is wrong , but that's completely different topic , its not about violent or hate as I said I like Religious Christians

• Why people keep asking people about Islam?
    There a main source of Islam
    If you wanna know what Islam is, just read whole Quran and Mohamed bio
    Man I have read many weird translations had mistakes on purpose, like those who says in islam it's OK to rape , wtf
    Read Quran people

• i did and i will say radical islam is the real shit

• @wejustouthere but I can't take your sin and say that's Christianity , that's what you do when you say Isis is Islam
      So I'm saying Isis are against Islam
      If you know politics you would have noticed that Isis and alqaeda had direct relationship with USA army
      AL Qaeda was founded directly by it
      And there was no isis before the US army invade Iraq
      The irony that you believe politicians
      Man politicians everywhere are full of shit

• Where did you go?
      I thought when you said Islam isn't peaceful you had any evidence lol

• Major difference. A lot of Muslims I know are quiet and soft-spoken. These radicals are destroyers. Just like the Christians of Westboro Baptist Church.

• Please don't ruin the fun in the house with some religious gibberish . Muslims are not terrorist and the West has terrorised the world for so long. Did you ever read about slave trade before? They come with bible and take away able black youth as slaves. Leave religion out these.

• BELEIVE IT OR NOT, a lot OF WHAT THESE RADICALS DO IS HOW MOHAMMED LIVED

there's COMMANDMENTS TO ATTACK AND KILL NON BELEIVERS IN THE QURAN AND THESE EXTREMISTS BELEIVE THEYRE CARRYING OUT THIS PROPHESY ATM.

SO ALL THOSE WHO SAY THEY aren't EVEN MUSLIM, THEY ARE AND MANY WHO KNOW THE QURAN WILL SAY RADICAL ISLAM IS THE REAL ISLAM.

• Evidence?

• I don't defend shia, they are like Christians to me ,
      But remember I said I like Christians :)
      Here it's rare to see shia , but there is many Christians

• @Dimmu yes agreed on that they are more christian than islamic

i have muslim friends. in fact most highschool friends are middle eastern.

• That's like saying are the KKK any different from Southern Christians.

• I think their goals are different.

• Of course they are the same, although the (((mainstream media))) tell us that Islam is peaceful.

• ist not peaceful

• Actually the mainstream media says Islam isn't good
      Don't you watch news
      It doesn't name any killing by terror unless the killer is Muslim
      They won't tell you about thousand of muslims beheaded by Christians in central Africa, or ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Burma,
      Or even that numbers say that in USA Muslims are twice as peaceful as others, meaning that it's safer when Muslims are around according to number
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2030364-do-anybody-trust-math-or-not-this-time
      Media says the opposite
      Don't believe me,, believe news and politicians lol :D